Smartphone dashboard mount

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Squeezy, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Squeezy

Squeezy Funster

Does anyone have a recommendation for one of these, please? What do people think about phone holders that you mount on an air vent?

2. Squeezy

Squeezy Funster

Forgot to say that there was a recommendation in the November issue of 'Practical Motorhome' in their top gadgets of the year section, but unfortunately I have thrown it away. If anybody still has that issue, I would be grateful if you could tell me what make was recommended.

3. Gromett

Gromett Funster

My recommendation would be the back seat or in a bag where it can't distract you when someone texts, facebook messages you or other beeps/alarms or dings. But that is just me :whistle::p

• Like Like x 4
  4. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

Brodit every time here. Had them for years in many vehicles. They only push fit too.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Being a quality Apple product mine has a number of uses that only involve verbal commands.
    With "hey siri" enabled I can tell it to call the motorhome storage number to open the gates.
    I can anywhere in my journey tell it to "get directions" to where I want to be and it quickly opens google maps and commences navigation. I can tell it to text someone to say I'll be late etc etc etc

• Like Like x 2
  8. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Snap, so do I brilliant bit of kit a real travellers friend

• Like Like x 1
  9. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

My note is on a Samsung mount fixed to the quaterlight window which keeps it out of the way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Another vote for Brodit, they have generic bases that you can mount with screws or in my case serious double sided, and then if you change the phone/tablet you get a new mount but use the base already fitted.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Squeezy

Squeezy Funster

Thank you, but I was thinking of using a navigation app on my iPhone - not playing games or responding to social media.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Just picked up a CD slot mount. You can still use the cd player, but the holder has either a sticky mount or clamp version. Depends on where your player is, it is very secure out of the way but easily readable for sat nav etc. Think it was just called CD mount, many of these are on Amazon. Air vents get too cold and get in the way of the air flow for my liking and are difficult to fit on my particular vents.

Havent learnt how to add links or pictures yet, but type CD holder in amazon and they come up.

Yours Aye
    Michael

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

My comments were a bit tongue in cheek as I did realise what you wanted it for.

However I do believe using a phone for satnav in a vehicle is to be avoided unless you have a way of switching off all sounds/notifications. If your phone is anything like mine it is silent for days, yet the second I start driving anywhere long distance it starts beeping and whistling at me with 10's sometime 50+ messages during a long trip. Having it on the dashboard somewhere opens you up to un-needed distractions. I literally leave mine in the back to prevent the distraction. All it takes is for a beep at just the wrong time and a quick glance.....

The cheap chinese satnavs that are very popular with funsters have a 7" screen are much more readable than a phone (no peering needed) and don't distract with whatsapp and facebook messages... I believe they are below £40 now though I haven't looked for a while.

I wasn't meaning to offend you...

• Like Like x 2
  14. Gromett

Gromett Funster

• Like Like x 1
  15. Squeezy

Squeezy Funster

No offence taken! And I do take your point.