smaller m/h

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by stevensson10, Mar 17, 2014.

1. stevensson10

stevensson10

myself and sue are interested in a smaller m/h weve seen.the question I would like to ask is its a diesel engine 1.9 but its also been towing a caravan as well the engine as done 64000 but regular serviced would this have any effect on the engine would it be safe to buy as the van is in very good condition thanks steve

2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hello, don't know whether anyone can help re the van without seeing it, but that mileage for a diesel engine is ok... if the caravan it was towing was not a HUGE one then that should not have been a problem I don't think. I once had a car with that engine and towed a small caravan.

Hope others can come up with advice re what to look for, but do you know, if I were inyour shoes, and if there is a local garage that you trust, I would pay them £40 or £50 to have their engineer go out and look at it. Lot of money to the likes of me but well worth it for peace of mind before handing my money over. Good luck.:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. buttons

buttons Funster

Servicing a diesel engine is the key to longevity, 64k is not a high mileage and diesels dont mind being worked so as long as the condition and price is right then 64k is not a show stopper. What make is it?:thumb:

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

if as you say it was serviced regularly, at 64k it's barely run in.. towing a caravan would have no detrimental effects .. as said.. diesel engines like to work hard.. in fact running light can cause bore glazing ..

for the anoraks.. Bore Glazing

• Like Like x 1
  5. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Depending on the size of caravan / trailer 1.9 might be okay or might struggle. As long as it has been maintained the mileage isn't an issue. I think I would prefer a 2.3 but that's just because I've had a couple of under-powered vehicles in the past. I prefer to have a bit in reserve especially as we live out in the hilly wilds.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry

Terry Funster

Hardly run in :BigGrin: 64k is nothing,but check out the rest of the van :thumb:Towing with a 1.9 will not have hurt it at all but they may well have had to change gear a bit more on hills etc again not harming it.
    I would not mind if it had done 200k so long as the engine and drive train are sound and the price reflects this then go for it
    terry

7. stevensson10

stevensson10

• Like Like x 1
  8. movan

Let us know if you do go for it, Steve. We would be interested...:thumb:

9. tick59

tick59 Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1:
    1-9 DIESEL ENGINE NO GOOD AT ALL.WILL NOT PULL YOUR SOCKS OFF. HAD TO HAVE MY OLD ONE REMAPED TO MAKE IT ANY GOOD. THE HGV VEHICLES USED TO PASS ME ON THE HILLS WITHOUT TOWING ANYTHING LET ALONE A CARAVAN. LEAVE IT ALONE AND GO FOR A 2-2 OR REMAP

10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

as above, the 1.9 is a bit gutless so be more concerned about that than the towing a caravan. if vans were no good to tow caravans then Itinerants and travellers would have something different.

if by some chance you do decide to take this possible purchase further, take it for a good test drive and check it engages all gears without noises and the clutch is good. a good service regime is key to low running costs long term, including changing gearbox oil and brake fluid at reasonable intervals

11. movan

:Eeek: Poor Steve, bet you are really confused now arn't you.... I always am when I ask a question because there are so many varying opinions.....

Hope you make the right decision in the end.

12. Viennese

Viennese Funster

My 1998 Peugeot 1.9 was fine, and never had any probs with it. Got us through the Picos de Europa and over the Pyrenees with no trouble. If you want a more powerful van then sure, get a bigger engine, but really no need in my view - it's quite adequate. :thumb:

(and of course, more economical)

• Like Like x 3
  13. rangitira

rangitira Funster

I got a 1.9 Tdi in my Carioca, I don't have any problem with it at all. We don't rush anywhere, 55mph 0n normal A roads, 60/65on m/ways.

Said it before and I'll say it again; as long as you know how to change gear, and when, non problemo!

• Like Like x 2