Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi folks I am looking for some of that expert advice MHF is renowned for.

I have discovered a small hole approx. 5mm dia. on the external shelf below the rear window of my MH. I have my suspicions as to how it happened because it looks as if it was caused by a dropped screwdriver when the window was resealed.
Sadly I did not notice it until a couple of months after it was replaced so have no come back.

At the moment it is covered by a small piece of universal gaffa tape, but I would like to repair it. How difficult is it to do? If it is within the scope of the worlds No1 bodger how do I go about it?

Hope someone can help.

Norman

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i bought some gelcote filler of ebay for the little hole i found , easy to mix fill hole and leave proud then use 1200 grit paper wet to smooth off

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
any chance of a picture.....and what is the 'shelf' made of, plastic, ally etc ?

The monocque body work I think is PVC; it certainly isn't aluminuum. It is an autosleeper.
Looks as if the thread after yours seems to have the answer. But confirmation would be great.

Norman

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No

I have discovered a small hole approx. 5mm dia. on the external shelf below the rear window of my MH. I have my suspicions as to how it happened because it looks as if it was caused by a dropped screwdriver when the window was resealed.
Sadly I did not notice it until a couple of months after it was replaced so have no come back.

At the moment it is covered by a small piece of universal gaffa tape, but I would like to repair it. How difficult is it to do? If it is within the scope of the worlds No1 bodger how do I go about it?

Hope someone can help.

Norman

Dropped screwdrivers don't make holes in GRP the way you describe it. More likely it's an air bubble that was formed near the surface during the manufacturing process. Easy and cheap to fix with a gel coat repair kit available from many motor factors and marine chandlers, or even some supermarkets. Definately within the scooe of the worlds No. 1 bodger !

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you can get to the underneath of the fibreglass panel, it would pay to have a couple of layers of fibreglass under the hole to give strength, and give the gelcoat something to sit on, as it were.

Fill the hole, proud and then rub down with some 1500/2000 grit fine paper, Then polish with compound. It may come out a slightly different shade, as gel coats come in different shades.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
If you can get to the underneath of the fibreglass panel, it would pay to have a couple of layers of fibreglass under the hole to give strength, and give the gelcoat something to sit on, as it were.

Fill the hole, proud and then rub down with some 1500/2000 grit fine paper, Then polish with compound. It may come out a slightly different shade, as gel coats come in different shades.

It's an Autosleeper with a moulded one-piece body and he hasn't a hope in hell of being able to access the inside of the GRP panel. In any event I would say it's very doubtful that the hole is actually that - a hole - but rather a collapsed air bubble that is only gel-coat deep and does not penetrate the fibre glass layers. It's very very common on GRP lay-ups and very very easy to repair. The structural inegrity of the GRP us unaffected and they don't need any re-inforcing at all. You'll be frightening #1 bodger to death ! :Eeek:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
The monocque body work I think is PVC; it certainly isn't aluminuum. It is an autosleeper.
Looks as if the thread after yours seems to have the answer. But confirmation would be great.

Norman

PVC? :Eeek: I don't think so. At least I hope not !
I think you may have meant GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic)

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007

Hope someone can help.

Norman

Thanks to all of your for help and advice. I have ordered my gelcoat kit today so will "attack" the hole as soon as it the kit comes. Will let you all know how I get on.

Norman

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
An idea to help.

Hi,

You say that you can't get to the inside of the moulding so, when you try to fill the hole the repair material will fall through the hole. Her is a little trick to help.

1. Cut a small piece of flexible material, (perhaps a bit of scrap plastic), a little larger than the hole itself.

2. Then superglue something like a matchstick to the centre of the material.

3. Push/force/wriggle the flexible piece of material through the hole, holding onto it with the attached matchstick, so that it does not fall inside the moulding.

4. Either spread superglue or some of the gelcoat adhesive/resin around the top side of the perimeter of the material attached to the matchstick.

5. Carefully pull the material upwards, using the matchstick, so that the sticky surface of the material adheres to the underside of the moulding.

6. When dry, you will have a surface upon which to fill the hole.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ludo:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWEE6SFUdpg[/ame]