Sleeping Bags or Duvets (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Getting a motorhome with U-shaped lounge and planning to use the single bed configuration (as opposed to making up the big double bed). Would you recommend sleeping bags or duvets?

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I bought 2 quite expensive sleeping bags and when I took them to be dry cleaned I found I could have bought Duvets for cheaper than the cleaning, in the future I would buy Duvets and throw them away when grubby

Upvote 0

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We use sleeping bags in winter, or colder weather and lightweight duvets in the summer, Ah yes, I seem to remember that word, Summer.!!

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Duvets always - we are not camping.:thumb:

We have a fixed bed but in the past when the bed had to be assembled out of seat bits we used two duvets - a light one and a heavy one. In cold weather the light one went underneath as a sort of mattress toipper with the heavy one on top. In warm weather the other way round.

Duvet covers are a pig to put on but easily washed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We use a double sleeping bag which unzips for easy laundering.

I've sewn a sheet on to one of the sleeping bags so we can put an extra duvet in for the cold nights.

The advantage of sleeping bag over a duvet on its own? My OH can't nick it and leave me with cold bits :roflmto:

Upvote 0

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
We use sleeping bags in the winter with a duvet as well.
Just a sleeping bag in the summer.
We have zipped two together to make a double.
this way we have cheaper ones but we can wash them easy in the washing machine.

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you cant decide try the cheaper option first.
duvets have advantages and disadvantages as do sleeping bags.

Upvote 0

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
2 duvets.....one thick one thin ..........in summer sleep ON the thick one..and cover up with the thin one..........and in winter the other way round.......bed making takes 2 mins
and its a very simple and cheap solution.

barry

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We tried memory foam but found it too hot so got rid so the duvalay I think would feel the same so I have a normal sleeping bag on one single in our rear u shaped lounge and Tez has a single duvet, we do make the bed up but just for Susie on her cushions in the middle of us :RollEyes:

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Two sleeping bags zipped together, OH has sown two double sheets together along their bottom edge only and sown 3 ties along the bottom edge and same along inside bottom edge of sleeping bag. Two sets of sheets so we can change and launder them easily.:thumb:

Works for us, tried duvet's both thick and thin but without success.

Upvote 0
Sep 6, 2011
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Con3 XL PVC
Exp
Started 1989
And so to Bed

Over the years we've tried most combinations,- sleeping bags, duvets, fitted sheets etc etc. but couldn't get it quite right. Now we use Duvalays. They are SUPERB. Pros: V easy to use, just unroll and zzzz, no "cold side" draughts, easy to wash on site (removable cover), mask poor bed design by smoothing over matress joins. Cons: Not cheap, Can be a bit bulky to store. Sleep Tight!:yawn:

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Getting a motorhome with U-shaped lounge and planning to use the single bed configuration (as opposed to making up the big double bed). Would you recommend sleeping bags or duvets?

We use neither - we like to have several different layers so that we are very warm when the weather is cold but not too hot when it gets warm. So its sheets and a few blankets for us.

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
So there it is around 2/3am and Mike needs to go somewhere and do something. So half asleep he has to unzip this bag thing and get out and upon returning get in and zip it up again. :ROFLMAO: I don't think so, thank you.

Proper bed and proper bedding. Duvet every time. :thumb:

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
sleepy nights

Oh yeah go with Duvets, cotton sheets and goose feather pillows, just like home, snug and warm.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
In winter we use summer duvet beneath us and winter one on top and vicer versa summer \(old rosie moment again )

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We only ever used sleeping bags when we had a tent except for one night last year when we picked up our new panel van conversion and took a couple of sleeping bags to use for ease ... never again! They were horrible and restrictive ... like being a sausage trapped inside a bread roll, worst night's sleep I'd had for ages!!!! :shout:

A double duvet would be my first preference - folded over with approx 1/3rd underneath and 2/3rds on top - but the trouble with this is that it can move around quite a bit as none of it is 'rigid' to hold it in place on the seat/bed and you could end up with it all gradually 'slipping' off! :Blush:

However, what I would probably do is make my own 'duvalay' type duvets - a double (or king) sized duvet cover stitched top to bottom to the width of a single duvet, with the other section having a piece of memory foam cut to size and slotted in. A single duvet could then be placed in the other part, either a winter or summer weight one depending on time of year. Much cheaper too!:thumb:

Upvote 0

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Duvets always - we are not camping.:thumb:

We have a fixed bed but in the past when the bed had to be assembled out of seat bits we used two duvets - a light one and a heavy one. In cold weather the light one went underneath as a sort of mattress toipper with the heavy one on top. In warm weather the other way round.

Duvet covers are a pig to put on but easily washed.

We do this as well................its a perfect solution

barry:Smile:

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Good quality synthetic duvets that fit in my washing machine and really nice linen, pillows and cushions ... Got to be as nice as any hotel. Agree with the 2 different tog duvet method under and over swapping over for winter / summer.

Always took duvets in a tent and linen to rented holiday homes .... standards have to be maintained or I wouldn't enjoy it.

Sheets are a pig to put on!

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We leave our UShaped lounge permanently made up as a double bed. We removed the cushions and replaced them with a memory foam mattress from IKEA
We use a duvet for a perfect 'at home' sleeping experience

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back