Jul 24, 2015
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T720 2016
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello all

We let our Sky subscription lapse quite some time ago (yet again!). We are considering renewing but only if we are likely to get good coverage in our motorhome, in the UK initially.

Does anyone have recent experience? I am assuming I will be provided with a new Sky box. Will my 'old' box suffice in the van?

I appreciate we will not be able to get live sport or movies.

We have a RoadPro sat-dome.

Any words of wisdom welcome from this newbie. Thanks :)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Make sure it's not the sky Q, I recently did the same and found that Sky Q won't work in the van as it has a different LNB setup and the viewing card for the sky Q box won't work with the hd box
Had to change back to Sky HD box

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Need multi room to enable your old box to work in the van, but coverage is good down to southern France with our 85cm dish. In Spain Sky channels are all we can get, but you get your full subscription, just not BBC, ITV etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I had the RoadPro fitted to my last van and subject to the usual 'line of sight' rule to the satellite, there were only a few UK sites that I visited where I couldn't lock on and these were usually due to hills or dense trees.

It worked well in the Vendee region of France too, but I didn't get the opportunity to try it any further south.

It was a bit of a surreal moment the first time I tuned in in the Vendee, to see my local news presenter, presenting the local news back home on BBC Look North.

I don't subscribe to Movies or Sports, so never noticed if they were available away from home, but with my Sky card in, I got exactly the same channels as at home. If I forgot to take my card, there were still plenty of channels available.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If you only watch the normal channels you don't have to renew at all, you will still get BBC 1,2, itv c4 c5 and quite a few others.....

I had an old sky box in mine and I just bought a humax box for about £40 and it works a treat and get lots of channels on freesat, enough for me...:xThumb:

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
The sky viewing card is linked to your sky box, your old box will not receive any subscribed channels, you will need to take your new sky box with you, we take ours and it works great.
Don

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
J

we run ours off a 150w invertor but you won't get anything in western Spain the box won't initialise.
How much did you pay for a 150w invertor Alan ?
Also, how many leisure batteries you running with it ?

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I had an old Sky box given to me together with an old viewing card. I have never subscribed to Sky, but the old card was for the same region as I live in. With the card in place in the box I get the local regional stuff with no problem. Without the card being inserted it is still possible to get all of the UK regions, but at the top end of the channel numbers. The original box I was given packed up working but I was given another and that works just the same, ie with or without the viewing card. Note that this setup only gives me the free channels.

Dave

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
i would just get a freeSat recorder , job done nothing more to pay , esp to rip of sky
BTW i'm thinking on looking at a disk sometime for the MH , i'd prob buy 2nd hand if poss and fit myself.
What size of Satellite Dish should i look for use in Europe , most likely Spain

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What size of Satellite Dish should i look for use in Europe , most likely Spain

If you want to guarantee all UK channels everywhere in Spain then you need a far bigger dish than you could fit on your van.

Go for an 85cm dish and when you get far enough South that you can't receive a signal just accept it. :xThumb: When the atmospheric conditions are kind and you pick up a signal a long way South treat it as a bonus.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
With regard to powering the box.

Can I ask is it like our BT box that the plug steps down the voltage and I'm guessing to around 12v

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Those the Sky box is 240v it has an in built transformer its only actually 12v and ,therefore, uses a few watts when run through an inverter.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
You don't need a Sky box to receive Sky channels just the Sky viewing card, :eek: :whistle:

For the last couple of years I have only taken the sky card away with us in the tin tent and now with the motorhome as I have had one of these receivers fitted instead of taking the sky box. It runs off 12v and is stuck onto the rear of the telly using the supplied foam pads.

http://www.pulsat.com/products/SAB-...eceiver.html?gclid=CNOplpeAjtECFVTnGwodfZ4B3g

This picture shows where it is mounted on our Avtex telly, excuse the wiring as the picture was taken as it was all put together to ensure it worked and received/ decrypted sky channels. In this picture I piggy backed the receivers 12v connection onto the TV power feed which I have done away with and both the TV and receiver have their own independant 12v supply.

IMG_0095%20Large_1.jpg

The problem with this receiver though is for most viewing cards it is plug and play, if not the firmware has to be updated to allow the decryption program to work on your sky card. Another issue is that you do not get the sky scrolling bar for each channel instead you get an EPG screen which allows you to set up your favourites ie sky programs you watch all the time. With this there is another issue, you get all the regional channels of BBC, ITV etc as it is not set to a specific region like the sky box.
The pro's are its size, its HD, 12v and is inexpensive compared to buying a second hand sky box.

HTH Brian.

OP
OP
Tirisdeach

Tirisdeach

Free Member
Jul 24, 2015
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T720 2016
Exp
I'm a newbie
You don't need a Sky box to receive Sky channels just the Sky viewing card, :eek: :whistle:

For the last couple of years I have only taken the sky card away with us in the tin tent and now with the motorhome as I have had one of these receivers fitted instead of taking the sky box. It runs off 12v and is stuck onto the rear of the telly using the supplied foam pads.

http://www.pulsat.com/products/SAB-...eceiver.html?gclid=CNOplpeAjtECFVTnGwodfZ4B3g

This picture shows where it is mounted on our Avtex telly, excuse the wiring as the picture was taken as it was all put together to ensure it worked and received/ decrypted sky channels. In this picture I piggy backed the receivers 12v connection onto the TV power feed which I have done away with and both the TV and receiver have their own independant 12v supply.

IMG_0095%20Large_1.jpg

The problem with this receiver though is for most viewing cards it is plug and play, if not the firmware has to be updated to allow the decryption program to work on your sky card. Another issue is that you do not get the sky scrolling bar for each channel instead you get an EPG screen which allows you to set up your favourites ie sky programs you watch all the time. With this there is another issue, you get all the regional channels of BBC, ITV etc as it is not set to a specific region like the sky box.
The pro's are its size, its HD, 12v and is inexpensive compared to buying a second hand sky box.

HTH Brian.

IMG_0095%20Large_1.jpg

HTH Brian.

Thanks Brian, this looks a great idea and at £89.95 is inexpensive. Have a good day. Cheers, Neil

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
If you want to guarantee all UK channels everywhere in Spain then you need a far bigger dish than you could fit on your van.

Go for an 85cm dish and when you get far enough South that you can't receive a signal just accept it. :xThumb: When the atmospheric conditions are kind and you pick up a signal a long way South treat it as a bonus.
Thanks ill have a measure next time i'm up and see if a 85cm dish will fit where the tv aerial is atm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back