Smartphone dashboard mount (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
2 years back in 2009/10; resuming in 2016.
Does anyone have a recommendation for one of these, please? What do people think about phone holders that you mount on an air vent?

OP
OP
Squeezy
Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
Forgot to say that there was a recommendation in the November issue of 'Practical Motorhome' in their top gadgets of the year section, but unfortunately I have thrown it away. If anybody still has that issue, I would be grateful if you could tell me what make was recommended.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/brodit-phone-mount-conversion-to-cd-slot-mount.108405/
image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Being a quality Apple product mine has a number of uses that only involve verbal commands.
With "hey siri" enabled I can tell it to call the motorhome storage number to open the gates.
I can anywhere in my journey tell it to "get directions" to where I want to be and it quickly opens google maps and commences navigation. I can tell it to text someone to say I'll be late etc etc etc

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Being a quality Apple product mine has a number of uses that only involve verbal commands.
With "hey siri" enabled I can tell it to call the motorhome storage number to open the gates.
I can anywhere in my journey tell it to "get directions" to where I want to be and it quickly opens google maps and commences navigation. I can tell it to text someone to say I'll be late etc etc etc
Snap, so do I brilliant bit of kit a real travellers friend

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
My note is on a Samsung mount fixed to the quaterlight window which keeps it out of the way.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Another vote for Brodit, they have generic bases that you can mount with screws or in my case serious double sided, and then if you change the phone/tablet you get a new mount but use the base already fitted.

OP
OP
Squeezy
Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
My recommendation would be the back seat or in a bag where it can't distract you when someone texts, facebook messages you or other beeps/alarms or dings. But that is just me :whistle::p
Thank you, but I was thinking of using a navigation app on my iPhone - not playing games or responding to social media.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Just picked up a CD slot mount. You can still use the cd player, but the holder has either a sticky mount or clamp version. Depends on where your player is, it is very secure out of the way but easily readable for sat nav etc. Think it was just called CD mount, many of these are on Amazon. Air vents get too cold and get in the way of the air flow for my liking and are difficult to fit on my particular vents.

Havent learnt how to add links or pictures yet, but type CD holder in amazon and they come up.

Yours Aye
Michael

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you, but I was thinking of using a navigation app on my iPhone - not playing games or responding to social media.
My comments were a bit tongue in cheek as I did realise what you wanted it for.

However I do believe using a phone for satnav in a vehicle is to be avoided unless you have a way of switching off all sounds/notifications. If your phone is anything like mine it is silent for days, yet the second I start driving anywhere long distance it starts beeping and whistling at me with 10's sometime 50+ messages during a long trip. Having it on the dashboard somewhere opens you up to un-needed distractions. I literally leave mine in the back to prevent the distraction. All it takes is for a beep at just the wrong time and a quick glance.....

The cheap chinese satnavs that are very popular with funsters have a 7" screen are much more readable than a phone (no peering needed) and don't distract with whatsapp and facebook messages... I believe they are below £40 now though I haven't looked for a while.

I wasn't meaning to offend you...

OP
OP
Squeezy
Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
My comments were a bit tongue in cheek as I did realise what you wanted it for.

However I do believe using a phone for satnav in a vehicle is to be avoided unless you have a way of switching off all sounds/notifications. If your phone is anything like mine it is silent for days, yet the second I start driving anywhere long distance it starts beeping and whistling at me with 10's sometime 50+ messages during a long trip. Having it on the dashboard somewhere opens you up to un-needed distractions. I literally leave mine in the back to prevent the distraction. All it takes is for a beep at just the wrong time and a quick glance.....

The cheap chinese satnavs that are very popular with funsters have a 7" screen are much more readable than a phone (no peering needed) and don't distract with whatsapp and facebook messages... I believe they are below £40 now though I haven't looked for a while.

I wasn't meaning to offend you...
No offence taken! And I do take your point.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back