Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
We are thinking of getting a smart car/small car to tow behind our motorhome using a A frame , has anyone else done this ? if so what car do you tow ? Do you use a A frame ?
I understand that you need to fit brackets onto the car and was wondering how much this would cost ?
If anyone knows of one for sell please let us know::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
We are thinking of getting a smart car/small car to tow behind our motorhome using a A frame , has anyone else done this ? if so what car do you tow ? Do you use a A frame ?
I understand that you need to fit brackets onto the car and was wondering how much this would cost ?
If anyone knows of one for sell please let us know::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I have the full kit for a Smart car but unfortunately it is stored in the garage of my house in Spain and I won't be back from my next trip out there until early May which I imagine will be too late for you.

Mike

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Had a Fiat Panda done a couple of months ago at Armitages near Leeds.
Cost about £900.
Make sure your vehicle has the capacity to tow, gross vehicle weight and gross train weight shown on metal tab under bonnet.
Mine is GVW 3500kgs and GTW 5500 kgs, therfore there is a 2000 kgs towing capacity.

So much easier than messing about with the trailer i used.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Although I have used an Aframe for many years with no personal problems, after hearing of several funsters being fined in Spain I decided to go down the trailer route. If you only intend using the outfit in the UK, then the Aframe is fine, but its becoming a nono in Europe. A purpose built trailer can be purchased for around the same money as an Aframe and wont lose much when you sell it. Here are a couple of my towcars on there trailers, winter and summer.

Attachments

• Joyner 650 Buggy 002.jpg
    Joyner 650 Buggy 002.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Smarty 001.jpg
    Smarty 001.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 59
  • RMB 010.jpg
    RMB 010.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 54
  • RMB 012.jpg
    RMB 012.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 54

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
We use our Smart Car on a Towtal A frame. Its great, works really well. However, Snowbird is right about Europe being a potential issue as a load of people have ended up with problems particularly in Spain.

We bought a Brian James Smart trailer for it originally, which is delightful to tow but not so delightful to move around on a steep driveway when you are getting old and tired, so we ended up never using the trailer and selling it a few years later :Sad:

The A frame OTOH is much easier to use and in the UK should be no problem, except that various EU stupid rules and guff are due again to wreck our lives and trailers / A frames are included this time. May be worth waiting to see how the UK takes these amendments on before committing to a big spend.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have my racing panda a framed,

Use it occasionally

Personally I wouldn't take it abroad and tbh for the amount of dosh it costed, I wouldn't do another, but now I have one it can be handy, if that makes sense.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

use mine 2 pull out picanto no probs,got jockey wheel easy a pie to couple up:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Got one one on a Chevrolet Matiz. We did use a smart but found it too small for two of us and the dog. The Matiz has 5 doors and 5 seats (at a pinch) plus dog room and is not much heavier than the Smart.
We only use it in the UK though.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Seat Mii towed with a Caratow A frame fitted by

Link Removed :thumb:

Don't know you're towing a car :thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I have a smart with a towtal a frame I have used it mainly for getting the smart home when its engine expires.

my advise unless you are buying a new smart get a couple of electric bikes as the engines in the earlier smarts are crap at around 50,000 miles they start to burn oil which leads to expensive engine failures unless they have been serviced on time with the correct oil ( which few have ).

a Peugeot 107 or Toyota iq would be a much more reliable toad.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We have an 'A' framed (Towtal) Peugeot 107 5 door. We looked at the Smart car too, initially the one we wanted, but found they just don't have enough room - the 107 (same as Toyota Ayego and the Citroen C1) has loads of room, like the tardis inside, and tows superb - the towbar system folds up and fits perfectly in the boot too. We couldn't do without it now, the flexibility is great once you get to site.

Hope it helps.

Trikeman. :winky:

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Another vote for a Peugeot 107, this time using a Chris Cox frame( but he is no longer doing them) , very easy to use, it gets used as a trailer when moving.

Nick

lavalamp

Free Member
Nov 24, 2012
Central London
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
We have an 'A' framed (Towtal) Peugeot 107 5 door. We looked at the Smart car too, initially the one we wanted, but found they just don't have enough room - the 107 (same as Toyota Ayego and the Citroen C1) has loads of room, like the tardis inside, and tows superb - the towbar system folds up and fits perfectly in the boot too. We couldn't do without it now, the flexibility is great once you get to site.

Hope it helps.

This thread is very interesting ,as I am considering using this system ;

http://www.tow-bars2tow-cars.co.uk

whilst the price is higher than competing A frames, I have seen this in action, talked to a user, and like the fact this complies with all current EU requirements and certifications with documents in european languages to support . Would welcome comments.

Silly question; Insurance, Do you ask or tell your insurance that you want to use an A Frame?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

whilst the price is higher than competing A frames, I have seen this in action, talked to a user, and like the fact this complies with all current EU requirements and certifications with documents in european languages to support . Would welcome comments.

Silly question; Insurance, Do you ask or tell your insurance that you want to use an A Frame?

Without getting into the legalities of Aframes. This one like all others is illegal in Spain for the reason that its illegal to tow a vehicle in Spain. I have had all the paperwork re, Aframes in every language for years, BUT, the Spanish wont recognise any EU regs or laws on this subject. Loads of paperwork in your hand telling Spanish plod that its legal in country of origin will not get you far when stopped at the side of the road.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012

Mine also came with all the paperwork in different languages, but after reading various threads on here i would not take it to spain.
Prob cheaper to hire a car when you get there.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
for some reason which I cannot get my head around as basically it's the same vehicle but with a different badge on but the Peugeot 107 seems to be cheaper to buy than the Toyota Aygo and the Citroen C1 this is also reflected when it comes to insurance with the pug being the cheaper and the Toyota being the most expensive certainly in these parts anyway.

maybe it's the Chav appeal of the Citroen
but it don't explain the Toyota being more expensive.
just a little food for thought.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
for some reason which I cannot get my head around as basically it's the same vehicle but with a different badge on but the Peugeot 107 seems to be cheaper to buy than the Toyota Aygo and the Citroen C1 this is also reflected when it comes to insurance with the pug being the cheaper and the Toyota being the most expensive certainly in these parts anyway.

maybe it's the Chav appeal of the Citroen
but it don't explain the Toyota being more expensive.
just a little food for thought.

Its seems to be true aba.
New - the Peugeot was the cheaper one when they came out and insurance is peanuts. In fact to insure ours we had to increase the premium by having EU breakdown cover just to make it worthwhile our insurer doing it
::bigsmile:
"no money in it for us insuring those" was one quote we had - 4 companies wouldn't insure ours for that reason. If you include just £20 per year tax and 65+ mpg - who's going to moan.
:roflmto: (where's my Christmas hat gone)......
However, it appears the second hand dealers 'prefer' the Peugeot over the other two,,,,, and I quote, "the Peugeot has the younger driver in mind - cred and cheap to get on the road - they are not on the forecourt before being sold".
I can see very little difference in them to be honest.

francour

Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
A frame

It is not recommended to tow smart car on a frame as da mage can be caused:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back