Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Hi All,
My lifting thread on the above seems to have more slack than before, I'm thinking perhaps the thread is stripping slowly. Has anyone noticed the play on these mechanisms, or changed one out?
Dont want my skylight flying of on a trip

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi All,
My lifting thread on the above seems to have more slack than before, I'm thinking perhaps the thread is stripping slowly. Has anyone noticed the play on these mechanisms, or changed one out?
Dont want my skylight flying of on a trip

Hope you get some answers soon. :)

I lost my habitation door window on my last van and it was a pain for the rest of my journey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Mmm, me too.
A little preventive maintainance, have a list of things to do before taking off again.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I doubt that the thread is stripping as it is made of metal. but some play may be developing in the cogs that it turns as these are nylon. I suggest you get on the roof and have a look. If you wind up the skylight to its fullest position (but don't force it to a hard stop) you may have sufficient clearance to examine the mechanism. This may require a small hand mirror to assist your view. Failing that, you will need to remove the acrylic cover but take care with this. It is secured to the swinging arms with Starlock washers and these have to be prised / cut off very carefully to avoid cracking the cover. Also, they are a 'one-use' fixing so you need to have new ones available for refitting after your investigations and work.
For comparison, both the skylights on my Hymer (it has two large ones) have some play in the mechanism which is most noticeable in the first stage of opening or last stage of closing. This is normal as once the swinging arms have moved down to the shut position, the handle will turn perhaps one or one and a half turns to effect a tight closure. Don't over-tighten the handle on closing, the skylight only needs to be pulled snuggly against the rubber grommet, not forced down onto it. Similarly, try not to wind the skylight up to a hard stop when opening to its fullest extent.
Periodically, I get on the roof and clean the mechanism with an old cloth and brush, then apply some silicon grease to the threaded shaft.

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Thanks for that, it's put my mind at rest, as it seems to be normal, I'll get up there for a look too, and lubricate.

And...it's a 2001 Hymer B584

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
some roof windows have an aluminium cog running against a steel one, the steel one strips the ali one. Thats why I asked what window are you talking about?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back