Sky TVS in mobile home.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by T & J, Mar 29, 2015.

1. T & J

T & J Read Only Funster

We have recently bought a Dethleff A850. Very pleased with it. It comes with an oyster self seeking Satelite system. At the moment we can pick up seemingly just a few freebie chanell a.

We have sky at home..... Fine,

How do we go about getting set up for sky in motor home? Rather than pay none stop monthly fees for sky that we will use only a few weeks a year..... Is it possible to get some kid Nd of pay as you use facility with sky? IE. Going off for a couple of weeks of course Id like to buy sky, but don't really want to be paying 52 weeks of the year when I only use mobile home a few weeks of the year.

Any ideas and thoughts M&S welcome.

Regards to all

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Don't think so. You could take your Sky box from home away in the van with you though, that way you would get maximum benefit from one subscription. Of course unless you have one of the rare (mythical?) 12v ones you will need either EHU or an inverter to use it.

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

With your current system you should be able to pick up numerous freesat channels not just a few. I think the self-seeking isn't so to speak. This needs sorting first then look at Sky, but I don't think there is any PAYG version other than Now TV which is internet only.

4. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I take my one of my sky boxes in the van every trip and so does a well known trader on here, SWMB obeyed occasionally, couldn't live without her soaps.

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

We have a Pace 12v Sky box and the card works just fine in it.
    Apparently the movie package and sports package will not work when you move the card from box to box, but as we have the entertainment package ( no interest in sport and we have hard drives full of films ! ) that is of no issue for us

6. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

We just take our box, why not if there's no one at home to miss it. Ours goes with us in the van or on a flight to the Faroes but don't tell Sky that. :)

7. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

We take our Sky box and card from home, get the same as when home apart from those services that need a phone line connected.

8. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

I believe it's only Multiroom that needs a phone line connected. Even then, Sky randomly call the phone number registered to the box/account - if they don't get a reply, you get a warning. Do it twice, and they charge you for a second account.

9. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

I have multi room and take the box from upstairs. We don't have a phone line connected to it at home so no different in the van. we have been doing it this way for a good number of years and not had any issues.

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Or you could buy a freesat receiver and pay nothing.

They all transmit from the same satellite.

• Like Like x 1