MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've just come down from the Isle of Skye,
I'm awful wet and I'll never dry,
All the lassies say Auch Aye",
Brian why you dripping ?

Well, to be honest it rained at night so no big deal but I'm indifferent to Skye, a whole lot of "rugged barron" and nothing to feast my eyes on.

What a difference going up, A9/Whiskey Trail and down The Great Glen to Fort William where I type this. My eyes are overdosed on awesome sights.

Tonight Glen Nevis Camp site, a lovely site, beautifully laid our and with grand views.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Never been! I'll go to Scotland, one day, maybe..

The problem in the UK is similarity. Snowdonia, Lakes and Scotland are very similar. Scotland has the edge. Bigger awesome. Certainly the Scottish rivers are tops. The A9 from Perth to Inverness I'm sure is the UK's best road. Take the Whiskey Trail for more eye watering sights.

Apart from the sea, I can show anyone the same sights as Skye within the Peak District.

But from southern England, I'd certainly opt for Swiss mountains rather than Scottish ones. 3000' vs 12000', Size Matters.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Vigilance is necessary !

The problem in the UK is similarity. Snowdonia, Lakes and Scotland are very similar. Scotland has the edge. Bigger awesome. Certainly the Scottish rivers are tops. The A9 from Perth to Inverness I'm sure is the UK's best road. Take the Whiskey Trail for more eye watering sights.

Apart from the sea, I can show anyone the same sights as Skye within the Peak District.

But from southern England, I'd certainly opt for Swiss mountains rather than Scottish ones. 3000' vs 12000', Size Matters.

Also, apparently, one of the most dangerous ! Mostly when the dualling ends to go on to single track ! Use of the mirrors is vital ! I shall be travelling on the A9 on my way to the Isle of Lewis in September ! :thumb:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I shall be travelling on the A9 on my way to the Isle of Lewis in September ! :thumb:

We camped one night watching Lewis. I assumed it would be the same bleak nothingness as most of Skye, or worse. Maybe you like bleak nothingness. I'm afraid it does nothing for me.

I kept saying to myself on the way back, "should have stopped more on the A9, the grandeur of pine forests, the rivers, the appeal of Pitlochry and other towns and villages."

The A9 is a fine road safety wise, the only problem can be the drivers.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
At last, someone else who thinks that Skye is overrated. I couldn't wait to get off the cold, wet, midge-infested place. Rubbish beer, no golf courses to speak of, and with the exception of the Cuillins, nothing much to look at.

Ye did'nae climb Ben Nevis then......call yeself Hilldweller.....pffffttt

:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I have a cousin there, google borgh pottery, and I just love the wild and windswept beaches , but, as you say, some of it is a bit bleak !!! :thumb:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ye did'nae climb Ben Nevis then......call yeself Hilldweller.....pffffttt

:ROFLMAO:

My knees complain at long walks on rough ground. Anyway, I find walking boring. I can live with cycling as long as it's not too hilly, at least you cover some distance.

I guess the fact that I really enjoyed the Rhein campsite sums me up, watching all the different boats passing, the valley was deep joy. A small bare rock, doing what it has done for 10,000 years just does nothing fro me. Mt Blanc on the other hand, proper rock that is.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back