Sky Wifi box, help please.

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Teasy2007, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi, we are thinking of buying a new sky wifi box and wondered if anyone could answer a couple of questions - without laughing please!

At the moment we are using the modem on an extension telephone cable. We have been having a lot of problems with broadband and the Open reach technician who checked everything said the extension cable could be causing errors on the line. We have an older HD box without the wifi button or WPS, whatever that might be.

My question is will the new wifi sky box mean that we don't have to attach the Ethernet cable? In other words we can put the broadband router across the room next to the telephone point, and still be able to download all the on demand and catch up programs.

When we go to Spain in the motorhome we always take the sky receiver, if we have the wifi sky box can we get on the camp wifi to download catch up and on demand?

Thanks,

Ginny

2. Popeye

Popeye Funster

It will need a fairly good speed to do that. Before I sorted my connection out it would take anything up to 24 hrs to download a film.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stonemags76

Stonemags76 Funster

With a new sky box (or a sky wifi gizmo) you can have the sky box wherever you want it, as it will connect by wifi. When you take your box abroad the wifi is not usually fast enough (as mentioned), and also Sky will know you are not in the uk because of the IP address and that may be in breach of contract? We take our box, but do not connect to wifi, with the view that what they don't know won't hurt them! Hope that helps?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

That's a good point, I had not thought about that. When we are at home is it just as fast through wifi as it is using ethernet cable?

5. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Ginny, if you have problems with your B/Band then going down the road of wifi will not help. I would also be weary of using a campsite wifi to download catch up and on demand as 99% of the time it will freeze as they are so slow. Stick with the box you have for now.

6. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Happy New Year John, I hope you and Dawn had a good time. How are you both? I have nearly finished all the tests, I have three more days of a 7 day heart monitor test and then back to the consultant. If it's anything like good news we will be off to Spain ASAP.

We don't know what to do about the sky wifi box, having the broadband router where it is is causing problems, according to Bt Openreach, so in the end you have to consider their advice, it certainly can't get any worse. I appreciate that we can't use the wifi in Spain.

Ginny

7. Stonemags76

Stonemags76 Funster

Doing away with the extension should help your broadband speed. We were given a wifi adapter by Sky for our old box. I wonder if you could get one on eBay and try it out before buying a new box?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stonemags76

Stonemags76 Funster

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

For the on demand and catch up programs it is best to keep wired ethernet connection to your TV.
    Speed drops off considerably with wifi the further the device is from the router, even more so with faster 5g wifi. I'm on my laptop at the moment and about 30ft from my router speed on 2.4g is 20mb on 5g which should be faster only 10mb, on a wired connection 37mb.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tofo

tofo Funster

Daughters sky wifi in her bedroom
    Is away from the router without connecting cables
    And she seems to be able to do whatever without
    Needing a lead

We are on Bt fibre though which may help

• Like Like x 1
  11. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

We are good Ginny I will email you tomorrow with an update, regards to the old man.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Well that's certainly a better idea than buying a new box I don't need!

13. Hyacinth 1

Hyacinth 1 Funster Life Member

We have one of those wifi boxes connected to our sky box so we didn't need to change box and it works fine.

Liz

• Like Like x 1
  14. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ginny. Why not relocate the router on the main master phone socket. Also buy / try a new ADSL filter as these can fail.
    Using via an extension is not recommended.
    Then use "power line / home plug" adaptors to send signal via the house mains to your TV socket and connect via Ethernet from there to the existing sky box...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

WiFI means itr can connect to your wifi network at home.
    IF the signals are too weak, move your router, or you can get a "wifi booster" or powerline plug to get more signal in to the area that you want.

The first thing the systems do is check the IP address of where yo are connecting to the internet.
    Connect from within the UK and your UK IP address is OK.
    Connect outside the UK< in Spain for example, and your Spanish IP internet address will cause the on demand content to be blocked.
    YOu get around this using a VPN or Smart DNS on a router. Set that router to connect to the internet system on the site, and your sky box (via Ethernet or wifi) to that VPN running router. The VPN allows you make it look as if you are "connecting" to the internet from the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tonka

ps Ginny... If you do need a WIFI version of the sky box I have one here..
    To you £25 plus post..
    Anybody else £30 (I owe Ginny and Mike a favour for helping sort Benicarlo :) )....

• Like Like x 3
  17. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

I
    I have pm you Steve.

18. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

I have moved the router to the telephone point and the broadband speed is worse than ever. I have been given access to the settings at Ee and according to that there is 8.57 going into the router. I only have 1.80 coming out !

I have altered the settings from auto to 6 and then 8 but it does not improve.

What can I be doing wrong, or is it the router - a point the BT engineer said it could be. I have my previous BT router, is it possible to use that router but with the EE user name and password, it's about the only thing I haven't tried, other than ringing EE yet again and telling them I'm moving my broadband.

The BT engineer said EE often 'cap' the speed coming out of the router, I must admit we never had a problem until we went to EE.

19. tonka

Some routers can be reprogrammed, others can not as they are locked by the provider. Some can be unlocked by installing new software.. A tricky one..
    Option 3 is buy your own router and enter all the EE details...

Ginny, I might have an EE router, will go check in a bit... You would need to know how to access it and re-enteer your own details.

20. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Thanks Steve I'm getting really fed up with it at the moment. Did you see my pm? I asked if you were selling a sky HD Wifi receiver or one of those little sky wifi boxes ?