LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I did my first 'Slow Cooker cooking whilst in transit' last week. Installed cooker in a trug lined with a towel and placed on the bathroom floor, lid secured with a bungee and everything wedged in with whatever was to hand.

Lovely beef casserole on arrival, but the cooking smells were a bit of torment as we were driving along.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One thing to be careful of if using the cab sockets is that they can take the load as many don't go above 180w from memory.

If anyone is interested I've got a portable Crock-Pot slow cooker up for sale as I don't it use now (had very little use) as its too big for our campervan especially with 3 hairy monsters pottering around (I have a normal domestic one at home).

crock pot.jpg

It is portable so has a 'clamp on' lid with a rubber seal to keep the contents in, I think it's 240w, so about 20 amp at 12v, I don't have the carry bag as at the time it was an extra cost item for some reason:

• 5.7 litre capacity suitable for up to 5 people
    • Easy-to-use lid-mounted locking system and removable cord for the ultimate solution in portability
    • Includes Crock-Pot Thermal Carry Case
    • 3 settings - keep warm, low and high
    • Removable; dishwasher safe stoneware pot with Rinse-Clean coating and lid
Its product dimensions are 9.9 inches x 15.2 inches x 15.2 inches and it has a weight of 12.8 pounds. In shipping, the product weighs 13 pounds. The crock-pot stoneware can be removed from its base and placed inside a refrigerator or transported by car.

It is stainless steel and the only 'fault' is that the outer casing is pushed in slightly on one end at the front which is just cosmetic so not worth taking apart just to push it back out. I also have a longer lead than the original that came with it which is ideal if the power socket is a bit of a distance away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Hmmmm, so you guys travel for at least 5 hours @ say 40 Mph (average) so 200 miles, just to get a stew ready. :Eeek:

Be sure your crock pot has not got lead and cadmium built in, some do !! The mode of cooking is likely to concentrate the contaminants ?? :whistle2:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We have a small inverter which plugs into a cigarette lighter socket which powers our slow cooker when travelling
The slow cooker stands in the sink with a damp dish cloth on the top to recuce rattles and catch any splashes
Works a treat !
That sounds good - what inverter is it and where can I get one?

Many thanks

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
All this talk makes me (perhaps not me!) want to have a go with the "Mr D's eco-friendly Thermal Cooker" again.

Reactions: BwB
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

Many thanks
We bought a Fellowes one from Ebay. Just amke sure its got a higher rating than the power consumption of the slow cooker.
I think our uses about 170w

Regards
Robert

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
All this talk makes me (perhaps not me!) want to have a go with the "Mr D's eco-friendly Thermal Cooker" again.
Do it! And then start a new thread :)

I've been tempted, but far to tight to buy one of these. Hundred quid is a bit steep for a pot for me but I might be convinced when it comes to a birthday treat if it had a busy thread of cooking ideas. Been following him on FB but a lot of the food pictures all seem to be the same colour :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Maybe were just adrenalin junkies but if i had a pound for every time our kettle boiled while Siân made brews and prepared lunch on the road I'd be a few hundred quid richer. :blush: Siân always wanted to be air hostess, she'd be good too, never has she spilled a drop in 20 years of in-flight service. :)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Maybe were just adrenalin junkies but if i had a pound for every time our kettle boiled while Siân made brews and prepared lunch on the road I'd be a few hundred quid richer. :blush: Siân always wanted to be air hostess, she'd be good too, never has she spilled a drop in 20 years of in-flight service. :)

I can barely convince Ms Tigger to go back in the cupboards for a biscuit as we drive along. If I want brews on the move I have to be passenger.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Glad its not just us then :):RollEyes:

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
... Also took breadmaker with us to Norway and made our own bread for the 8 weeks we were there.
John
Whoops, didn't mean to post this. I use the breadmaker daily at home, if our van was bigger I'd definitely take it with us. Much easier than finding a bakers when you're on site.

Last edited:

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
:Eeek:
my wife once made a suggestion that she could put the kettle on and bungee it to the cooker :Eeek:
I wont repeat my answer
but if you want to have a pot of boiling hot scalding food flying around if something go's wrong with all the tins cups plates that's your risk
o I forgot it's a murphy Richard's it should be fine :rofl:
bill
I had a boat, we always cooked and had a brew on the move, trust me the North Sea isn't flat and depending on the wind the boat could be leaning over anywhere up to 20 degrees, my friends boat was worse, he had a primus cooker, the lighted meths could be fun :rolleyes:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We used ours all over Morocco never had a problem on site or on move even over dessert sections of crap road with ruts lumps and bumps didn't even have to stir the pot
Just wedged it in sink stuck lid down with gaffer tape and let it do its work
Even dindi bangers but never camel well not yet
170 watt cooker though a 300 watt invertor direct to leisure battery
It's the only electrical thing we have in van that gets used often and if it broke it would be replaced immediately

Elaine will cook or make tea while we are on the move often
so far only problem we have is for some reason when I select cruise control bloody van wobbles all over motorway when we are sat down to lunch

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi.
Do not be surprised,when you see me on,"Dragons den". Asking for their backing for my plan to market signs that say... " Beware this vehicle is carrying an "Active Slow cooker/Ramoska ?/Deep Fat Fryer" etc. It will make a change from,"Show dogs/little Princess/Mums taxi etc".
Do you think this will be approved and get their backing ? Can i order a New Vauxhall Cresta ?
Tea Bag

Love it!(y)

Margaret

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Many thanks

Our inverter came from Lidl and runs the slow cooker with no problems.

The slow cooker is just a little one and came from Argos and is similar (but not the same) as this one

Broken Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
hows about using it whilst mobile, say on one of those wintery 4 or 5 hour drives down through France :). Dave

As long as the inverter is on the starter battery, unless you are positive the leisure battery is wired to take at least 15A charge from the alternator.

Sound idea.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As said....in the sink, and to stop it moving place a couple of rolled up towels around the feet/base.

I would use a bit bigger inverter to stop it running hot at almost full power for hours at a time and have it connected to the engine battery so the alternator can run it rather than the hab batteries whch wont get enough charge to keep up.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Our MH cuts the power to the sockets when the engine's on, so I'm thinking about a Mr D's to do the same thing, more places to secure it I think as it doesn't need to be near a socket.
Well yes, it would....except the sockets in question are 230v, which need an inverter on the move.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's the initial heat up that takes the power so I make sure ours is bubbling before we disconnect the EHU and set off. Once up to temperature and turned down to the low setting the power pull isn't too bad and we use ours on inverter pulling from the hab battery. The label says it uses 76W, so not a lot.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's the initial heat up that takes the power so I make sure ours is bubbling before we disconnect the EHU and set off. Once up to temperature and turned down to the low setting the power pull isn't too bad and we use ours on inverter pulling from the hab battery. The label says it uses 76W, so not a lot.
200 watt inverter would be more than adequate then....only 6.3 amps and possibly off more than on when to temperature.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As said....in the sink, and to stop it moving place a couple of rolled up towels around the feet/base..

Electric is easy but a shed load of stew all over the place would not go down well. I don't think anything less than rubber straps round the lid and wedge into sink would do for some roads in Italy and Morocco. Even if it stayed inside you end up with soup when you got there.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Let me direct you all to Mr D's famous thermal cook pot. I use it at least once a week at home and always in the van, it's designed for travelling, with a lid which locks. Once the initial 15/20 mins cook is done its good for up to 8 hours, no need for inverters or complicated hook ups etc.

Bought ours at Malvern, one of our better buys.

Broken Link Removed

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Let me direct you all to Mr D's famous thermal cook pot. I use it at least once a week at home and always in the van, it's designed for travelling, with a lid which locks. Once the initial 15/20 mins cook is done its good for up to 8 hours, no need for inverters or complicated hook ups etc.

Bought ours at Malvern, one of our better buys.

Broken Link Removed
I'd second the Mr D thermal pot. We bought ours at the Peterborough show - definitely a good buy.

I've even used it to take a hot curry & rice to a group I go to when we had a taster morning. People couldn't believe how hot it had stayed in the pot.

The best part about it is that you don't need to worry about EHU or inverters. We use ours a lot when we're away for more than a weekend.

Denise

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Well yes, it would....except the sockets in question are 230v, which need an inverter on the move.
Sometimes I wonder how I survived to my age... Broken Link Removed
Yes @pappajohn "of course" I knew that, but equally "of course" it flies out of my brain when anything else comes in. So when everybody's saying "I cook on the move" all I can think is "I can't do that" - no joining-the-dots of the little bit I understand about the MH's electrickery!!! Broken Link Removed
You seem like a nice guy... Could you pleeeeeze explain to a complete numpty (me) about inverters? - nothing technical if at all possible, just practically what they do & how I make them do it? (CWH smiles as sweetly as she can...) Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back