smart car (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If anyone does spot a nice late Smart that does have PS please let me know ? My wife would be chuffed to bits with one !
When we visited Worcester Mercedes we found a really nice 60 plate one in white and it was actually listed as having PS. The sales chap said straight away that the car did not have this rare option but that the steering was that light it would make no difference. So the boss had a test drive but unfortunately it was to heavy. I stress this would not be a problem for anyone other than with certain health issues .
The getting in and out was no problem at all. In fact she remarked how easy it was and thats compered to our Late Toyota Rav4 in which we do the most of the miles anyway. Wife in reality has the her car a Fiesta automatic on the drive just for her independence thing but it seldom gets used.
I really nice late low miles Smart would mean we could drop the existing car she has so changing rather than adding another car ... (n)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The Smart ForTwo has electric PAS which uses a motor on the steering rack so not the same as standard PAS, below is a link to the 'Evilution' Smart car website which gives you details of how to tell if a car has it or not.

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=info&mod=997

One thing to check is what wheels/tyres are on the vehicle, some have wider wheels and this makes the steering heavier - our Cabriolet for example has wider wheels so we're going to change them for the narrower ones that are normally standard on Coupes (we have a spare set) to make it a bit lighter.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If anyone does spot a nice late Smart that does have PS please let me know ? My wife would be chuffed to bits with one !
When we visited Worcester Mercedes we found a really nice 60 plate one in white and it was actually listed as having PS. The sales chap said straight away that the car did not have this rare option but that the steering was that light it would make no difference. So the boss had a test drive but unfortunately it was to heavy. I stress this would not be a problem for anyone other than with certain health issues.(n)
Not wishing you to divulge your wife's health issues, would putting a knob on the steering wheel help? When we went to pick up our white Smart car from Wales I couldn't really use my right hand to turn it (for cornering, parking etc) due to my carpal tunnel op so hubby put a knob on the steering wheel which meant I could drive it in 'auto' mode one handed (although I did use my right hand rested on the wheel to help on the straight).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Poor build quality ?
I have had ONE breakdown in 11 years of ownership, they have a higher safety rating than a Ford Focus, those made from 2008 on have the Mitzi engine and box which is shared with cars like the Aygo, the C1 and many more..
On top of that all the panels on a Smart Car apart from the tridiun ( the actual frame ) can be swapped out in minutes
how do you recognise that car has this engine/box when buying a used one please....
All 2008 (451) onward Smart ForTwos have the Mitzibushi 1000cc engine and the exterior styling of the car is different too as mentioned above. The 71bhp (most common) often has MHD on the rear tailgate which denotes it's got the 'stop/start' system too; the 84bhp models don't have this.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I was referring to the 453 model which is different.
I tend not to rate performance by top speed but more by how quickly it attains it and by present day standards they are pretty slow.
You're kidding surely! For a car with only a 1000cc engine they go like sh*t off a shovel!!! Today hubby beat a Jaguar away from the lights ... the Jag owner didn't like it though as he tried to climb in our boot when he found his accelerator!:xgrin:

It obviously depends on what car you're comparing it to ... but it is FAST! Its nearly as fast as our 125cc Sym scooters were and they were frighteningly fast away from the lights!!!! You need to know how to use the gears properly to get the best from them, as you would with any car, and the 'kickdown' on them (when used in full auto mode) is great as I found out when wanting to overtake on the motorway when we brought the white one home ... WOW!!! :D

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Not wishing you to divulge your wife's health issues, would putting a knob on the steering wheel help? When we went to pick up our white Smart car from Wales I couldn't really use my right hand to turn it (for cornering, parking etc) due to my carpal tunnel op so hubby put a knob on the steering wheel which meant I could drive it in 'auto' mode one handed (although I did use my right hand rested on the wheel to help on the straight).

Thank you but I dont think it would help .. The other thing is is how fiercely independent she is and I think suggesting one of those things might not sit well . I fear she may not like one sat on the wheel of a car. But then her independence and spirit is what is keeping her going.

Thanks though I do appreciate your suggestion. (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
All 2008 (451) onward Smart ForTwos have the Mitzibushi 1000cc engine and the exterior styling of the car is different too as mentioned above. The 71bhp (most common) often has MHD on the rear tailgate which denotes it's got the 'stop/start' system too; the 84bhp models don't have this.

I will need to get a small run about soon so one of these might fit the bill.

is there a manual gear box or are they all auto/semi auto as thats all I have seen on autotrader. what is a semi auto?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS; semi auto you can change gear with the "stick" but the clutch is auto (there is no clutch pedal in that set up ) so fully auto or stick shift ( which is great fun )

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've already said I prefer the Smart but it's not hard to recognise the frankly very poor reputation they have for build quality and reliability. My sister was after one some months back and when I asked our garage what they thought they fell about laughing . The humoured me by phoning the local Merc dealer and talking to a chap who was a master tech there and he said you have to love them to live with them.

You will of course disagree and likely tell us how great yours are and how you have never had problems but sadly the track record for these cars ain't great.

Take an admittedly boring Aygo and it's almost unheard of to hear of problems. The MMT versions are horrendous but that's a French gearbox and yes they have problems but I would not buy one of those.

As I said heart says Smart head says Toyota Aygo or IQ if an automatic is desired as the IQ does not have the MMT gearbox ..
I won't totally disagree with you - yes they have some problems but so do most cars - if you look after them though they shouldn't be any less reliable than any other car. Some of the earlier ones with the 600cc/700cc engines were prone to being 'cooked' due to owners not ensuring that the oil levels were checked regularly, on such a small engine even a little loss of oil could be disastrous - our previous 450 model 56 plate Smart with a 700cc engine had been fitted with a professionally rebuilt engine prior to us buying it as the owner had let the original one run dry! The larger 1000cc engine isn't so prone, no more so than any other 100cc car engine.

Asking a local garage about them isn't necessarily a good thing as they'll only see the ones that are usually bust! As for the guy at Merc saying you "have to love them to live with them" I'm not sure that comment would be purely in relation to the mechanicals as they are bit of a 'marmite' thing for most people (although I would put money on a lot of those who don't like them have never ever been in one, never mind driven one!). As for the build quality ... just close the door on a Smart and it has the reassuringly solid 'clunk' that it should have, try that on other cars and you can 'hear' the difference ... they are VERY well built in my view and performed very well in crash tests. We actually had quite a long chat with the guy at our local Smart/Merc dealer when we had the belt replaced to see what his thoughts were on them and also whether we should keep the 2012 plate or the 58 plate one, he said either was as good as the other, and so long as the servicing is done when required there shouldn't be any problems - as we hadn't bought from him he didn't have to be so positive.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I like them as well, had a ride in one once and was surprised. think I would not bother as seem a bit complex. C1 more practical...
A ride isn't any good Eddie, although it is fun, you really need to drive one to appreciate just what a hoot they are ... such fun!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My thoughts on speed and ride..

Sorry I can't subscribe to them being fast. Nippy yes fast ... Errr no..

They are firm.. Not bone jarringly hard but good and firm.. For comfort not the best.

But these are fun cars in the truest sense of the word. Space in the cab is brilliant . I'm 6.4 and still train hard in the gym. I hit the scales at 18 stone and I'm not fat. I have no problems getting in or out and space when in is great.

The Smart has to be the best MH tow car if only because that's what people expect to see..

I do stand by my comments on the poor reputation they have but he'll life's to short to worry.

My wife's current car has done 2000 miles in 3 years so add say another 1000 a year for holiday duties we ain't exactly going to wear one out .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I will need to get a small run about soon so one of these might fit the bill.

is there a manual gear box or are they all auto/semi auto as thats all I have seen on autotrader. what is a semi auto?
Trust me Eddie, once you've driven one you'll love it, ideal for where you are currently in London too as small and easier to park.

The choice of the 2008 to 2014 models are usually:

semi-auto: you still use a lever to change gear (you push it forward once and it then returns to the central position each time, and push it rearwards to change down, although it will change down itself if you don't want to do it.

fully-auto: on these you have the option of semi-auto or if you want full auto you just select first then press a button on the side and it will do it all for you.

paddle shift changing - this is an 'extra' which some cars have - a paddle either side of the steering wheel means you can use it in semi-auto mode and change up/down as you wish, like racing drivers do - these are standard on the middle of the range 'Pulse' models but options on the Pure and Passion models.

If you really want a manual version (just like a normal car which to me I can't see the point of) you can pick brand new ones up from around £9k upwards (depending on actual model/kit), we did consider one when we decided to buy a Smart but didn't like them - they are more 'square' in shape and wider too so have lost some of their visual appeal.

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Quick question.

Which models have a passenger side airbag and can you disable it yourself or does it have to be done by a dealer.

Cheers.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
One on Ebay at the moment with power steering ... not white I'm afraid:
Broken Link Removed

and another:

Broken Link Removed

Possibly more.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Quick question.

Which models have a passenger side airbag and can you disable it yourself or does it have to be done by a dealer.

Cheers.
The Pure (base model) doesn't usually have it, although you may find some where it's been added as an option, all Pulse and Passion models have it and yes you can disable it yourself.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
You're kidding surely! For a car with only a 1000cc engine they go like sh*t off a shovel!!! Today hubby beat a Jaguar away from the lights ... the Jag owner didn't like it though as he tried to climb in our boot when he found his accelerator!:xgrin:

It obviously depends on what car you're comparing it to ... but it is FAST! Its nearly as fast as our 125cc Sym scooters were and they were frighteningly fast away from the lights!!!! You need to know how to use the gears properly to get the best from them, as you would with any car, and the 'kickdown' on them (when used in full auto mode) is great as I found out when wanting to overtake on the motorway when we brought the white one home ... WOW!!! :D

With respect I don't think he really beat a Jaguar away from the lights, the Jaguar driver was obviously not in a hurry. I do know how to use the gears properly and know all about kick down. I would have thought that motorway overtaking would all be top gear stuff in a Smart at 70/80 mph. I don't know what your daily drive is but a Smart unfortunately could never be described as fast by any stretch of the imagination. I actually like the Smart having owned 3 but I don't let the fun cloud the reality.

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
The Pure (base model) doesn't usually have it, although you may find some where it's been added as an option, all Pulse and Passion models have it and yes you can disable it yourself.

Thanks

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
This is for Minxygirl saw these police cars in Luxemburg city this summer!
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 2

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Cancelled 2 hand slipped!!lol

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
With respect I don't think he really beat a Jaguar away from the lights, the Jaguar driver was obviously not in a hurry. I do know how to use the gears properly and know all about kick down. I would have thought that motorway overtaking would all be top gear stuff in a Smart at 70/80 mph. I don't know what your daily drive is but a Smart unfortunately could never be described as fast by any stretch of the imagination. I actually like the Smart having owned 3 but I don't let the fun cloud the reality.
.... I was there, you were not ...

As for motorway driving ... it changed down to 4th when I did 'kick down' and by heck it moved!

Out of interest can you tell me what other 1000cc car is as fast at pulling away as a Smart, barring specific 'sport' models ....?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry! I know you've got triplets at the moment!!:xsmile:

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
I/we don't like the later shape Smart at all.

All of the character has been diluted out and they now blend in with every other euro small car.. No identity anymore.

Have to admit it's not as iconic looking as the earlier ones but it is a better car. In Edition 1 guise it does attract attention and manages to look different from the majority. Up to the minute comms, pas, very modern interior and the 90bhp version goes surprisingly well even though it would never be described as quick. We just use it as a town runabout now we have the Abarth to tow which is in a totally different league

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
.... I was there, you were not ...

As for motorway driving ... it changed down to 4th when I did 'kick down' and by heck it moved!

Out of interest can you tell me what other 1000cc car is as fast at pulling away as a Smart, barring specific 'sport' models ....?

I didn't need to be there as the statistics for these two cars (whichever model of Jag it was) speak for themselves. The Smart is able to keep up with most other 1.0 engined cars because it is light but that neither makes it fast or quick unfortunately. I am not aware of any 1.0litre sport models apart from possibly the Brabus which can't be described as fast either.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
One on Ebay at the moment with power steering ... not white I'm afraid:
Broken Link Removed

and another:

Broken Link Removed

Possibly more.

The blue one looks great and at a very good price ! Not far from us which is a big advantage.. I think the non cabrio would be better for us as well .
Thanks for the link. Appreciate it !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back