Sky Q and retaining HD Box and viewing card. (1 Viewer)

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Can it be done ? Q at home and retain HD box in van ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No.

The Sky Q box requires a different type of LNB and uses a different type of viewing card.

You could certainly install the old HD box in your van but would only be able to receive free to air channels. The viewing card from your Sky Q box won't work in it.

You can't take your Sky Q box with you either unless you wanted to change the LNB on your van dish. It also won't work properly without a good broadband connection.

I gleaned all this from interrogating the engineer when we upgraded to Q and then the next time I had the motorhome parked at home I checked it all for myself to make sure he was telling the truth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Could I not keep the old viewing card " active " with the old HD box in the van ? I realise id have to perhaps pay extras for this .

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Adbt

I think you will find that the only way you can retain your HD box and card as fully working will be to have it registered to another fixed address and pay exactly the same as you were for it before. If you suggest you want another facility at your current address they will say you need another Q box extension installed similar to having Multiroom on your old box.

As I am sure you know, officially Sky boxes should only be used at its registered address. With the Q box you can play the same TV channels you get via your Q box on a number of tablets, about 4 I think, whilst away. This is okay if you have a good internet connection however I think it will not work abroad unless someone can say that they have successfully done this via a VPN. Also I have found with Sky is that whilst I can watch a TV programme via a tablet it will not allow me to view it on a TV via Screen mirroring(Samsung) even on the one I watch Sky on at home.

Not the answer you want but maybe someone can tell us otherwise. Meanwhile NickNic is correct that you can use it in your Van as a Free to Air station box.

Doug

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Many thanks for the replies , unfortunately both my wife and i are cricket nuts ( i also watch the footie ) so subscription sports channel access is a must. Ill just have to " put up with HD " as opposed to Q until Sky turns off the HD facility ! Cheers.

The non mirroring facility is to stop pubs etc from using SkyGo via a tablet i believe .

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I believe that this coming weeks "Watchdog" on BBC1 is running a story about SkyQ. Might not be relevant to this posting but might be worth watching?

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Adbt

You could have a look at the "Now Box" with which you could take out various packages including a Sports package which may help sort you rproblem. However this will require a good Broadband connection and I assume will not work abroad.

Doug

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Many thanks for the replies , unfortunately both my wife and i are cricket nuts ( i also watch the footie ) so subscription sports channel access is a must. Ill just have to " put up with HD " as opposed to Q until Sky turns off the HD facility ! Cheers.

The non mirroring facility is to stop pubs etc from using SkyGo via a tablet i believe .

You can still use SkyGo on a tablet.

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
I just want to point a dish at the sky to get my cricket ! Don't want to rely on broadband .

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Interesting posting...there I was all set up to upgrade to SKY Q and heard the chappie on the phone comment about replacing the LNB on my dish at home....alarm bells ringing...as like others the SKY box goes everywhere with us in the MH.
I asked why the LNB needed to be replaced and after a few minutes of him talking explaining about technology etc I did a complete 'u' turn and said I would need time to think about the upgrade as obviously SKY Q wouldn't ney couldn't work in the MH.

A very close shave so like Abdt, I just have to accept HD for the foreseeable future.

Ian

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Interesting posting...there I was all set up to upgrade to SKY Q and heard the chappie on the phone comment about replacing the LNB on my dish at home....alarm bells ringing...as like others the SKY box goes everywhere with us in the MH.
I asked why the LNB needed to be replaced and after a few minutes of him talking explaining about technology etc I did a complete 'u' turn and said I would need time to think about the upgrade as obviously SKY Q wouldn't ney couldn't work in the MH.

A very close shave so like Abdt, I just have to accept HD for the foreseeable future.

Ian
Where about in Warrington are you ? We are near Moore , close shave by the way!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If anyone is that worried about it you could always change the LNB on your van dish to a Wideband one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-LATEST-SKY-Q-LNB-/182199097991?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Not sure if it points to exactly the same place so some further tweaks may be needed to an auto system.

Also, as I posted previously, the Sky Q box has very very limited functionality without a broadband connection. Sky won't even upgrade you if your home connection isn't up to scratch.

annenpaul

Free Member
Oct 26, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
If anyone is that worried about it you could always change the LNB on your van dish to a Wideband one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-LATEST-SKY-Q-LNB-/182199097991?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Not sure if it points to exactly the same place so some further tweaks may be needed to an auto system.

Also, as I posted previously, the Sky Q box has very very limited functionality without a broadband connection. Sky won't even upgrade you if your home connection isn't up to scratch.

Hi nick if I don't have broadband what will still work. I don't care about downloading films. I just want to watch and record with the Sky q. I have just bought this Q box to take to Spain. The engineer that was going to fit the new dish said it won't work without broadband so I presumed nothing would work.

Thanks Paul and Anne

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi nick if I don't have broadband what will still work. I don't care about downloading films. I just want to watch and record with the Sky q. I have just bought this Q box to take to Spain. The engineer that was going to fit the new dish said it won't work without broadband so I presumed nothing would work.

Thanks Paul and Anne

You need to talk to Sky. The whole point of Sky Q is that it's broadband based.

You might be able to watch but that's it. The record facility is definitely internet based as you can record and watch up to 4 (5?) things at the same time.

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
I've recently gone to Sky Q at home and am using the same viewing card as I was using in the previous Sky HD box. The card and HD box were initially supplied approx 11 months ago.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I have just changed to sky Q and didn't realise that it wouldn't work in the van because of the LNB, my plan was to get a snipe satellite which I am sure would make it difficult to change the LNB on
Called them up and just been back yesterday to put me back on the sky hd by changing the LNB back, having spoken to sky the sky Q viewing card would not work in my hd box (I tried to pair it) and this was confirmed by them and my old hd card was reactivated

annenpaul

Free Member
Oct 26, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I have ordered another normal Sky+ box to go in my daughters house and I will put that in mh. Problem solved. Cheers guys.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back