Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I didn't need to be there as the statistics for these two cars (whichever model of Jag it was) speak for themselves. The Smart is able to keep up with most other 1.0 engined cars because it is light but that neither makes it fast or quick unfortunately. I am not aware of any 1.0litre sport models apart from possibly the Brabus which can't be described as fast either.
To be honest, I've lost interest in keeping 'debating' this with you ... for some reason you just want to believe they are slow ... I have 3 at present and had a 700cc one previously which was quick of the mark, and these 3 are even faster ... if they don't suit your 'speed' requirements that's fine, but it doesn't mean they aren't fast to anyone else!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The blue one looks great and at a very good price ! Not far from us which is a big advantage.. I think the non cabrio would be better for us as well .
Thanks for the link. Appreciate it !
Yes I thought it was a good price too, there may be more, these were just a couple that I spotted - make sure you do the 'steering wheel check' to see if it really does have PAS though.

We have 2 coupes and a cabriolet and whilst the cabrio is very good the coupes are more 'practical', for example to put stuff in the boot of the cabrio you can only lower the bottom part of the boot flap and 'slot' it in under the base of the roof as this isn't movable, whereas with the coupes you lift the upper glass of the boot and lower the bottom half so have the whole of the rear to slot stuff in ... we found this out when we went to a car boot sale in the cabrio and tried to get a large box in the rear ... in the end hubby had to drop it in from the top with the roof down! :D

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
To be honest, I've lost interest in keeping 'debating' this with you ... for some reason you just want to believe they are slow ... I have 3 at present and had a 700cc one previously which was quick of the mark, and these 3 are even faster ... if they don't suit your 'speed' requirements that's fine, but it doesn't mean they aren't fast to anyone else!
Oh dear, taken the huff. They are slow no matter how many you have but most people don't buy them for their speed otherwise they wouldn't sell many. If you think they're quick that's fine but I tend to go by hard facts rather than impressions. Happy motorhoming.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
At 70 I can still kick down no problem.. and apart from top speed being limited to 94 as standard, they are a quickish motor compared with an awful lot of others..

@Charlie , no mate sorry, it is not white, it is titanium

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tell you what though @Charlie , if you want it and can take it quickly, you can have it for £4 grand.
I have the replacement coming Friday so all I am gonna do with the Smarty is stick it on the front of a car lot owned by a mate

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Tell you what though @Charlie , if you want it and can take it quickly, you can have it for £4 grand.
I have the replacement coming Friday so all I am gonna do with the Smarty is stick it on the front of a car lot owned by a mate

Thanks but I wouldn't be able to do anything this side of Christmas as I'm working solidly up till then. I'm supposed to be semi retired but it's not working out that way.
I am trying to get to look at a very late White Aygo on. 62 plate with 8000 miles complete with the tow bars to tow cars towing kit but I'm struggling to get to that one as well.
All the kit I would like to look at is hundreds of miles away !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Oh dear, taken the huff. They are slow no matter how many you have but most people don't buy them for their speed otherwise they wouldn't sell many. If you think they're quick that's fine but I tend to go by hard facts rather than impressions. Happy motorhoming.
Barista ... perhaps you ought to wait until you've been on this forum for longer before trying to think you know me ... because you do NOT. I don't 'take the huff' but I also know when there's no point in continuing to debate something with someone who thinks he's always right ... I've got better things to do, if you haven't then carry on by all means.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Not really convinced I want to know you, what makes you think that I do? I only know what I read and got the impression you thought you were always right but hey ho. I presume because I am a newbie you must know better. Let's agree to disagree and I'll give you a wave when you roar past me on the motorway.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not really convinced I want to know you, what makes you think that I do? I only know what I read and got the impression you thought you were always right but hey ho. I presume because I am a newbie you must know better. Let's agree to disagree and I'll give you a wave when you roar past me on the motorway.
No point in waving ... you wouldn't see me anyway as I'd be going past so quickly! :rolleyes:

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
I'm not getting into the are the fast or not debate, but I'll throw my 2p into the ring after buying one earlier this year with the intention of using it for towing behind the m/home on a trailer.

Fast nope, nippy yes. I bought a o9 Passion coupe 84bhp. It hasn't been without issues though. Air con condenser and starter motor failed - warranty covered those. Gear selection in auto mode seemed to be all over the place and reverse would on occasion fail to select. There is a software update which resolves this, now absolutely fine and even better since the gearbox oil (some obscure special elixir unique and costly to the Smarty box) was changed to a Redline product.

One thing I did pick up on before buying was to avoid the MHD version - the stop/start nonsense. Apparently it can fail taking out the engine. Smart, IIRC, are on fix number 3 and they're still failing.
Avoid!

Love them, hate them; as a lightweight, easy to park, nippy and surprisingly capacious little car, it fits our needs as a drag around secondary form of transport when out'n about!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Its easy to look up the 0-60 acceleration figures for any car...knock yourselves out speedsters!:)

http://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/smart-0-60-mph-times/old-new/

Last edited:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The figures are one thing. How it feels is quite another.
In a wee car like a Smart the acceleration will be felt more than in a bigger car like Say a Jag.

Who gives a monkeys and who cares anyway. If yer motor feels quick and it pleases what difference do the figures mean ...........

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The figures are one thing. How it feels is quite another.
In a wee car like a Smart the acceleration will be felt more than in a bigger car like Say a Jag.

Who gives a monkeys and who cares anyway. If yer motor feels quick and it pleases what difference do the figures mean ...........
Agree ... I'm not talking about 0-60 but 0-30 in reality and for that they are bl**dy fast! Does anyone know if there are figures for 0-30 for cars???

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Absolutely, the facts are there for all to see.
Actually they're not, not all models are listed ... see my posting above too.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Actually they're not, not all models are listed ... see my posting above too.

Maybe not available from this source but most cars have been tested by one magazine or another and all the full road tests will quote 0-30 times. The quickest are virtually all 4wd due to superior traction.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back