Sloping Drive (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
First time post, first time motorhomer. We've just bought a used autocruise Starburst, and are still enjoying looking at it! But parking is an issue. We were looking at putting it in gold secure site nearby, but have found that it actualy looks ok on the drive - certainly better than the commercial vans owned by some of our neighbours. We want to take a tandem bike and solos on the rack, which wouyld certainly be easier to manage if it was parked on the drive. Also nice to think I can hook the mains up whenever, open windows etc. BUT it's a steeply sloping drive.

I've just checked iu out with a spiirit level and ruler, and it comes out between 10 an 15 per cent slope. At the moment I'm leaving it in gear with handbrake on, but don't want to do that for long. Also makes the hill starts slightly nerve-racking as the back of the van is pretty close to the house...So, question - would I be safe to leave it chocked, in neutral and handbrake off? These rubber chocks at [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubber-Wheel-Chocks-2-0kg-Pair/dp/B000RUBKFW[/ame] seem tough enough - does anyone have any experience of the problem?

Any help appreciated.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi
not too sure but you could use levelling ramps under the front wheels to actually level the van then put the rubber wedges under the rear wheels so then you have all 4 wheels chocked as it were.

if possible maybe fix the rubber blocks to a piece of wood that the wheels sit on to make it harder to kick the block out. then it doesn't happen accidentally.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Get some large chocks under the rear wheels and reverse on to them. Your van will be happier and your hill start easier. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Welcome to Motorhome Fun, on many camp sites our van has to be up on the ramps to level if off and we put chocks behind the wheel, and that is when we are in the vehicle moving around all the time, check the ramps and chocks out on any of the Motorhome sites to see what I am talking about

We keep our van in front of the house a tight squeeze but the longer its been there the easier it seems for OH to get out, and yes it is very convenient to keep it at home. :welcomefunster:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any help appreciated.

FWD will come out backwards better, unless you are blessed with a juddergate machine.

In forwards, up ramps and you'll fly out.

Agree with handbrake off otherwise a good chance it will stick on. But if reversing out they would be best to unstick the handbrake.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I have exactly the same problem!

Would it be better to reverse it down the slope and have cab at top of drive (top of slope) or drive it straight in and then reverse up the slope?

Not tried reversing it out s it is on a Fiat 2.3 chassis and heard they have high reverse gear?

Cheers

Bob

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the amazingly prompt replies - think I'll invest in the heavy duty chocks, reverse on to them and see how I feel about taking the handbrake off! I'll be leaving it in gear, and so chocks plus gearbox should hold it.

As for driving in cab first, then reversing out on to the road - wouldn't do that in a car, never mind a motorhome...

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I used a large piece of timber about the same size as a railway sleeper,no problems with rotting as it was well pressure creosoted for its former use.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
drive it straight in and then reverse up the slope?
Bob

When any vehicle accelerates weight is transferred to the rear, since there is too little weight on the front of a MH anyway, a FWD gets wheelspin all too easily.

But reversing, a bit of weight is transferred to the front, so aiding a FWD vehicle.

With FWD you can sometimes get out of trouble on a soft surface by reversing.

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
:welcome: Our drive is on a slope, not quite as steep as yous. I chock all 4 wheels and leave handbrake off and out of gear no problems.

cheers John

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I would not be unhappy on that sort of slope with only in-gear and chocs but like the idea of having a MH at home.

Why not do a belts and braces type of thing and have a large eyelet concreted into your drive, a chain to the tow bar or tow eye/chassis, padlocked together so a theft deterrent too.

That way if there is a little slippage maybe due to high winds you know the chain will take up the slack and hold it.

Upvote 0

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
You also mentioned charging it thorgh ao open window.......why not get your local sparks to put a weatherproof point on the outside wall you could leave it plugged in when ever its home.
I also just fitted yesterday........a vanbitz battery management box (Inside the motorhome) which keeps your vehicle battery charged from the leisure battery when it is fully topped up.

Huge benefits to keep your motorhome at home with you if you can.

good luck

barry

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The only downside is that your fridge won't work on that sort of slope.
You'll need to make sure your food is extra cold and put it in just before a trip!:thumb:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
You also mentioned charging it thorgh ao open window

err actually he did not, there was mention of ease of charging,[HI] and[/HI] opening windows etc. hee hee.

I also would be happy parked on chocks never a good idea to leave the handbrake on for any length of time, it always ends up jambed on.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, Mine's parked on slight slope, I have drilled in to the concrete and then screwed large chunk of wood down (to act as the chock) after measuring ,so it serve's 2 purpose's stopping it moving and also when reversing in it ensure's that I stop in exactally the right place without hitting the garage . Terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Many thanks for the suggestions. I've now bought a couple of 2kg rubber chocks, and the van is currently sitting against them on the rear wheels, in gear, handbrake off. Next week I will buy a railway sleeper, put it on the drive as a rear wheel stop, and place the chocks against the front wheels. Belt, braces and piece of string!

Upvote 0

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Many thanks for the suggestions. I've now bought a couple of 2kg rubber chocks, and the van is currently sitting against them on the rear wheels, in gear, handbrake off. Next week I will buy a railway sleeper, put it on the drive as a rear wheel stop, and place the chocks against the front wheels. Belt, braces and piece of string!

Buy a length of 3x2 inch tanalised timber(wont rot) width of van, lay behind rear wheels on drive in position you wish to park, drill and raw plug to drive,this will give you position to reverse upto slowly, will stop van going further towards garage and as extra security you could then place chocks behind front wheels, You would also find that you will be able to run over this to enter and exit your garage without to much trouble.You will then when your ready to leave simply need to remove front wheel chocks and drive away without fear of rolling back, has been working for me for 15 years at my mothers home and her drive is at least 30 degrees, very steep. on my own drive which has about the same slope as yours i use same method but not screwed and plugged but simply long screws through wood sticking out that locate into spaces between sets on drive
we are then able to move these about to park vehicles in different places as of when.

railway sleeper is total overkill and you will get sick of moving it, to access your garage, when needed

Hope this helps

Regards
Steve:thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Good point re sleeper, but we should never have to move it. We don't have a garage and the van is parked on the 'forecourt' in front of the house. And so the sleeper will either have the van on top of it or we'll be away somewhere. Also just had the drive tarmaced and Mrs ericonabike would be less than pleased to see me drilling holes in it...

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
First time post, first time motorhomer. We've just bought a used autocruise Starburst, and are still enjoying looking at it! But parking is an issue. We were looking at putting it in gold secure site nearby, but have found that it actualy looks ok on the drive - certainly better than the commercial vans owned by some of our neighbours. We want to take a tandem bike and solos on the rack, which wouyld certainly be easier to manage if it was parked on the drive. Also nice to think I can hook the mains up whenever, open windows etc. BUT it's a steeply sloping drive.

I've just checked iu out with a spiirit level and ruler, and it comes out between 10 an 15 per cent slope. At the moment I'm leaving it in gear with handbrake on, but don't want to do that for long. Also makes the hill starts slightly nerve-racking as the back of the van is pretty close to the house...So, question - would I be safe to leave it chocked, in neutral and handbrake off? These rubber chocks at http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000RUBKFW/?tag=mhf04-21 seem tough enough - does anyone have any experience of the problem?

Any help appreciated.
buy or make two /four wheel chocks to put behind each wheel you can then park in gear with hand brake off.
you could put a land mount in to the ground and attach a steel wire to the ground mount to the motorhome and tighten up so as to hold the van in place and an extra back up for piece of mind

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back