Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
2 years
just looking to buy a for for brabus turbo smart car for a toad are thay any good i have never drove one. thay look ace only 250 in ingland i am told ::bigsmile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i have a for2 passion not a brabus its fun
it did take a little while to get used to the not having a clutch pedal though and as it only has a standard sized brake pedal not like the wide ones in most automatics you don't tend to catch it when you do attempt to press the clutch pedal though you only tend to do it once.
i did have a slight problem when i came to drive the van for the first time after doing about 1500 miles in the smart and that was not pressing the clutch down when slowing to a stop as the smart changes down gears on its own even in manual mode.
i think you will like the brabus when you adapt to it but they do have a tendency to understeer a little if cornering hard at speed.:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i thought they were all semi auto like the flappy paddle type with the option of electronic controlled auto.
but i could be wrong.:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Look carefully for one that has been 'babied'. I was looking for one (smart) for the other half, and was put off by the fact that they all seem to have had or need an engine overhaul. The complete job is only £800 - so not bank breaking, I assume many are not driven like a 600cc car and this is the reason for the common engine failure.

Find one that has been pampered and driven by a sensible owner, and have a grnad tucked away just in case. Rare one to look out for - for future and collectable value - is the crossblade - which is like a buggy/mad max type thing.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i heard about the engine rebuild scenario and was told it mostly comes down to the fact that some service centres only change 3 of the 6 spark plugs as to get to 3 of them you have to remove the rear bumper and a few other bits and also to the fact that most smarts have not got a sump drain bung and the oil has to be sucked out through the dipstick hole so the sludgy stuff generally stays in the engine.
i have seen replacement sumps with drain bungs in them on e-bay.
also the smart forums seem to think that the clutch may need replacing at around 35000 miles but that depends on how its been driven and is a dealer only job due to the setting up of the electric clutch actuator.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Jaws is your man, he sold one last year.
I Second that he also plays with and tunes em Lyndon, Right up your street a 0-60 in under 3 seconds Smart Car:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
you'l meet yerself coming back:Doh:
Ps will you fit in one:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back