Small chest fridge ?

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by lindyloot, Jun 4, 2009.

1. lindyloot

lindyloot Funster Life Member

A friend has a Merc Sprinter which he is kitting out as part race van part habitation. He is looking for a small chest fridge to site under a bench with a lift up lid. It needs to be no more than 400mm high.Is it possible to buy this type of fridge and if so from whom. I have looked in the CAK Tanks catalouge and they are all front opening At the moment he is using a cool box which works off the 12 volt. Many thanks Lin

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

3. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Most 'camp' shops sell these these days, go outdoors, tow sure to name but two.
    Not sure on height or quality though.

Si.

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Might sound like a silly question but hows he going to lift the lid if its under a bench:Doh:

5. lindyloot

lindyloot Funster Life Member

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You Didnt say bench SEAT did YA:Doh::Rofl1:
    Think race suport, engines, mechanics, bench = work bench :RollEyes::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Geo

7. St.Cyr

St.Cyr Read Only Funster

Hi. I have 2 RC1600s, 1 24volt and 1 12 volt. (24v doesn't appear on O'brien's site at the moment, maybe it's no longer available?). Anyway, I've used the 24v one for about 9 years now, in trucks and the MH, on 24v and gas, and occasionally mains. It's never let me down. The 12v one has also had heavy use. Can thoroughly recommend them! One was also used as a passenger seat on several truck trips to Greece and Italy ... Just noticede though, on O'brien site, it says these fridges MUST NOT BE USED ON GAS IN MOTOR VEHICLES :Eeek:. Presumably something to do with fumes?? I've got away with it so far, any thoughts??

:RollEyes:

8. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

I bought a 24 240 gas one at the Total in Zeebrugge about 18 years ago. They do need to be kept pretty level and they are very hard on batteries.

Also, they don't work at all well in confined spaces. I tried it on gas in the cab once and it left a taste on my tongue for ages, not to be recommende, but probably O.K. if you're not in the van at the time, just air it well before sitting in it.

My one had the thermostat on the 24 v side but I think most of the 12v ones thermos worked on the mains side.

This should help.

Mini Fridge

9. scotjimland

I'm wondering how you are still alive.. :Eek!:

Regulations prohibit the the use of any unvented gas appliance in the van .. just be aware that the CO fumes are deadly and not known as the silent killer for no reason.. why not use it on 12v ?

There have been several cases of CO poisoning in Spanish holiday lets and one not so long ago in Greece...

jim

10. madbluemad

madbluemad

Hi Derek, are they the one with the wind up handles on the sides :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Jim
    :Laughing:

11. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Now that would be worth having.:thumb:

No though,but they are the ones that do about two million miles,stand in as spare seats when the contents are being quaffed and are great steps for getting into the top bunk of the truck.

Maybe not the best fridges but probably the toughest.:Wink:

12. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

13. St.Cyr

St.Cyr Read Only Funster

:Laughing: ... Used them both mainly on 24 & 12 vlt but I was just commenting on the gas aspect after seeing your link to Lin re 'under the bench' etc. Would you consider running one of these in the MH that different from using the oven/hob/grill etc? Assuming sensible ventilation & so on? Whenever I used our fridge on gas, in a truck or in the MH it was always with the roofhatch or similar open ... :RollEyes:

14. scotjimland

Common sense should prevail .. :Smile:

as you say, no different to using a hob or oven, however, most cookers have a vent somewhere, usually behind the grill or oven..

Be aware of the hazard and take precautions .. If you don't already have, fit a CO alarm, LLoyds Chemists were doing one for about a tenner

jim

15. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

read the title and thought now this is not going to be about Jordans fridge is it:Rofl1: