Slow drainer

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by carhil, Oct 16, 2016.

1. carhil

carhil Funster

How doo,

How fast do your sinks drain?

Mine seems to drain slowly and have some kind of 'air lock' stopping it draining at reasoanble speed. If i waggle my finger around the plug hole i get a load of gurgling and bubbles and it the drains quickly. It seems to me there should be some kind of vent to sort the pressure differance out.

Its also does it with my drain down tap. Today we packed up and as I went to put the grey hose away it started flooding out. Took about ten mins to drain after i thought it had been draining for the three days we had been hooked up !! It felt like id dislodged the air bubble stopping it flow freely. There certainly isnt any hard food like stuff stopping it as im very carefull what goes dow the plug hole.

Anyone ??

:)

2. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Have you taken of the trap under the sink? The drain pipes are only about 3/4 inch and are easily blocked.
    Remove the trap and waste pipe from it, you should see the blockage or push a piece of stiffish wire down the flexible drain as far as you can. Or maybe blow down it.

3. Bart

Bart Funster

try a load of cheap coke ,, not gonna cost a lot so its worth a shot

• Like Like x 1
  4. carhil

carhil Funster

Folks, im certain its nothing solid blocking it as ive been ultra carefull. No plate rinsing, just coffee and tea dregs mainly. Any washing up has been done using camp facilities.

I wonder if the pipe has a sharp bend or kink in it ..

5. Bart

Bart Funster

maybe do to with the gravitation pull of the earth atm , as i "think" my sink in my home is emptying slower than it usually does, until i swirl my fingers in the water until it empties in a anti clock ways direction , ofc that is all assuming you believe in such nonsense :D

6. Allanm

Allanm Funster

The kitchen sink on our Autosleeper drained slowly if we were up a bit at the back. I checked the sink trap and it was clear, I just think the manufacturers don't put enough angle in the pipe work to enable it to drain freely
    And I wouldn't poke any wire down the sink, many of the waste pipes are just a push fit and you could easily dislodge them

• Useful Useful x 2
  7. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

The trap is still worth a look, it's an easy check. Have you had the van from new?

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

many converters dont fit a vent on the waste tank. even though you can see it has a drop, in the pipe, the back presure from the tank slows down the water flow. wiggling your finger round the plughole introduces air so speeds up draining

• Like Like x 1
  9. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

We had our van new this summer. I noticed straight away that the kitchen sink was slow to drain (the bathroom was fine). Close inspection underneath the kitchen sink showed the waste pipe taking the water away - after the trap - went slightly uphill, instead of down!!

I wondered if I could carefully move the pipe slightly so it had a downwards slope, but in the event was unable to. I let the dealer sort it out - they removed an inch-and-half from a vertical downpipe, so the near horizontal pipe changed from 'uphill' to 'downhill'. And it drained perfectly from then on.

10. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Shirley we can't tell folk to do hard drugs?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

If you look at motorhome ( and indeed caravan ) waste traps they are pretty crap.. The design is far from conducive to a free flowing disposal system !

I replaced ours with small domestic units.. had to make up adapters to fit the pipe work but other than that a 10 minute job
    We still all sorts down the sink ! Treat is the same was we do the ones indoors in fact

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Why not.. stops em worrying about a slow draining sink..
    But rather than coke I would try LSD
    Not only does it stop you worrying but it is AMAZING the pictures you can see in the water.. of course there is the small issue of the drain pipe sometimes turning purple and green, escaping from under the cupboard and dancing on the worktop ..

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

take your word for that John. never tried the stuff despite it being a drug of choice in my formative years. your vivid psychedelic vision speaks of experience

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. wigster

wigster Funster

Mine drain fast so no idea , dare not say ive got an old hymer cos people will say its a crap van.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. carhil

carhil Funster

Cheers folks.

Yep, only 1k on the clock. I suspect that the hose may have a kink. The fridge slides directly under the sink so maybe as it was fitted a hose got a bit squished !

16. jansellsbond

jansellsbond Funster

Our autosleeper has a length of horizontal pipe run from the sink. Any hint of a slope and the sink drains slowly. Don't ever be tempted to use one of those rubber sucker sink plungers to force the waste water down as the pipework is often simply push fit without adhesive and will spring a leak easily.

• Useful Useful x 2
  17. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Sorry you didn't say it was that new. Take it back under warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bart

Bart Funster

+1 all that dosh for a new MH and it's not perfect .. let the dealer fix it :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Seems like the older vans might have had it right.
    Our latest van, at 19 years old, has drainage so violent you wouldn't want to put your hand in the sink when the plug comes out!
    And on board water tanks too, and its British built.....

20. carhil

carhil Funster

Cheers folks. Ill have a little look around the back of the draws. If its anything obvious Ill have a go fiddle, if it needs digging further Ill pop it in under warranty.