Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Got a problem with my laptop running slow over the past week and would appreciate and thoughts/tips please.
First, please understand that I am a self confessed computer Luddite so answers of one syllable would be most helpfull ! :ROFLMAO:

Laptop is an ACER Aspire 5536 running............... VISTA (yeah I know!):winky:
I'm keen on DISC CLEAN UP & DEFRAG and dont store anything on it cos I dont trust 'em, its all downloaded to discs ASAP so the machine is fairly empty. I also dont do games.

It's been pretty fast up until the last week when all of a sudden, start up is slow as is shutdown. If I check the Task Manager, CPU is running at 80 - 90 % even with nothing fired up?
Also, if I look at the Processes tab in the Task Manager, there appear to be 4 processes there without my name against them and which I dont remember seeing before?

CAD1.jpg

A fullly paid up McAfee and Windows Defender scans have found nothing untowards.

Any ideas please?
Thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wouldn't worry about those processes, they are system things, for example the one with vxx in it is to do with the display.

Probably worth running a full virus scan. Microsoft Security Essentials is free if you don't have it and I assume it runs on Vista. Give it a quick scan first then a full scan, which will take ages but worth it. My computer got infected once and the MSE quick scan could not pick it up, only the full scan found the problem.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I had a look at a PC a few days ago which had slowed down, to the extent you could boil the kettle make a cupa and drink it and with luck it may have decided to boot up fully.

Problem was big files and photos stored on the desktop instead of just links.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
theres a few bits of malware doing the rounds again. i recomend downloading and running malwarebytes and cleaning up the fragmented registry file

another commonish problem is the virtual memory paging file having issues which will slow the system noticably

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi mate............... a few months ago...

Jim told me what to do on my old puter, which had slowed right down to a crawl, but cannot find the thread... :Doh:

What ever he told me to do, Judy did it and it was back as fast as new...

Hopefully he will be along to tell you what to do and get you sorted... :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Run malwarebytes and crap cleaner a couple of times at least and then afterwards defrag at least twice (all areas doing a full defrag, not a quick one).

Also it might be worth just checking how much RAM is showing as being 'live' in the system in case a stick of it has gone caput.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

every so often i re-boot mine when start up press f8 or another 1 is f10/on top of keyboard
depending on make model [works for me]:thumb:
sets to factory settings

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
automatic system/windows updates can cause problems occasionally.

You could try a system restore to an earlier date (before the last update).

Click start
all programs
System tools
System restore.

Follow instructions

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I stripped XP off my old one and put Ubuntu (Linux) on it over Christmas. Quite a learning curve but seems to be going OK so far. It worked straight out of the box so to speak, even had the right drivers for the wireless card - which when I tried it a couple of years ago it didn't.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back