Sleeping on the move !

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Vlad The Impaler, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Is this legal!
    Discuss..........

The reason I ask is that on my way north yesterday I passed two sleeper busses,that got me thinking tour busses etc .
    Then when we reached our destination we watched the news at ten and saw a politician behind interviewed in his tour buss siting unbelted with his guest whilst the camera man stood and filmed them.
    Not interested in the moral side if in a crash etc,if it's legal in a bus do they have different legislation ?

Vlad

2. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

I wouldn't let my lady go back and lie down whilst I'm driving.. I'm not a "dodgy" driver, or a speed merchant, but its the others you can't trust..!! Not worth the risk in my opinion ..
    I assume the rules MUST be different for the sleeper buses and as for the politicians, our rules and regulations don't apply to them !! They are "special"... OOOOh, I nearly started to "rant" then... Steady lad, steady....

• Like Like x 6
  3. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Jackie often stays in bed when we move on - she gets worse hangovers than me;)

• Like Like x 9
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I've slept in our Luton before now. It can't accelerate to throw me off backwards, if 'er indoors hits something I hit the front wall gently, if it's a biggy I'm going to die anyway.

Way up the risks, it's your life.

Then I get on a motorbike and forget to fasten the seat belt.

• Like Like x 10
  5. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

I would love to be able to have a power nap while on the move (I am one of those people who can fall asleep anytime anywhere) only problem being i am driving :LOL::LOL:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

We have done thousands of mile in uk and Europe with 2 kids asleep in back seat with seat belts worn on modern cars and no seat belts in older cars that did not have them fitted
    Whilst Elaine and I did 4 hour stints at the wheel and one asleep in passenger seat while going to and coming home from Spain
    As most of you lot have done I bet
    Would I go to bed in van while Elaine drove or visa versa
    Yes if it had to be done but nowadays we prefer to dawdle along as we have more time and less pressure with our holidays it takes as long as it needs
    Mind you when we did our Morocco run during last years run down I was on road by 7 or 8am with Elaine still in bed :sleep:

• Like Like x 1
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

No cruise control then !

• Like Like x 3
  8. parknride

parknride Funster

I suppose realistically it isn't safe. When we took our (then) teenage son and his friend touring in Europe we would never have moved on if we waited for them go get out of bed! A few times they woke up in a different place to where they went to bed.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

On airlines - crew bunks have belts.
    I wonder if the driver bunk on a coach also has a belt?
    If it became such an issue because so many napping motorhome passengers die daily - then I'm sure legislation would ensure manufacturers provided belts on all MH beds...

10. markh

markh

I believe if you're over 16 you can move around in the back, sit down and lie down quite legally (at least that what Marquis Durham said) but your must wear belts in the cab

11. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

In the olden days , before seat belts were invented 99.99% of people never had a problem being unrestrained . the ones that had accidents were often left in a very serious condition , if not dead .
    We are grown ups responsible for our actions , how would you feel if you had a non fault accident whilst your partner , child , dog was asleep , making a brew , making your lunch etc. ?
    We all think accidents happen to other people , make your own mind up if you are happy with the risks involved , you should be fine !
    Happy driving (y)

12. beacons

beacons Funster

Interesting subject have often wondered if legal or not but as said no safety belts in beds .

13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Years ago I used to drive overnight to France (cheaper at night )with 3 kids in bed in the back. They went to bed in UK woke up in France.
    Probably highly irresponsible but in those days the seats didn't have belts either. I don't think I'd do it now.

• Like Like x 3
  14. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

Its illegal to use a mobile phone , doesn't stop people !
    My wife went into the back to find an annoying rattle ( shower door ) on our maiden voyage . travelling along a long dual carriage way with no entrances on left . did a risk assessment , lived to tell the tale .

• Like Like x 3
  15. Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

We travelled most of the way home from skiing at Le Grand Bornand in France with my wife asleep in the Luton, my daughter & her friend asleep in the rear bed and my son asleep in the diner bed. They all thoroughly enjoyed their restful journey home. Would I do it again in our new motorhome, yes. I'm trundling along about between 50 or 60 mph with the cruise control on. I suppose it depends a bit on how competent you feel driving a MH. I used to drive our works long wheel based van all the time so feel comfortable driving a MH.
    Also when I was much younger I went skiing to Austria with 18-30 (Remember them) and we travelled all the way there and back on a sleeper coach which turned the seats into bunk beds. No belts & no problem. It was a great way to travel. Don't know if they still make these coaches now.

Thanks Antony

• Like Like x 1
  16. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

Interesting , wonder how true this is ?

• Like Like x 2
  17. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

My thoughts too!

18. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

How would our insurance stand if someone was asleep or cooking the tea and was seriously injured or god forbid , worse ,during an accident ? .
    The point I'm making is that most journeys end happily , but some end in disaster , for whatever reason , are we foolish to increase risk by sleeping or moving around in a moving vehicle ?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Yes, six of us in an old Hymer 14 years ago coming back from kayaking in the south of France. Three people insured and able to drive...... Four of the six slept all the way from south of Paris to Scotch Corner..... they were all in the Dinette, strapped in but with the table in the lower position to make leg rests.

That was the trip I drove round the Periphique during rush hour :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I wouldn't sleep in a car without a belt on so I won't sleep in a MH without one. Simples.

• Like Like x 3