LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cannot really see it affecting the end user to be honest..
Most people just use the pier to pier fone call and IM service.. the profits are made with business's who, like me, pay for calls .. They buy blocks of line time and then resell it..

I have now moved over to JaJah in the main.. service is better and no special equipment needed ( just a computer on line and you normal house fone ) and like Skype, you can fone anyone else on the system for free. ( I have to call the US quite a lot.. it is a penny a minute on JaJah ! )

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
how long will the free calls remain I ask

I wonder how long the free calls will remain.. 68 million people using it is a lot of possible revenue.. Bet they start to get rid of the free calls or want a registration fee.

Bob:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Skype is a world player, in the US free mobile to mobile is in it’s infancy so this purchase could be a good prize for MS.:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It will remain free as the technology is available to one and all.. It is after all, merely VOIP ( Voice Over Internet Protocol )

There are a few firms out there it is just that Skype is the biggest and best known.. A bit like Google or eBay for instance

If Skype tried to charge for a VOIP service their servers would be like the Mary Rose within weeks !

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Microsoft have bought Skype to kick off their foray into the social media market.

There is a large audience here that can be fostered to drive their mobile platform forwards.

Keeping it free is not an issue for them as its not their bandwidth and cost that gets used as its a peering application.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
The one big problems with Skype is that the service providers are strangling the video stream and to a smaller extent the audio stream also.

There have been some changes in the regulations in that the service providers have to declare what they are doing and to what extent but until the strangling is stopped Skype will never reach its full potential.

Doug...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use Skype for about an hour every day. The service has got much better since the early days and right now i find it very useable. I hope that the new owners don't mess with it too much, or raise the prices that already have been creeping up this last 18 months

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Just think of all the extra developer investment the Linux and Android Skype clients will get now :winky:

And let's hope MS keep their mits out of the core development team (some hope)...I tend to use Skype for IM more than voice/video, and the MSN/Live/Microsoft/what-shall-we-call-it-this-month Messenger for the Mac has been lagging for years...

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I use Skype for about an hour every day. The service has got much better since the early days and right now i find it very useable. I hope that the new owners don't mess with it too much, or raise the prices that already have been creeping up this last 18 months
I have been on Skype for an hour to the US today from my Three mobile to a Tablet in the US. Excellent quality no data charge as included in my 3 contract.
I wouldn't look at any other service. Brilliant...... Hope it don't change:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back