Smart 16a charger only good up to 120ah battery??

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by davidallan, Nov 15, 2010.

1. davidallan

davidallan Funster

Thinking of buying one of these SMART chargers made by RING [model rsc16] but it says 120ah is the largest type of battery it should handle . !! [Found on Fleebay !]

So does that mean its NO good for my 220ah on board Battery Bank ...? presently being supported by the factory supplied built in Zig unit [not sure what ah it puts out]

This particular smart charger also has an 'anti-sulphation' mode and handles Calcium batts.

Must I also disconnect the existing on board charger before connecting this potential newby ??

NO doubt some keen eyed 'sparky' will put me on the straight and narrow:Blush:

Many thanks ...David,Liz 'n pup

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

my rv has 4 x 120ah batteries and i have a 25amp 3 stage charger....works fine :thumb:

the original built in charger/converter had a max charge output of just 5amps and the rv makers thought that sufficient :Eeek:

the previous owner fitted a 20amp unit which seemed to be ok but as the power converter is shot the charger is doing all the work on hookup.

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

If it's SMART as in micro controlled I'd guess they set a time limit for it to reach full charge and if it doesn't it falls back to maintenance charge. Put a bigger battery and it assumes it's duff.

BUT, if you switch off and start again, second time around it will reach full charge.

Maybe !

4. davidallan

davidallan Funster

update on SMART 16 A Charger

This has now arrived and doing its work.
    TOO early to say how good it is BUT all seems fine without climbing inside the Battery:Laughing:

This RING smart charger says Max 120 ah on their web site & on Ebay site where I bought it from.

BUT ON READING THE MANUAL AND THE STICKERS ON THE MACHINE IT SAYS 200 Ah. !!
    :Cool::Cool::Smile::Smile:

a Bonus eh !