skiing

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by justin2410, Jan 27, 2011.

1. justin2410

justin2410 Read Only Funster

im away in february skiing to austria site all sorted etc but this is the first time for me any advice on snow chains as i know i have to carry as a legal requirement easier fitting ones the better and also where best to purchase

many thanks in advance

justin

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Don't be daft, if you put snow chains on the skis will never move.

Wax, you want wax.

3. madbluemad

madbluemad

Go to www.snowchains.co.uk
    I've never been skiing and the thought of it makes me nervous, I do fancy the bar at night time though, nice and warm and cosy.
    Jim
    :Smile:

4. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

Snow chains

Hi Justin,
    Sadly yes they are now a legal requirement in some alpine countries,but worth checking with the AA,or RAC before committing to buy.
    This site do them Parma Leisure.

Enjoy your Skiing am green wiith envy.

Red Dragon:thumb:

5. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

it's not sadly they are a requirement but GLADLY they are a requirement. We go skiing in our motrohome often. Last year I was so glad I had them with me as they were used. A couple of years ago I used them again.

There are many places that they are a legal requirement including regions of France. As to putting them on, you can do it two ways. You can practice practice practice, do it in the dark with people screaming at you, whilst laying on your back in your best jeans. That way, for sure you will get something like what it is to use them in an emergency. Or take a mate along who can put them on for you because he does not throw a paddy and start beating the snow chains up.

In honesty I have watched people who put them on all the time and struggle, so if you do dont worry. Just make sure you keep them untangled, that is the key to it all.

We to are skiing in February in fact only 3 weeks till we go, can't wait :thumb:

6. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

Hi Justin
    You will need to have chains through very often you do not need to use them
    You did not say if you are going in MH but if you do you will need the heavy duty chains 16mm ones, In the past I always buy them near the mountain in supermarket as much cheaper than in uk But this year locals told me I can get them at e-bay cheaper than buying locally.
    If you have not use them before, practice putting them on at home a few times before setting off. Hope this helps

7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

8. Chris

Just read it though and see they are not allowed at all resorts.:Doh:

Everone seemed to be using them in the French alps last year.

9. champers

champers Funster Life Member

We have the self adjusting chains for the car, they go on in 5mins no scrabbling under the vehicle, well worth the money and on our return recently from Spain we bought the same type for our m/h in a service station at half the price.... :thumb::thumb::thumb:

10. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

These are not good for motorhomes. They are only useful for cars, 4x4s and light vans.

Yes Kath, mine say that too. Both pairs I have had have said that. You are however married to a mechanic, I on the other hand am useless at DIY, Hence why Ash got mine and his on in 5 mins, where last time I put them on on my own, i threatened to drive the van off the mountain with us all in it :Wink:

11. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

I would not use this for Motorhome,
    I have never seen this type of chain use by any locals in any villages I stayed during any of my visits They all have snow tyres fitted to their run arounds and using chains only in very rare occasions.
    Of course, it is only my own observations

12. champers

haha
    No Paul seriously I have put these on and I struggle with things like this too norm, the advert shows a child around 10yrs old fitting them on... I cant drive this m/h... yet.... but I can put the chains on lolol

13. Ash

Ash Trader - Service & Repairs Life Member

Or take a mate along who can put them on for you because he does not throw a paddy and start beating the snow chains up.

haganap...so thats why you invited me again this year.....:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

14. Ash

Ash Trader - Service & Repairs Life Member

does this mean you are thinking of coming with us :Rofl1::Rofl1: you said you will be coming with us :thumb::thumb: come on you no you what to...:Rofl1::Rofl1:

15. champers

If i could drive this m/h I would luv to go with you guys , i am gutted that we wont ski this year or prob ever again, I have really been trying to persuade the o/h to go ... lolol but it is a case of the dogs, loss of work groan, been told yes i can go if i want ....moi me drive this m/h up/down the alps on my own ... i dont think soo ...bummer... hate being a feeble driver I know but alas cant do it ... so I guess it will be a case of having to sell all my gear reluctantly
    never to enjoy the most wonderful thrill of freedom on the vast mountain ranges and the vast scenery ever to be seen ... pure heaven xx

16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

17. Ivys

Ivys Read Only Funster

We went skiing in Austria just after Christmas - although we had chains we never came close to needing them. Austrian roads are generally in the valleys and flat.

We had a bag of grit, which we did actually use (on a nearly-level bit of road).

As I understand, in other countries you probably will require chains (e.g. France).

I would however strongly suggest you get winter gyres.

18. Chris

You are probably spot on. I just noticed a lot of them because I hadn't seen them before.

19. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Haggers: "We go skiing in our motorhome often."

You've got one big motorhome there, chum!

I'm all for funsters being on the piste, but they don't spell usually it that way

20. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Lisa in Ice Road Truckers can put her chains on unaided in 5 minutes - I've seen her do so several times - and she's soooo sweet !!! :Wink: