SKY Tv

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by ShiftZZ, Sep 3, 2009.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Just got a letter from Sky, increasing their subs again!!

Can anyone tell me what happens to the Sky+ box if you cancel, what can I watch for free?ShiftZZ

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

We did this ages ago - we still get dozens of freeview channels.

But no Eurosport :-(

Do not buy their £20 card, I buys you nothing. I made that mistake.

3. madbluemad

madbluemad

Hi Shiftz

You keep the box and everything else because it to belongs to you. You will continue to receive freeview through your skybox, or through your tv arial.

I cancelled my sky a number of years ago and the only thing I miss is the footy.

I just got fed up with sky sending me letters to tell me that my phone line was dissonected and they were gonna send an engineer around to put it right, that was always gonna cost around sixty squid. As it happens there was nought wrong with it.

Between Sentanta and sky I was paying over fifty squid a month. NO MORE

Jim
    :Smile:

4. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

I've had a £20 card for a while now. If I take it out I cannot get some channels, channel 5 for example. How do you get round this please? :Smile:

5. madbluemad

madbluemad

Thats strange. I get channel 5 no bother. I also get it through my mh sat dish. Mind you, at home I took my box out and get my freeview through an ariel.

Jim

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ah, that's why I paid for it, I remember now. Legally that's wrong, Five is free to air so we should get it free. I'm sure this has been discussed in the past.

Rather than pay Sky £20+ I'd rather spend a bit more and buy a FreeSat box and get all the channels, well, for free.

We have a plain Sky box, I think I've seen that the "Plus" bit of Sky does not work without a full sub.

Easy to check - just pull out the Sky card !

7. madbluemad

madbluemad

Brian

I had a skyplus box and got all of the freeview channels, but I cant remember whether I got 5, a contradiction I know

A freesat box will get you more than a digital ariel or so I'm lead to believe. Either way its a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle

Jim

8. tony morris

tony morris Read Only Funster

Hi once your contract with sky finishes you can cancel with them the box and dish belongs to you it will go up again january 2010 when they put the 2.50 vat back on you can still get plenty of channels for free with out the viewing card hope you find this of some help to you tony

9. WillH

WillH Funster

We have a satellite box and can get freesat, 80 channels at the last count, if I re-tune away from freesat I can get over 400 channels, most rubbish, but at least they are free.

The box I use works like a Sky+ box but is much better.
    rgds
    Bill

10. madbluemad

madbluemad

What box is this Bill and are you talking about your home or mh
    Jim

11. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Update

Long argument with some 1/2 wit, who claimed that the increase was down to Gordon Brown increasing the VAT??
    He said that I sould be greatful as they had refunded the previous VAT increases, blah blah blah!!
    When challenged, he was abusive. How I hate Sky and the attitude of the staff.
    45 mins latrer, eventually got offered 25% discount, which I declined.

Back to normal TV.... Yipeeeee

ShiftZZ (about to take the hard drive out of the sky+ box)

12. johng

johng Read Only Funster

yep.. I have sky plus in the van, but can't record or watch anything recorded, without paying £16 a month subs..

J

13. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

where to start....
    You will not get Freeview throught your sky box.
    Freeview is a completely different system
    Freeview is only available via a TV aerial and Freeview receiver.
    You may get some of the channels available on Freesat on your sky box, but some channels on Freeview are PAY on satellite (Dave for example)

With a Sky+box with no subscription you will still get all the free to air channels (BBC ITV C4)

With a Sky+box with a freesatfromsky or ex subscription card you will still get all the free to air channels (BBC ITV C4) and the free to view channels (Fiver, Fiver, Five USA Sky 3).

You MUST pay Sky something per month for access to their Sky+ functions.
    Either £10 per month for justthe Sky+ functions, or take out their minimum subscription and get 50or so channels for an extra £6 per month.

If you want HDD functions but dont want to pay then look at the Freesat+ system, or a generic HDD recorder. YOu always have choices apart from Sky!!

3 of the 4 FIVE Sky regions are only available with a Sky card.
    1 Sky Five region is now free (within the last fortnight)and has been mapped to 105, which is also the Freesat version of Five. This is due to DSO in the UK.
    Which region you have depends on your UK postcode.
    You have always been abale to get the Freesat version of Five on a Sky box...since it lauched just under a year ago...so not "illegal" as you say. You just add the Freesat version to your other channels list. (10773 h 22 5/6)
    Fiver and Five USA are not freetoair, but freetoview and therefore need a sky card. if you are unhappy at this contact Five, not Sky!

Offically on Freesat there are only around 130 channels - most of these are BBC1 regions. However in nonfreesatmode you can scan tfor the rest of the freetoair channels that have not paid to be in the "official freesat epg". therefore all the free to air channels on a freesat box can be picked up on a sky box , even without a sky card.

Sky have always raised their prices in September, at least for the last 5 or so years. And some packages are actually staying the same price, i think one is reduced. And dont forget the 1.5% VAT is also to be reapplied in January.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  14. jakeontour

jakeontour Read Only Funster

In front of this computer when I should be out in
    Hi Satandpcguy

For the benefit of a techno-dummy, please can you explain how
    works?

The limit of my understanding is turn on the Camos and Sky boxes, press the button to find the satellite, then Sky appears on screen :Blush:

Thanks

15. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

a free to air channel is any channel that is broadcast in the clear, without any encryption, without the need for a viewing card.

BBC1 is an example. It is available on Sky, Freesat and any other digital satellite receiver....with no card at all.

And bbc1 london is only on one frequency and one frequency only, and that is used by all receivers.
    Tghere is no seperate "Sky" and "Freesat" satellite frequencies....hence why people can use one dish, with a twin output lnd and use a sky box (withou card) and a freesat box and get the same channels...

there are about 200plus free to air channels available on the uk tv satellites...all available without any sky card at all.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  16. madbluemad

madbluemad

This post started by talking about SKY subscriptions at home and has drifted on to tv in the m/h - rv.

Unless you have a sky subscription I cant see the point of putting a sky box in to a m/h.

There are loads of boxes out there that are cheap and a lot smaller and lighter than a sky box. They probabley do a better job as well.

Jim

17. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

Haven't had sky since the mid 90s when they started screwing the price up for junk tv. Have just bought a Bush Freesat box from Argos for £49, repointed my 80cm dish to 28 degrees (been out of use since uk analogue tv closed down on 19.2/13 degrees) stuck a dual band universal lnb on and away we go all inclusive of the already paid for tv license. Shame there isn't anything worth pointing the other lnb at though.

Freesat is easily as good as Freeview with extra channels. Shall be fitting this in my MH when the new Kathrein BAS60 arrives.

18. EzeeRider

EzeeRider Read Only Funster

To complicate matters further Sky are re-issuing the cards to subscribers, so if you currently use a blue sky card and are a non subscriber the chances are you will lose the free-to-view encrypted channels in the future!

The Freesat spot beam transponders used to broadcast to the Uk are also full and it looks like we will not see any worthwile expansion of channels on freesat until a solution is found to this lack of capacity. I am very disappointed that we are unlikely to see any more public HD channels broadcast for sometime.

Sky seems to have us all by the short and curlies!

ezee

19. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

Hi shiftzz you keep the dish box etc,and get all the free SKY channels this is not the same as free view you get a lot more channels on freeview,sky is a complete rip off they're always trying to find different ways to fleece us for more money,they certainly wont be getting any of mine:thumb:

20. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

Get a freeview box and you'll get all the channels you can't get free from sky:thumb: