Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We Bought a cadac at the glasgow show haven't used it yet but it is a table top one and fits in a tidy bag and under our seat will have a look tomorrow to see what model it is. Looks the same as ones in the links but has no legs and can be used as an oven also.

Gerry

Gerry ......It may well be the same....on my cadac safari the legs clip underneath for table top or undo the clip for a stand alone........this is mine.... A bit more expensive over here ....99 euros

Link Removed

Mel H.....
A Good surname :winky::winky::thumb:

Denny

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
Raclette

Have you considered an alternative to a BBQ, especially when you are hooked up to electric.
A raclette costs nothing at all to run, as you are paying for the hook up anyway, and is a much cleaner way of cooking. We have used ours on numerous occasions in France.
They are fun to use as well.
Lidl have them on offer every now & then, their last offer this year, January I think, was £14.99. Check it out.
Bon appetit !
Denny.

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Have you considered an alternative to a BBQ, especially when you are hooked up to electric.
A raclette costs nothing at all to run, as you are paying for the hook up anyway, and is a much cleaner way of cooking. We have used ours on numerous occasions in France.
They are fun to use as well.
Lidl have them on offer every now & then, their last offer this year, January I think, was £14.99. Check it out.
Bon appetit !
Denny.

What model do you have..looked at raclette site and it is a minefield of diferent models....dont have a local Lidl:thumb:....Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Denny

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
Ours is a Bifinett H 30-43
Bought it 3 or 4 years ago from Lidl.
They had one similar this year but they don't hang around long. All I can suggest is to try ebay perhaps, or check Lidl web site every now & then.
Denny.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
cadac safari

Cadac arrived this morning have to say well impressed a quality bit of kit, well worth the money. :thumb:

Crafty-Camper

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
North West ( Lancashire)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
1st Year
I have just got my Safari Chef deluxe LP Cadac, it looks great, may have to go out somewhere nice & cook tea tonight/ next day or so. I had some chicken quarters cooked on a friends larger cadac at the weekend & they were perfect :thumb:. I should of been cooking them on mine, but delivery was delayed ( Stupid parcelforce couldn't find my house on friday), Today I saw the Van & stood outside eagerly :Smile::roflmto:
I wondered if anyone had the roasting pan that fits on the safari chef, & what they thought of it, if it was any good, or if a non stick round cake tin may also work as good. I am guessing would be better to get the proper one as more solid, but was just wondering.:winky: If anyone has one I would be grateful for the dimensions to :thumb: BTW the place I bought mine from didn't sell the tins.

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Ive just bought an O grill and stand, not cooked on it yet but its looks the mutts nuts, i will update after easter weekend when were back from the new forest

Link Removed
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Are you still in the New Forest? :ROFLMAO:

how did you get on with the O-Grill? We also have one we bought at the end of last summer, so not even used it at home yet. Was it good?

David

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We recently bought a Cadac Safari Chef HP as we saw it in a shop which sells second hand goods on commission - at £35 and virtually new we thought it was a bargain. We liked the fact that it was powered by cylinders as it meant we didn't have to pay a load of dosh to put a gas BBQ point in the van ... but, it was useless, well so we thought anyway, the two times we tried it I ended up putting the chicken in the frying pan in the camper to finish it off!!! So we sold it and got back what we paid so no loss there.

We've decided not to bother at the moment, we've got one of those single gas stoves that run of aerosol shaped cartrides (£4 for 4 at our local shop!:thumb:), the gas stove cost us all of £5 from a car boot sale a good few years ago and works a treat, really throwing out a lot of heat, I've also got one of the 'ring' type cooking grills which goes on top. It really does cook beautifully - no splattering, the fat drains off but the food stays nice and moist. We got it at a motorhome show a good few years ago and it is very good quality indeed and has lasted without any reduction in quality and is still as non-stick as it ever was. The below is a 'cheaper' version but for the money you can afford to replace it each season:

Link Removed

The beauty of these type of smokeless grills is that, in use you put some water in the ring so that if you cook chops etc all the lovely juices run into the ring with the water and you can use it to make some gravy (you do have to heat it up though as it doesn't get hot on its own), if you get the chance to see it demonstrated at a show take note, as they give some good tips on how to get the most out of it. Of course, if the weather is a big grotty we can use it inside too.::bigsmile:

Forgot to say - cleaning the smokelss grill is easy-peasy. When I finish cooking I poor over a little water and it bubbles then runs off into the well in the ring, then tip it out and wipe the whole thing over with some kitchine roll - sorted.:RollEyes:

swicky

Free Member
Apr 19, 2011
Cononley
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Talisman
Exp
Since 2010
Cadac Safari too low? So should I get a Carri instead?

Hi, I'm a new motorhomer, great thread this, I like the look of the Cadac Safari because my van is quite small (Autosleeper Talisman), but it says it's only 37cm high, while the Safari is 76cm. Should that be a concern - do the Safari owners out there find it an ok working height?

swicky

Free Member
Apr 19, 2011
Cononley
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Talisman
Exp
Since 2010
Cadac Safari too low? So should I get a Carri instead?

Hi, I'm a new motorhomer, great thread this, I like the look of the Safari because my van is quite small (Autosleeper Talisman), but it says it's only 37cm high, while the Safari is 76cm. Should that be a concern - do the Safari owners out there find it an ok working height?

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Surprised to see my old post resurrected. We actually went the way suggested by at least one poster who recommended the Camping Gaz Party Grille. This is even lower than the 37 cm you are asking about for the Cadac Safari.

If you have children or a lively pet about, do NOT do what we do, but we raise the Grille onto a stable aluminium folding table and that makes it very convenient and comfortable to work from. But even working at ground level, placing one's posterior alongside makes for comfortable cooking also, particularly when one hand is used up holding the bottle!

I have seen the Cadac Carri Chef in use by fellow campers and have felt a little envious - capable of cooking whole chickens and roasts etc as well - until last weekend when I followed the head chef into the washing area and had my washing up done, dried and put away whilst he was still cleaning the intricate parts of his Cadac, so for that reason alone, I am now with Jim who recommends the cheap and cheerful lava rock barbecue easily available on eBay and think turning it up to full blast when first turned on does all the self cleaning you need.

But you pays your money and makes your own choice. Welcome to the Forum.

Steve

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
GoOutdoors has a voucher in its current mailshot for a Cadac Skottel Braai which will be on offer for £59.99 between 9/5 and 15/5 if that's any use to anyone.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
My Cadac carri chef arrived this morning. l will find out how good it is over the weekend. It does look a good piece of kit though.

Craig

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
We just got a Cadoc from Tesco, 2 for 1 club point deal. My eldest son had one when we went to France last year and we were very impressed.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Beer can stoves are all the rage with our kids!

Link Removed

Link Removed

Last edited:

swicky

Free Member
Apr 19, 2011
Cononley
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Talisman
Exp
Since 2010
Re: Cadac Safari or Cadac Carri?

Thanks for all the replies folks. One further stupid question: my van's got an external point for a gas BBQ with some sort of (isolation?) valve on it. Does that mean I do or don't need to buy a 'regulator' (the Cadac sites all make the point of saying that a regulator isn't included, but don't say what a regulator does - I've no idea!)

Cheers!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back