Free Member
Apr 2, 2015
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newie but caravaned 30 years
Any tips on keeping the waste water tank clean and not to pongy. I have improved things by keeping the plugs in but thought it would help by cleaning the pipes and tank but not sure on what to use.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I had this problem, until late last year, when, after starting to use Bio washing machine liquid in the toilet cassette, (instead of blue or green stuff), I poured a cap full down the sink. Hey presto! No more smells!! (y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We find ours is OK unless we drive with a window open then I put some of the bio liquid we use in the loo down the plug hole.
Wondered why there's a sticker in the cab saying don't drive with a window open.

OP
OP
T

trevtherev

Free Member
Apr 2, 2015
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Mine does not appear to have any water traps under the sink, the MH is 10 years old so possibly was made that way. I will clean the system out using the advice given and use some bio washing liquid in the tank replacing the bungs.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I used to have the same problem until somebody (can't remember who) on here said that the worst culprit for kicking up a smell in the waste tank is milk, even the tiny amounts that go in there by way of tea and coffee dreggs.
Based on that idea, not one drop of milk has gone into our waste tank for nearly two years, coupled with scraping dinner plates etc a bit more thoroughly, we have not encountered any smells whatsoever, not even in the heat of Spanish summertimes, and that's with no cleaners. (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We had exactly the same problem with smelly waste pipes, and like you we don't have traps either.
We found that the water in the black tank was 'stale' even after emptying.
We eliminated the problem by properly cleaning the waste tank by diluting some Fenwicks wateupipe andtank cleaner in a bucket of VERY hot water and pouring down each of the sinks/showers (having first completely emptied that tank) - took the van for a ride to thoroughly agitate the mix in the tank, and emptied out.
Ordinary kitchen soda cyrstals dissolved in hot water would do the trick if you didnt want to by watepipe cleaner.
Our tank was so dirty and greasy that the level indicator had packed up working properly as it was caked in crap.

On a weekly basis we add a little neat watepipe cleaner, or soda crysals directly into the waste pipe.

This basically helps to dissolve any build up of grease / bacterior, which causes the smells.

Haven't had any problems since!!!!

Hope this helps

Regards
Robert

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The coca cola trick doesn't work in my experience if the tank is really pongy.

What works brilliantly are Dometic Power Care capsules which you can find if you do a bit of Googling. Be warned the blood will drain from your face when you see the price! But, they are so good you won't have to use them more often than about once every couple of weeks of continuous use.

To use them put a capsule in the sink and pour very hot water from a kettle over it. I would only do this in a stainless steel sink as it might stain anything plastic.

The capsules are meant for black waste holding tanks but they work very well in the grey.

Bio washing liquid also useful but if you want to really zap the tank the Dometic stuff is unbeatable. Shame about the price!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Just a tip: if you are doing yer own dishes: wipe the fat off as much as poss. using kitchen towels,(even better idea! use paper plates)
Also bought some stuff at Trago Mills (If it's there, it's in all Plumbing Merchants) that is used to clean the pipes/radiators etc in Oil Fired central heating, follow the instructions (yeh! Real Men don't do instructions HAH!) Drove around a bit, and! no smells! Result!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Watch what you put down the drain; we were staggered how gloopy pasta water was after cooking and how smelly it became even over night. It would probably coat the inside of the tank with gunk which will be an ideal breeding ground for smell producing bacteria etc.

Brian Haslam

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Hi I`m a new-be to the club but have been Motor caravaning for many years and i was given a tip to put some cheep orange squash undiluted ( 1/2 pt ) down the drain and never had smelly tanks , all the best to all . Buzz.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Caustic soda is the answer!
Don't WASTE your time with anything else I tried all the others to no avail . On my new to me van the waste tank get blocking and being a newbee I didn't know what to do ,tried poking wire up ,pressure washer ,coke etc.
My mum god bless her,couldn't believe I hadn't tried caustic soda,put a good half a mug full into a bucket of water and tip a some down every plug hole in your van then go for a good drive leave overnight then a quick drive and open the tap !
As soon as you open the tap look away and hold your nose ,if it's anything like my van a gooey afterbirth like smelly mass will exit your tank followed by some fluid .Fill the tank and empty a couple of times to flush it and will be well !

Vlad

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Always had really smelly waste tank. Was embarrassed if someone waiting when emptying.
Used 10 x 2 litre bottles of ALDI's diet coke at 17p per bottle. Down sink, washbasin and shower drains.
Drove around and left it for a week before draining. Next time around grey water had no smell at all.
COST £1.70 :clap2:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Smev 20mm double syphon. It has an integral water trap.

Google it, buy them and fit them.

No more smells.

Keep saying this, nobody seems to listen or they like wasting perfectly good coke by pouring it down the drain.....

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you're going down the Cola route, Sainsbury's Basics Cola is only 10p a litre - I use it to clean up old brass and copper items by dunking them for a week in a large plastic container full of the evil stuff in my greenhouse. How anyone can inflict it on children is beyond me.

As for the MH - I just make sure all the plugholes are plugged, then the grey water tank can stink all it likes.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A lot of sinks I have seen ( including ours ) do not APPEAR to have a trap fitted, but in reality they are made as part of the actual plug fitting.
In my opinion they are far too shallow to be effective.. I spend 3 quid on a mini bottle trap and fitted it..

A tip passed on to me by Scotties was to dump a couple of litres of fresh orang juice down the plug hole and leave that in while you drive around..
previous to fitting the new trap it worked every time.. Would last a few months and then be redone..

Since the new trap has been fitted no smells at all

Also, as Tremybach points out, if you have a large amount of water in the tank and just open the valve full, it may well suck the trap(s) dry..

We always run a wee bit of water in to the sinks after a tank dump to compensate

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Smev 20mm double syphon. It has an integral water trap.

Google it, buy them and fit them.

No more smells.

Keep saying this, nobody seems to listen or they like wasting perfectly good coke by pouring it down the drain.....

We don't get smells from the plugholes - it is the smelly water when emptying which offends. :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Always had really smelly waste tank. Was embarrassed if someone waiting when emptying.
Used 10 x 2 litre bottles of ALDI's diet coke at 17p per bottle. Down sink, washbasin and shower drains.
Drove around and left it for a week before draining. Next time around grey water had no smell at all.
COST £1.70 :clap2:
Well I certainly do NOT like the taste of it so it is the best thing you can do with it. I do not know where they get it as the usual standard of goods is excellent.

OP
OP
T

trevtherev

Free Member
Apr 2, 2015
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Had a look at the smev parts ,they look useful. If the smell is coming from the tank Then I assume one of these would need to be fitted under all of the water outlet points, one in the kitchen sink, the shower room sink, and my shower tray has two. Which would have to come up to fit the smev bits to. Quite a job. Or have I got this wrong?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Had a look at the smev parts ,they look useful. If the smell is coming from the tank Then I assume one of these would need to be fitted under all of the water outlet points, one in the kitchen sink, the shower room sink, and my shower tray has two. Which would have to come up to fit the smev bits to. Quite a job. Or have I got this wrong?

both sinks , but lifting the shower tray is impractical and asking for problems.. I'd just keep the plugs in the shower drains..They should already be fitted to the shower.. maybe they are dirty with accumulated soap , hair etc.. try cleaning them..

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Replacing traps could be a major job you may regret starting
Why not try the pipe/tank cleaning options first?
If this works you've saved yourself a job

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
We use cheap runny bleach, not the expensive stuff as it contains foaming agents. So half a bottle down the drains into a half full tank drive for the day, drop waste as normal, tank now sparkly clean....simples.
PS above idea not mine, but from an earlier Fun thread.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
We put a small amount of the elsan tank stuff down each plug hole after emptying waste ready for use.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
we use plain Bi Carb of Soda, tea spoon mixed with warm water ...doesn't damage any delicate rubber washers/O rings that may be fitted

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We put a small amount of the elsan tank stuff down each plug hole after emptying waste ready for use.

Same here - once grey emptied put a small amount of elsan down each plug hole and about a litre of water on top. Once driving this 'swishes' about and gives the tank a damn good clean. When we then use the van again the grey waste comes out smelling sweet - no stink.
Have been behind some at the emptying point and they have nearly been knocked out by the stink - five mins as above before you leave site and voila,,,, sweet grey tank.(y)

Trikeman.;)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
clean with calgon half fill tank dissolve a hole box in hot water poor down all your drains drive round with it for a few days then dump the contents of tank at a sutibill location fill with clean water to swill tank
then after that when ever possible do not close your tank dump when van not in used
from time to time after that bio washing liquid
helps to keep it sweet
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back