Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Just hoping
Exp
No experience
I am very keen to buy a MH and experience life on the road, although finances restrict me at present.
However, my OH is rather less enamoured (although persuadable I think! )
How to persuade? (Going alone not an option!)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Do you do any camping at the moment?

I started about 10 years ago and persuaded my OH to try camping. He was dead set against it, but i appealed to his money saving side and said it will be cheap holidays with the kids. He said ok but I am never towing a caravan. I plant seeds that grow over time and in the end he thinks its his idea :). A few years of camping he suggested getting a folding camper, fed up of camping( wonder where he got the idea!). Then 2 years later might as well get a caravan :). Well 4 years after that we have our lovely MH :). I didn't think 10 years ago we would ever get a MH, but gradually he enjoyed the holidays and doesn't really want to do anything else bliss :)

I took him to dealerships, shows and basically let him decide. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Definitely hire one before you even think of buying. I read in one of your other posts that you've not been in a MH before. You might find it's not for you either and just after you've spend a lot of money buying one wouldn't be the best time to find that out!

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
If you can't persuade him around to your way of thinking you are unlike any woman I know!!!!

JJ :cool:
I'm with you JJ. Can't believe that a woman would ask such a question! A pout, sulk, a coy look, dab of perfume and he will be down town to return with a daffy of MH magazines in a jiffy!

I could write the script.......
"Just think darling, a whole new experience for us. Waking up to fresh air, getting away from all those things that stress us.....Time on our own, visiting new places..... Oh I know it will cost a bit, but let's spend some money on ourselves for a change. It will be soooo romantic"

On a serious note, perhaps the practical side of the pastime will appeal to him as well as the leisure bit?

Upvote 0

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
If you can't persuade him around to your way of thinking you are unlike any woman I know!!!!

JJ :cool:

Are we that predictable us men ??;)

Of course are !!!!!!!

Work your magic and a motorhome is as good as yours.....honest !!(y)

Regards and good luck.

John P:)

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I find that talking about the wonders of almost anything a few times results in Nick having an incredible idea! That's not being manipulative at all is it? I did convert Nick to trying tent camping 20 years ago with the promise of cooked breakfasts on a daily basis, the only thing I will admit to failing on in 33 years of wedded bliss is a caravan but I have finally got over that ...

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I'm with you JJ. Can't believe that a woman would ask such a question! A pout, sulk, a coy look, dab of perfume and he will be down town to return with a daffy of MH magazines in a jiffy!

I could write the script.......
"Just think darling, a whole new experience for us. Waking up to fresh air, getting away from all those things that stress us.....Time on our own, visiting new places..... Oh I know it will cost a bit, but let's spend some money on ourselves for a change. It will be soooo romantic"

On a serious note, perhaps the practical side of the pastime will appeal to him as well as the leisure bit?

took me 5 years to really get John on board, think the romahome experience put him off lol
Does he like moto gp folk/music festivals, steam trains? find a rally at something he really enjoys, hire a van and take him on a surprise break. beware though, as you've not tried it either it might end up with him loving it and you not so keen

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mrs.Mallard

Mrs.Mallard

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Just hoping
Exp
No experience
Thank you all for your advice! Some of which made me nod in agreement, some of which gave me a good laugh! (y)

Upvote 0

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
A night in a noisy hotel room tripled my MH budget. Pity they've fixed the source of the noise, or I'd tell you where to take him. Knew there was a reason I shouldn't have complained to their head office!!

Upvote 0

Mr and Mrs Batty

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cherokee
Exp
Since 2010
Why not try a little reverse logic ? Us men are VERY simple creatures. Search the internet for the very, very worst B & B / Hotel breaks and book several up. On arrival point out as much as you possibly can that is wrong and that he will not enjoy. Ensure he has a totally horrible time and just as he is paying the bill for this misery throw in '' wouldn't it have been nice when we saw how bad it was to have the freedom to have gone somewhere else ? '' Then leave various motorhome magazines around the house - in no time at all the average man will come up with a great idea for a purchase which of course was ALL his idea ! Sorted.
Mr Batty (Neil)

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Why not try a little reverse logic ? Us men are VERY simple creatures. Search the internet for the very, very worst B & B / Hotel breaks and book several up. On arrival point out as much as you possibly can that is wrong and that he will not enjoy. Ensure he has a totally horrible time and just as he is paying the bill for this misery throw in '' wouldn't it have been nice when we saw how bad it was to have the freedom to have gone somewhere else ? '' Then leave various motorhome magazines around the house - in no time at all the average man will come up with a great idea for a purchase which of course was ALL his idea ! Sorted.
Mr Batty (Neil)
(y)(y)(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back