Small android tablet with GPS chipset? (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
can anyone recommend one of the above which can be used to run sygic,co pilot etc without the need for a data connection.Bit worried some of the cheap ones won't have a very good screen resolution which would make it difficult to see in bright sunlight when mounted on the van windscreen.Thank You.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Most (if not all) will have a GPS functionality. The screen is much more subjective, and is really down to personal preference. I'd advise a trip to your nearest PC World or similar, and check them all out!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You won't go far wrong with a Samsung Galaxy Tab, one of the originals and still one of the best.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Any tablet with GPS chip will work (you don't have to have data connected). Just a thought, I have spent the last two years running Sygic on my Phablet. I have finally come to the conclusion that it is still a compromise................ and bought a dedicated TomTom Satnav................... I'm happier now(y)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I'm running TomTom Mobile on a Hudl2. The gps response is superb, better than my "old" dedicated TT.

I've tried Navmi and Co-pilot but not been impressed: Navmi didn't seem to allow anything other than one destination (no "travel via" function?) and Co-pilot didn't seem to want to follow my journey (just remained centred on my initial position?). TT Mobile is very flexible with good directions BUT costs £16 (approx) for a years usage (or 50 free miles per month) [£35 for 3y].

What does Sygic do? Thanks - Gordon

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
I like the graphics on Sygic and that it alerts you to up and coming points of interest which you determine IE wild camping spots,CL sites etc.I have been using a Garmin camper but it sent me down a few single track roads in Belguim and Switzerland so have lost a bit of confidence in it,although I may go back if nothing else seems any better.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
What does Sygic do? Thanks - Gordon

I found it worked OK as long as you have a good idea of where you want to go! Often it would attempt to send us on a right royal run around! The speed warnings are useful but often inaccurate. The app often crashed but this may have been due to me running other apps at the same time. On the whole much better than nothing (!) and probably as good as most..... haha

Even tho I have a new shiny TomTom I am sure I will still end up 'arguing' with it :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Nexus 7 with a Brodit mount. I run CoPilot Truck and Sygic Truck, prefer CoPilot for its more comprehensive settings options, easier POI upload, and general display. Have had Garmin and Snooper, both problematic. There are cheap Android tablets the Hudl being a good option, at that price you can test the water. Going the tablet route get to load other useful apps like Archies, which by the way if you find a site on Archies, click directions icon and it will launch Sygic and load the coordinates.
Dedicated satnavs have you by the short and curly one nav option one way of working and built in obsolescence!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back