Slow road to Italy? (1 Viewer)

Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
Hi, we're thinking of getting in the MH and heading for Northern Italy. We can take a couple of weeks to get there, and prefer 'the road less travelled' whenever possible. Any advice on a scenic route avoiding motorways please? (With the possible exception of getting round Paris) Also, as I don't do hot weather very well, when would the best time to go?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
A route we sometimes take is after Grenoble we head for the border at Montgenevre via the Col de Lauteret and Briancon. It's a winding mountainous route but the route is 'A' road quality and the views are stunning. No long toll tunnels either. There's a huge aire at Montgenevre, and the Italian border is a mile or so down the road from there.

If you don't like hot weather you should visit the whole of Italy on Friday 17th February then get out as fast as you can. Alright, seriously, it can easily be as hot as our summer in their spring and autumn so you might want to consider giving it a miss between March and mid October if heat is a problem for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Attila the Hen
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
I know I'm a fast mover but even I couldn't manage that one! Seriously though, although I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to high temperatures I have flown to Venice a few times in April and loved it. Would like to see more of the French and Italian countryside though, possibly meandering down the eastern side of France. Worth dipping into Switzerland??

Deleted User
A route we sometimes take is after Grenoble we head for the border at Montgenevre via the Col de Lauteret and Briancon. It's a winding mountainous route but the route is 'A' road quality and the views are stunning. No long toll tunnels either. There's a huge aire at Montgenevre, and the Italian border is a mile or so down the road from there.

If you don't like hot weather you should visit the whole of Italy on Friday 17th February then get out as fast as you can. Alright, seriously, it can easily be as hot as our summer in their spring and autumn so you might want to consider giving it a miss between March and mid October if heat is a problem for you.

Another vote for that route, we used it en route to Croatia in 2009 with our 5'er without incident so no problems with a motorhome.

Pics taken in Sept '09
DSCN0024 (2).JPG DSCN0026 (2).JPG

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Another vote for that route, we used it en route to Croatia in 2009 with our 5'er without incident so no problems with a motorhome.

Bloody Hell @matamoros I bet you could boil up a brew on your brakes once you got down the hills into Italy. Well done sir.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Bloody Hell @matamoros I bet you could boil up a brew on your brakes once you got down the hills into Italy. Well done sir.

It wasn't too bad actually, low gear and use the brakes hard and frequently rather than continuously a technique that I have always used when driving trucks.

Strangely going up and down that route achieved one of the best MPG figures towing the 5'er, must have been the long descent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back