Sky Q Silver - Take Away Viewing (1 Viewer)

Shaggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
dorset
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 700 LEG
Exp
I'm a newbie!
Just a quick bit of advice to whoever may be interested.

I've just had 'Sky Q Silver' installed...just because I'm a window licker and always like the latest tech!!

Anyway, with Sky+HD, my previous system, I wasn't able to use the recordings on the box unless it was connected to a satellite signal. With this new system I was able to disconnect the box from both the satellite cable and wifi and still view and control all the programmes I had purchased, recorded or downloaded.

Although this is not relevant to those who use satellite with their MoHo's, it ay be more interesting to those who don't want more than access to recorded content, or those who want to record a shed load of content (2 or 3TB) to take away with them to dip into if the weathers bad!! Much cheaper than a new satellite system for the van, but more per month to rent?! Swings and roundabouts...

As well as the above, its a great system with a lot to offer

Andy

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you, we are due to change from bt soon so well worth the look.
Are you able to transfer recorded programmes to a sub stick or your iPad?

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
dorset
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 700 LEG
Exp
I'm a newbie!
Yes, you can watch via iPad (not iPhone) or android tablet with the same interface and programmes available just like the TV. You can also download to memory of device or external storage via the tablet. The beauty is that the whole system relies on wifi and therefore the multiroom is not reliant on satellite cable, so the one extra box you get with the subscription can go anywhere within wifi range!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We upgraded to Sky Q a couple of weeks ago.

It does all that plus a hell of a lot more. You really need multi room to get full benefit from it. I'm still playing at the moment but it's a massive leap forward from Sky+. One particularly impressive thing is a feature where if you're watching something, whether live action or recorded/downloaded, you can stop it and then carry on from where you left off in a different room (or on a mobile device)

We had multi room before and the second box was just a basic one.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
One particularly impressive thing is a feature where if you're watching something, whether live action or recorded/downloaded, you can stop it and then carry on from where you left off in a different room (or on a mobile device)
Hard to tell whether they copied that idea from Netflix or Amazon :roflmto:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
As much as I'm not a Murdoch proponent, this Sky Q system is rousing my curiosity given we currently have tv and broadband bundled with Virgin and their now ageing TiVo box.

@Shaggy & @NickNic - out of curiosity, which broadband are you guys using with Sky Q?

On paper, the Sky Fibre broadband of circa 40mbps I could bundle in to replace Virgin is much slower than my current 200mbps, hence my curiosity (especially with UHD content coming and a family of streamers etc).

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As much as I'm not a Murdoch proponent, this Sky Q system is rousing my curiosity given we currently have tv and broadband bundled with Virgin and their now ageing TiVo box.

@Shaggy & @NickNic - out of curiosity, which broadband are you guys using with Sky Q?

On paper, the Sky Fibre broadband of circa 40mbps I could bundle in to replace Virgin is much slower than my current 200mbps, hence my curiosity (especially with UHD content coming and a family of streamers etc).

I have Sky Fibre. I might be wrong but I believe at the moment that Sky Q is only available with a Sky broadband package.

As to the speed difference I'm not so sure it really matters. It's like the difference between a car that can do 130mph and one that can do 180mph but both are only used on a UK motorway. Any network is only as good as the weakest bit so your 200mbs, or for that matter my 40mbs, is pretty meaningless if the server you are trying to download from is only allowing you a 10mbs connection.

My "slow" connection has always been plenty fast enough for anything I want to do. (y)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the confirmation. The Sky forums contain threads referencing non-Sky broadband customers using Sky Q (which may limit certain features apparently).
The line speed consideration for us is more about bandwidth to accommodate multiple concurrent users/devices rather than outright top speed, which could then become more interesting if Sky start streaming UHD content later this year (for example,I think BT state a circa 40mbps requirement for their UHD sports channel).

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The line speed consideration for us is more about bandwidth to accommodate multiple concurrent users/devices rather than outright top speed,

We have three of us plus whatever the Sky Q is doing and again I've never noticed a drop.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
dorset
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 700 LEG
Exp
I'm a newbie!

Hi, I have Virgin and I have had no problems over the last 3 weeks of ownership...sorry for delayed reply

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Skye is available to none Sky broadband customers for £50 install, so long as you have a movie or sports channel, so you need to put it on, then arrange SkyQ, then after a month take the premium channel off, that's what a advisor told me, and that is what I did

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
dorset
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 700 LEG
Exp
I'm a newbie!
It didn't work for me in practice when we went away? Anyone have any luck? My practice run at home must have been a fluke?

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Anyway, with Sky+HD, my previous system, I wasn't able to use the recordings on the box unless it was connected to a satellite signal. With this new system I was able to disconnect the box from both the satellite cable and wifi and still view and control all the programmes I had purchased, recorded or downloaded.
Does it allow you to access things without satellite or internet connection AFTER you have rebooted the box?
I would have thought that as it has no connection to anything for data, it may not allow you to do things after you have rebooted....
Info appreciated.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
dorset
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 700 LEG
Exp
I'm a newbie!
Does it allow you to access things without satellite or internet connection AFTER you have rebooted the box?
I would have thought that as it has no connection to anything for data, it may not allow you to do things after you have rebooted....
Info appreciated.
That might have been what has happened...? I loaded it with recordings and disconnected from sat and internet at home and it worked just fine. However, after taking it all the way to France it failed to allow any content to be played when i started it. I assume that with a dish and or internet it will work just like any other box?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
That might have been what has happened...? I loaded it with recordings and disconnected from sat and internet at home and it worked just fine. However, after taking it all the way to France it failed to allow any content to be played when i started it. I assume that with a dish and or internet it will work just like any other box?
Hi Shaggy

When you disconnected it did you turn off the wireless in the house? If it was still connected that way it would explain why it continued to work but wouldn't work in the van

Eddie

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
dorset
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 700 LEG
Exp
I'm a newbie!
Hi Shaggy

When you disconnected it did you turn off the wireless in the house? If it was still connected that way it would explain why it continued to work but wouldn't work in the van

Eddie
Hi Eddie, I thought I did, but I'm not 100%??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back