Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Well the neighbours aren't that happy but as Martin has made a superb job of making the post removable and gate swing well out of the way they can't really complain and I turn deaf when they start on about our "caravan". They were going to get one when we got ours and then discovered "how expensive dormobiles are now".

Since Mr Next-Door made a pigs **** of the Queen's birthday beacon by buying the wrong gas cylinder (he'd refused all offers of help wanting all the credit for himself) he's been very quiet.
I bet you all had a giggle at the beacon debacle!! Has he sol his house yet!!?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Since Mr Next-Door made a pigs **** of the Queen's birthday beacon by buying the wrong gas cylinder (he'd refused all offers of help wanting all the credit for himself) he's been very quiet.

Oh do tell more.........

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I bet you all had a giggle at the beacon debacle!! Has he sol his house yet!!?

Sold his house??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Not even had people looking at the price he is asking. Plus two well documented neighbour disputes are likely to put people off. Obviously this is all my fault because of the shared drive and the private drainage and the caravan and on the other side it is their fault as well as they have dared to get planning permission!

Funny thing about the beacon was that he knew all about it, got the (wrong) gas, went all the way to the top of the castle tower with gas and beacon then found they didn't fit. Duhhhhhh. Then phoned someone else to come and ask us if we had a gas bottle of the correct type. We did but only dregs of gas as there was no point in filling it since he said he didn't need it! The beacon lasted two minutes. Then he ranted about how all the fittings should be the same and I gave HIM a lecture on gas safety and would he have been happy if he'd blown himself up and burnt the castle down. I said that was why messing with stuff you didn't understand was a bad idea and if you didn't understand something you made yourself look like a common avian when you voiced an opinion. Heis no longer speaking to me and I'm so upset - not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sold his house??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Not even had people looking at the price he is asking. Plus two well documented neighbour disputes are likely to put people off. Obviously this is all my fault because of the shared drive and the private drainage and the caravan and on the other side it is their fault as well as they have dared to get planning permission!

Funny thing about the beacon was that he knew all about it, got the (wrong) gas, went all the way to the top of the castle tower with gas and beacon then found they didn't fit. Duhhhhhh. Then phoned someone else to come and ask us if we had a gas bottle of the correct type. We did but only dregs of gas as there was no point in filling it since he said he didn't need it! The beacon lasted two minutes. Then he ranted about how all the fittings should be the same and I gave HIM a lecture on gas safety and would he have been happy if he'd blown himself up and burnt the castle down. I said that was why messing with stuff you didn't understand was a bad idea and if you didn't understand something you made yourself look like a common avian when you voiced an opinion. Heis no longer speaking to me and I'm so upset - not.
Mrs C won't let me talk to the neighbours, just in case I say anything inappropriate

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Has he sol his house yet!!?

And I have found the listing for his house! He had viewers today but I don't think they were "the right sort" as the car "was only a Toyota, an old one like you used to have, Helen" !!!!! For me, if someone has the money and makes the offer and are serious about it then they are the "right sort"!

http://www.rettie.co.uk/property-fo...rs/kelso/MEL150196-3-bed-house-castle-heights

Were you asking about the details @big bertha ? I know someone was!!!!

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We are planning on doing the Outer Hebrides (plus Gairloch and Killin) in September, so following this thread with interest (y)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
And I have found the listing for his house! He had viewers today but I don't think they were "the right sort" as the car "was only a Toyota, an old one like you used to have, Helen" !!!!! For me, if someone has the money and makes the offer and are serious about it then they are the "right sort"!

http://www.rettie.co.uk/property-fo...rs/kelso/MEL150196-3-bed-house-castle-heights

Bit rich for me PD as we're downsizing, ours should be on market next week.

etchacan

Free Member
Mar 6, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New to motorhomes, 40 years caravanning...
West Harris trust has several spots up the west side of Harris for motorhome stopovers - all they ask for is a £5 donation per night. We had a cracking night at one on the road to the village at Luskentyre. Other places we stayed out there were Uig beach up on Lewis - £2 per person per night, with a toilet block! And the small site at Balranald on North Uist was fantastic. This is the spot overlooking Luskentyre Bay (no beach, the tide's in!!)
IMG_20160620_180528.jpg

We started at Seaview caravan site at Tralee just north of Oban, then overnighted at Eoiligary Pier on Barra, Balranald on N Uist, Luskentyre Beach on Harris, Uig Beach on Lewis, and Staffin Caravan Site on Skye, followed by the CC site at Morvich.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

It seems to have what the less politically correct in Leicester call pakki pillars on the front (usually added to totally innapropriate houses to make them loook more palatial!!!!). By the way if your has them they are in good taste and ignore the previous post.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

The house looks like something out of the eighties!!! Why would you have a double bed with a kitchenette behind!!!!;) Needs a TV makeover before he will sell it!! Sorry that means you may have him a while!!

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
The house looks like something out of the eighties!!! Why would you have a double bed with a kitchenette behind!!!!;) Needs a TV makeover before he will sell it!! Sorry that means you may have him a while!!
If you look the floor plan you could have a self contained annex where the kitchen/bedroom is with its own access. You need to watch more ettc (y)

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
We're looking at this instead of the NC500 which I'm thinking is going to be very busy, having been very much promoted online and in the press.
An interesting thought.

SWMBO and I live on the Fearn Peninsula just a handful of miles off the NC500 and we have noticed a large increase in motorhomes on the A9 this year. Various parts of the NC500 have been our regular stomping ground for many years (and for the past 2 years in our own motorhome) and also as a part of my own business taking photographers out in the area.

One of the attractions for visitors is the 'remoteness', tranquillity of the area and the fact that you could drive for miles without seeing another vehicle. We spent a few days away up on the North Coast last week and we both commented on the number of motorhomes and motorcycles we were encountering, especially on the single track sections.

We began to wonder how long it would be before Highland Council came under pressure to widen the roads for safety purposes. Then we speculated at what point the popularity of the route meant that so many vehicles were using the NC500 that one of the very reasons for it being popular was so diminished by the number of visitors that people stopped visiting the area? Can you imagine it, every roadside spot occupied by a motorhome 'wild camping', roads clogged with traffic, all viewpoints full of parked cars (a bit like the Lake District when we were there last year)!

Of course there have been many benefits to businesses along the route. Many tea shops, restaurants, B&Bs, campsites, museums and local attractions have seen an increase in business. Although I have heard that people in motorhomes often stock up with fuel and supplies at the big supermarkets in Inverness before setting off on the route due to the cost of fuel and goods up here. Indeed the Tarbat Discovery Centre (free overnight parking for a couple of motorhomes) of which I am a Director and Trustee has seen extra visitors whom we know have been following the NC500.

When I saw Robert's post it made me think if SWMBO and I may indeed be seeing portents of the future.

So I would say to Robert and others, please come up and visit our wonderful area with its spectacular views and wildlife, just make sure you spend a little money locally, be sensible and sensitive where you park up and if you really want to see the area with all its peace, tranquillity and remoteness and have a real adventure, do the NC500 in winter when the roads really are empty and quiet. Well, not too many of you though as we don't want it spoiled do we? (y)

KH

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
An interesting thought.
yes i was wandering that lots of wild camping going on and lots of motorbikes especially from germany,we did see quite a few idiots on bikes, and actually had one come off in front of us,i made sure he was ok and we were on our way not too much sympathy with speeds they were doing, anyway as you said dont want to spoil this lovely part of world. we get all this in the south west, ps before anybody asks yes spent 5 weeks up to the west and islands and had site every night regards steve
SWMBO and I live on the Fearn Peninsula just a handful of miles off the NC500 and we have noticed a large increase in motorhomes on the A9 this year. Various parts of the NC500 have been our regular stomping ground for many years (and for the past 2 years in our own motorhome) and also as a part of my own business taking photographers out in the area.

One of the attractions for visitors is the 'remoteness', tranquillity of the area and the fact that you could drive for miles without seeing another vehicle. We spent a few days away up on the North Coast last week and we both commented on the number of motorhomes and motorcycles we were encountering, especially on the single track sections.

We began to wonder how long it would be before Highland Council came under pressure to widen the roads for safety purposes. Then we speculated at what point the popularity of the route meant that so many vehicles were using the NC500 that one of the very reasons for it being popular was so diminished by the number of visitors that people stopped visiting the area? Can you imagine it, every roadside spot occupied by a motorhome 'wild camping', roads clogged with traffic, all viewpoints full of parked cars (a bit like the Lake District when we were there last year)!

Of course there have been many benefits to businesses along the route. Many tea shops, restaurants, B&Bs, campsites, museums and local attractions have seen an increase in business. Although I have heard that people in motorhomes often stock up with fuel and supplies at the big supermarkets in Inverness before setting off on the route due to the cost of fuel and goods up here. Indeed the Tarbat Discovery Centre (free overnight parking for a couple of motorhomes) of which I am a Director and Trustee has seen extra visitors whom we know have been following the NC500.

When I saw Robert's post it made me think if SWMBO and I may indeed be seeing portents of the future.

So I would say to Robert and others, please come up and visit our wonderful area with its spectacular views and wildlife, just make sure you spend a little money locally, be sensible and sensitive where you park up and if you really want to see the area with all its peace, tranquillity and remoteness and have a real adventure, do the NC500 in winter when the roads really are empty and quiet. Well, not too many of you though as we don't want it spoiled do we? (y)

KH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back