sky tv card

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ciderman, Mar 9, 2013.

1. ciderman

ciderman Funster

Would I be right in thinking I can use my sky card from home in my pace sky receiver in the motot home just want to make sure before I commit

Thx

Andy

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Yes and you should get all the programmes you subscribe to...

And the local news to where the card was registered to.... when you took it out, where ever and what ever part of the country you are in... :thumb:

3. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Not necessarily VeryOldMoMan. It depends on what box it came out of and what it is going into. The only real test is to try it as no harm will come. It will either work or not and you will either get all of your channels, some of them, or only the Freeview ones. :Wink:

4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

It will work for a short period, but sky has now paired the sky card to the box, so if it is not in the original box you will not receive the ecm updates needed or the card to decode channels. The best thing to do is take the box that the card is paired too and it will work faultlessly.

5. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Well I used mine up at Briersfield a couple of weeks ago in a different box to what we have at home and it worked,,, :Cool:

But I am special... :thumb:

6. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

As I stated it [HI]will work for a short period[/HI] ( 2/3/4 weeks ) however if it misses the ecm updates the card will "die" and you then need to call sky direct and ask them to resend the updates. This they will do a number of times then they start to ask questions!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Phill D

Phill D

We have been using our card in
    1. The sky + box main tv,
    2. Kitchen sky box ( old non sky + box )
    3. In our van in the 12v sky box.

WE get all our subscribed channels and have done so for nearly 3 years now.

You need to call sky and register the card to your new box, it will still work in the other box with all channels..... at least ours does.:thumb:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  8. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

The real answer is it might do, then it night for a little while, then it might not at all.

The pace box uses a white card, I manged to get one from sky for a one off payment of 15£, it's all to do with security apparently. My home sky card in the hd box, will not work in the pace box...

Only real option is to try it.

Also if you pay£10 per month and have multi room they will pair a card up to your pace box which will work all the time. Why sky can get away with this is unreal, at the end of the day you can't watch TV in two places, your paying for it, you should be able to put it in any box.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. seanoo

seanoo Funster

your card will work no problem in ant sky box you put it in. you will get all the channels you subscribe to except the premium channels (sky sports, and the sky movie channels) to get these you need to use the box the card is paired to . my card spends 6 months in the camper pace minibox and 6 months at home in the sky+ box . all the best sean

• Like Like x 1
  10. haganap

If only this were true, it may be for you, but not for many :Sad:

As I said the OP needs to try it...

What box do you have at home? Is it HD ?

11. seanoo

seanoo Funster

hi haganap , i have a sky + hd box now , but have used other boxes over the years. no one i know has any problems either ?? cheers sean

12. ciderman

ciderman Funster

None I have a virgin:Laughing: and it's a pace 12v box in the motor home and I do not want to change to sky st home if it will not work in the pace

13. haganap

Yep, I stand corrected, just tested, mine works, but only basic channels? I now know why I never went that route and got a white card for the pace box, because if I take the card from the box, those left at home can't watch TV:Doh:

When I enquired I was told the only way was via a multi room, because I wanted to watch footie on a Sunday pm, as you say, that's not possible by simply switching the card.

• Like Like x 1
  14. seanoo

seanoo Funster

hi ciderman , your card from home will work but as haganap has stated and you will get all your basic channels . so if you have sky sports and sky movies you wont get these in our van. cheers sean

15. ukbill

ukbill Funster

to be on the safe side take the box it is registered to or you may get nowt on it

16. Thedriver

Thedriver Read Only Funster

Hi All; I have a multyroom card in a 12v pace box that lives in the van all the time. If you don't use it regularly it starts losing subscription channels. All you have to do is ring Sky to reactivate it but they still take my £10 a month!!! so I put the dish up at home,leave Sky on for a couple of hours to keep it refreshed.I have'nt tryed the home hd card in the Pace.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Guy's what your taking about is FREE SAT and this DOES NOT pairing with a box. It is only for subscription channels, I most have read the first post wrong.

18. Thedriver

Thedriver Read Only Funster

I'm getting confused now,who mentioned Fresat?

19. keith

keith Funster

Now in Portugal watching ALL my subscribed channels (except 5 but then I am a long way away) :Rofl1:

When I first connected it came up with message saying wrong card for this box. I then went to Sky web site and found out they have a function for you to register your card to another box. It tells you where to find the box details and how to pair the card with it's new box.

To: Thedriver.
    Even if you don't subscribe you will be able to get Freesat channels via your Sky box, I was able to do this before I paired it to the box I have here.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jaygee

jaygee Funster

We have a sky box at our house in Spain. We tried taking our sky card and using it in that box but we only got non subscription channels. As we are out there for months at a time & hubby wants sports we started taking our box as well.
    Now however we have community tv on our urbanization (free after a 50E payment) and that includes sky sports channels so don't bother anymore.:thumb::thumb:
    Mum & Dad who live in the flat upstairs have a sky+ box with a card registered to our UK address as a multiroom and they get all the channels for £10 per month. Only downside of that is if it was only us then when we were away from home we could drop our subscription to the minimum £7.50 a month for the months we are away but this would mean that they would only get the bare minimum channels as well so we keep paying:Eeek: