Slow cookers

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Lamby55, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Lamby55

Lamby55 Funster

Can anyone recommend a low voltage slow cooker suitable for meals for two? I would feel safer with a cooker fitted with a timer.

Thanks,

Brian

2. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We bought a new slow cooker recently, it's a Giles & Posner one and it's a 180 watt model, so quite low on the power. It great to leave on at the low setting and just let it cook away whilst you're out for the day or overnight.

We have only used it at home so far, but were thinking of taking it with us in the mh, as it's much smaller than our first one and doesn't take up too much space on the worktop. It's only 9 inches in diameter, which is ideal with space at a premium:thumb:

I don't know of any fitted with a timer, but it's got a low, high and a stay warm setting on it. It has an indicator light on it, whereas our first one didn't Could you use a timer switch with one and just set it for the required time?
    Margaret

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

assuming you mean low voltage (12v) and not low wattage........while they are available, i certainly wouldn't recommend any 12v slow cooker.

a regular 230v one will be cooking for hours on end so a 12v one will be the same.....resulting in a flat battery in a short time.

in my opinion this thermal cooker is a much better idea.

i don't own one but have seen it in action at one of the motorhome shows.

simply stick the ingredients in the inner pot, bring to the boil on the hob, place the inner pot in the outer pot and fit the lid...it keeps cooking without any power input.

you could prepare the meal at breakfast, secure the pot and drive all day then have a ready cooked meal at tea time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

my advice would be forget it .use a 3litre pressure cooker . not slow very fast ten minutes when you come back sorted . ideal for two. bigger ones not so handy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Just a thought, would we still have a problem whilst on EHU, if we had nothing else on at the same time?

Margaret

6. pappajohn

180watts on 230v hookup is very low power...around 3/4 of an amp.

you usually have 16amps to play with.

if yours is 12v 180w it will use around 15amps per hour so your charger should keep up with it on hookup.
    but if you have hookup its better to use a mains cooker.

7. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

The one I use is not identical to Mr D's thermal pot but works the same. It is called a Dream Pot http://www.dreampot.com.au/. Stupid name but works well :BigGrin: I bought mine at Stratford, I got the small one.Jane :Smile:

8. pappajohn

thats the one i had in mind but couldnt remember the name of it :Doh:

i saw it at Stratford as well....very nearly bought one too

9. Lamby55

Lamby55 Funster

Thermal Cooker

This sounds perfect, I called Mr D, they are out of stock but he said he will call me back in two weeks.

10. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

My mistake, I thiought this was a post about Hildas sausages with no gas :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. christa32

christa32 Funster

I am new and looking at buying a VW campervan or potentially a Mazda bongo. I'm learning about how the leisure battery works vs mains hookup, and I was curious about this comment 'if you have hookup it's better to use a mains cooker' because I thought in general the cookers were powered with gas? I would appreciate understanding this better :) Thanks

12. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Built in ovens are gas. Some carry portable electric cooking devices - mini oven, Remoska, slow cooker, etc

13. christa32

christa32 Funster

Thank you Bryan. So, just so I'm understanding this, if it had a portable electric mini oven, that wouldn't really be any different than using a plug-in slow cooker the original person was asking about?

My current (newbie) understanding is that when not hooked up, I can only use low voltage appliances, but when hooked up I could use appliances (slow cooker or whatever) like I can at home?

Sorry that these are basic questions! Thank you.

14. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Sort of. There are devices (inverters) which will give you mains voltage from your 12v leisure battery. They come in various sizes but could allow you to use a household slow cooker from your battery. It needs a bit of research before you order one though as their usefulness can be dependent on battery capacity.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  15. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

But, without an inverter you are correct - you can only use mains electric devices when on hookup.

16. christa32

christa32 Funster

Cool great thanks :) I'm excited!

17. robnchris

robnchris Funster

You certainly won`t need a timer, cooking timers in slow cookers can vary from 5 hours to 10 hours so you will always be around at some stage, it won`t harm the food if you go over time an hour.
    You can of course if you want a timer buy one of those timer plugs.

Our slow cooker is used summer and winter, nothing better than just loading it up with a chicken that has garlic and rosemary flavoured butter pushed under the breast skin, turning the slow cooker on setting it to medium and leaving it alone for 6 hrs.
    Yummy.

18. aldhp21

aldhp21 Funster

We've got the Mr D thermal cooker one and use it all the time, even when at home. Heat everything up to bubbling on the hob, then just drop into the thermal container. Prefer that to leaving something plugged in.

Cheers
    Al.

19. jansellsbond

jansellsbond Funster

Remember you can also cook damsons in a sloe cooker.

• Like Like x 1
  20. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

We're not that impressed with the Mr D thermal cooker. Find we need to reheat the pot on the cooker after it's been "cooking" in the outer for a few hours as it's not really hot enough to eat.

Joe & Denise