Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
I too listened to the wise man on the hill and last xmas bought the wife a google nexus she loved it and responded by purchasing the
samsung tab 2 for me she now uses that and I have the nexus for general and van use. I had my upgrade for my Galaxy s2 for the s4 she now uses that and prefers it to her Apple iphone . Its horse's for courses.:roflmto:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I really is a crazy comparison!!!

There is going to be absolutely nothing similar between a £40 Android device and a device costing ten to fifteen times the price.

If you want a true comparison check out the latest Samsung Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) when it is released. That is the equivalent to an iPad, and if it is anywhere near as good as the reviews then it will seriously rock.

I do think an iPad is ideal for people who are not very tech-savvy as they have everything seriously locked down (e.g. no file manager access), but for those who want more flexibility I'd go Android every time.

That said, if all you do is browse the net, check email and play the odd game then even a £40 Android device would probably suffice or even the excellent, if seriously under-rated, Blackberry Playbook would be perfect as for about £100 you can pick up a 64 gig device which is perfect for storing lots of movies on to watch in the MH, and it will plug directly into an HDMI TV with a lead that costs less than five pounds.

The new Kindle Fire looks pretty cool too.

So in your (yorkshire?) opinion I am both crazy and stupid.......... :Eeek:

Well, for the record I don't rate you much either :Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you actually bothered to read the thread, the idea of getting a small, cheap Android tablet had nothing whatsoever to do with comparing iPads to £40 devices...........:Eeek:

It however had everything to do with taking an inexpensive look at the difference in operating systems between iOS and Android. :Eeek::Eeek:

Camcondor I do not know where you got the idea the poster called you personally anything but it was not from the above post your reply is
1 rude
2 a breach of rule 1
3 maybe you should take your own advice and read what is written before you personally attack someone perhaps you are just having a bad day:Eeek:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
.........,although i like the iphone i hate the apple operating system.......

I suppose there will always be those that hate one or the other. I swapped over to OSX and iOS years ago and could never go back. I tried Android on a nexus 7 and found it awful, maybe I should buy one and give it a chance..
They can't be that bad, I suppose it just getting used to the system and getting rid of preconceived ideas.
If course, that doesn't apply with anything Microsoft. It's the devils work!

Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Camcondor I do not know where you got the idea the poster called you personally anything but it was not from the above post your reply is
1 rude
2 a breach of rule 1
3 maybe you should take your own advice and read what is written before you personally attack someone perhaps you are just having a bad day:Eeek:

Actually if you read the post it started off saying what a "crazy comparison" it was and how technically inept users of iPads are, so I find that rather insulting, whether you do or not! And I responded to the insults slung at me by that poster, it was not a "personal attack", although that poster certainly launched a personal attack on me. :Eeek:

And I will express my views without YOUR permission, either. So maybe you are having a bad day then? :Eeek:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Thank you for the reply that just confirms my opinion of your post you read what is not there.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Now now children lets play nice together ::bigsmile:
Anyone who thinks CC was doing a stright comparison between the £40 andriod and £650 apple tab must have a problem -after all CC made it clear they wanted to simply try the andriod :thumb:
Bet you are quite impressed with what you can do for 40 quid :winky:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That sounds remarkably like communism.

You know, that is exactly what I was thinking as I posted it.

In theory we could achieve so much more if we all pulled our way and took the same out of the pot. Who in here applauds bankers wages ?

But Russia proved that it does not work that way.

That does not stop the EU forever adding controls on what we can and can not do.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Actually if you read the post it started off saying what a "crazy comparison" it was

But it wasn't "personal" "crazy".

And I don't see it as crazy anyway. A £40 Android and £600 iPad do much the same job. It's quite possible many of the parts inside come from the same factories. What you would expect for £600 is better quality, higher specs and longer life.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thank you for the reply that just confirms my opinion of your post you read what is not there.

We all do that, don't we :RollEyes:

( As I did to one of John's )

It's so very easy. "A crazy comparison", I am doing this so I am crazy. Did he mean that ? Was it just a turn of phase ?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What you would expect for £600 is better quality, higher specs and longer life.

But what you also get is a huge marketing budget, a much higher profit level, and lots of smug looking shop assistants ready to pounce when you put fingerprints on their "shiny shiny" (the last part is a hobby of mine).

Not complaining, just comparing.

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class

I can read very well, thank you. The poster you are defending so vigorously obviously didn't bother, though, choosing to insult me instead. :Eeek:

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Now now children lets play nice together ::bigsmile:
Anyone who thinks CC was doing a stright comparison between the £40 andriod and £650 apple tab must have a problem -after all CC made it clear they wanted to simply try the andriod :thumb:
Bet you are quite impressed with what you can do for 40 quid :winky:
terry

Quite. :Smile: Yes, the little device is amazing for the money. It will let me explore Android a bit more, which is what I aimed to do without spending £100's on it. :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I don't know how to drive half of what any of my devices are capable of so I would be quite prepaired to and often do buy a close speced item for a quarter of the price of a top of the range one -- I bought a cheap ish chineese 10 ins tablet that did all I asked of it :thumb: then bought a so called lot better Samsung tab 2 for more than double the price and that does all I am capable of asking it to do :thumb: If anything the cheapo is better insome respects given that it comes with more conectivity -micro usb -usb -etc where as the SS only comes with one port that you have to buy leads to fit anything else to it.
I borrowed a 7 ins lenovo tablet and that had even more ports etc but after having the 10 ins the 7 ins was simply too small :Smile:
I am after a cheapo smart phone with 4g and gps around 5 ins or bigger if anyone knows one :winky:
terry

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Currys got a good deal at the moment 7 inch Tablet @ £199.99 £70 off=£129.99+ £20 voucher IN STORE ONLY

Advert in todays DM

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
One thing missing from your comparison is your familiarity with the Apple OS.
Allowances for hardware vs price can easily be made, and judgements about similar specs - but it is very hard to compare two operating systems fairly if you are used to using one or another.
Apple frustrates me as I'm used to Windows & Android - that is not saying I think Windows or Android is better than Apple, simply I'm more used to those OS's and know how to deal with those limitations.
I'd cope, but struggle to get the "best" out of an iPhone.

I had an iPad, gave it away because of the frustrations of the Apple restrictions, got a Blackberry Playbook which I think is fantastic but ultimately doomed because of the limited software & apps. Just bought a cheap as chips Tesco Hudl... does all that's needed. Excellent compromise of hardware, price and operating system...

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
One thing missing from your comparison is your familiarity with the Apple OS.
Allowances for hardware vs price can easily be made, and judgements about similar specs - but it is very hard to compare two operating systems fairly if you are used to using one or another.
Apple frustrates me as I'm used to Windows & Android - that is not saying I think Windows or Android is better than Apple, simply I'm more used to those OS's and know how to deal with those limitations.
I'd cope, but struggle to get the "best" out of an iPhone.

[HI]I had an iPad, gave it away because of the frustrations of the Apple restrictions, [/HI]got a Blackberry Playbook which I think is fantastic but ultimately doomed because of the limited software & apps. Just bought a cheap as chips Tesco Hudl... does all that's needed. Excellent compromise of hardware, price and operating system...

Gave it away?, free, gratis, my god you really are a man of principles:RollEyes:, throw your next one away this way please:winky:

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
The shopping channel www.idealworld.tv/ have a special offer on a refurbished Versus 16gb 7 inch tablet for £59.99 and 2 months to pay. Looks a good deal if you want one.

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
Can only offer a phone comparison on the apple v android debate.

Many years ago I had an iphone 3gs, thought it was the best thing ever invented! It sadly went for a ride in our washing machine. I then went onto android (HTC) and was very impressed with the os and the flexibility. Had a few other android device's after that up to my current Samsung galaxy 3 which is an amazing bit of tech (would like to have a go at the s4).
But yesterday I was handed my new work mobile (iphone 5s) and erm im stuck! Fantastic piece of kit but with the norm apple lock down but very impressed so far.

So far ive had the iphone in my hand more this weekend and my poor s3 I fear is feeling unloved, could I be turned back to apple? :Eeek:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You can jaibreak an iPhone / ipad, then you have a lot more to play with. Lots of apps to get into the inner workings, if that's what you want. Personally, I like the simplicity if iOS. I have a file browsing app if I feel the urge to delve a bit deeper.
I don't think one system is better than the other, they are different and you pick the one that suits.
Same as Microsoft and Apple. I have no preference for either.....:winky:
Allan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 3

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
This is more lively than the rugby thread::bigsmile:

The only thing I really like about my iPad is how easy it is to use. I am not at all computer literate so it was a breath of fresh air compared to my old Windows lap top.

We bought my father in law a Kindle Fire HD and it was ok but not nearly as easy to use as the iPad.

Not sure though that I could justify the expense of buying another iPad especially when I read the reports about these other tablets on the market.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Gave it away?, free, gratis, my god you really are a man of principles:RollEyes:, throw your next one away this way please:winky:
It was to my niece/god-daughter :roflmto:.
I'll keep you in mind in the extremely unlikely event I buy another piece of overpriced, overhyped Apple gadgetry :ROFLMAO:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I am not expecting a lot from a £40 device, really.

If it is a good android I think you will be pleasantly surprised, we had a nexus 7 each last Xmas and Julie is never off hers, but I won a ipad in a raffle and as it has a larger screen I tend to use that now but not because i think it is better in any other way.
And as for sat nav on nexus, they just can't be beat , better than any sat nav I have had and I have had a few.
The ipad with no gps is no good for that at all.

its from this seller Chrisgreen, Link Removed

Except I got it a bit cheaper as I had an ebay discount voucher.

Thank you so much for this link, I have just ordered one, with case and querty keyboard, from Amazon. Same price as eBay and 5.99 for case and keyboard. My grandson will love it for. Christmas.

Ginny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back