Skiing Winter 2015/2016 - Who? Where? When? (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We are thinking of heading to France for a bit of skiing now that we've mastered the basics in Glencoe. Will hopefully get up north also

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Early March for us, once the kiddie winkles have gone back to school.

Undecided where yet, but fancy the Pyrenees for a change, we will be in Spain/Portugal Jan and Feb so makes sense (y)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Lightweights!

You'll miss all the fun of fighting off the immigrants with your ski poles at Calais!
LOL...
Calais isn't on our route @jonandshell
Ireland/Cherbourg is the usual trip in the MH.

This time it's Dublin/Toulouse or Carcassonne
We've a home less than an hour from Pas De La Casa so ideal for skiing, but we usually stay at the resort for the week/10 days.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
LOL...
Calais isn't on our route @jonandshell
Ireland/Cherbourg is the usual trip in the MH.

This time it's Dublin/Toulouse or Carcassonne
We've a home less than an hour from Pas De La Casa so ideal for skiing, but we usually stay at the resort for the week/10 days.
Is it Pas de las Casa where there is a campsite. I know there isn't much in the way of camping around the Grandvalaria area but I think there is one there, ever been?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Cheapo first week in january group of about 10 will try to equal last year £399 each half board hotel including flights and wine tranfers etc in arc2000

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Cheapo first week in january group of about 10 will try to equal last year £399 each half board hotel including flights and wine tranfers etc in arc2000

As in Les Arcs 2000? I have cycled from Bourg St M to the hotel at 2000, beautiful views but what a hard climb that was!!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
After visiting the Black Forest in Germany this year we quite fancy returning there in February for a try at Nordic skiing. They do loads of it there (y)

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We're off to canazei in the Dolomites 30th Jan flying, would love to take rv but cost of winter tyres and chains outweighs cost of flying and catered chalet. Maybe when retired and can go for longer it will be worth it.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I'm now converted to skiing in motorhome - I actually prefer it to a chalet and cheaper once you're down there.
I'm hoping 3 weeks January/February in Austria - St Anton and St lofer, then 3 weeks late March/April france before sun seeking Rhine valley and med.

:D

Reason I retired!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I'm now converted to skiing in motorhome - I actually prefer it to a chalet and cheaper once you're down there.
I'm hoping 3 weeks January/February in Austria - St Anton and St lofer, then 3 weeks late March/April france before sun seeking Rhine valley and med.

:D

Reason I retired!

I assume you need snow chains and winter tyres to drive in these conditions?

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Snow tyres (I have second set of tyres on wheels- get changed over for winter. Should be cost effective over time). Snow tyres are obligatory in Austria.
I take snow socks.
But TBH I've never needed either. It only snows 5 or 6 days a season. They clears roads very quickly.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Snow tyres (I have second set of tyres on wheels- get changed over for winter. Should be cost effective over time). Snow tyres are obligatory in Austria.
I take snow socks.
But TBH I've never needed either. It only snows 5 or 6 days a season. They clears roads very quickly.

A set of std tyres for our rv is £1400, no idea what winter ones would cost. Snow chains or socks are ok but not sure at the cost of our tyres it's worth it for us until we retire, then like you we would ski as much of the season as possible. We probably wouldn't need tyres then as we could arrive before the snow and stay the whole season which would be heaven. For now we can only dream (n)

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
We're planning January in the southern French Alps again, ?Briancon area. If we get away before Christmas which looks possible we will go where the snow is enroute...VT, La Plagne, Tignes maybe. please let it snow:cautious:
more this year
Anyone heading south.?

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Michelle ryall we are , also going to this campsite first week March inspired by this forum!
I have booked chalets for family who are flying out and we hope to be camped there in our soon to be purchased Hymer. It's touch and go though as our house is selling slowly and the one we have booked to buy might not be, able to wait to that long. After that I hope to find, a good slope side site in the dolomites and ski in sunshine during March and April. Champs looks a great site!

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Booked for pre Easter in Soelden - tried getting in last year but fully booked. Should not be a problem with snow with 3 glaciers to choose from as bare minimum, March is always good there
Toying with Christmas to new year either Val Thorens or champ du moulin at Les 2 alpes. May just book tunnel follow the snow
Already bought new saloppettes in tk maxx!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I keep checking the web cams but no snow in Andorra yet, bit early I guess. :unsure:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We havent been skiing there but pas de la Casa does have a big aire/carpark you can stay on for about 20 euros/night. According to CCinfos - fill up with water before you go up.

Pas de la casa is not the most attractive of places but we did see ski lifts in operation and people skiing as late as April. Oh and the booze was really really cheap.

The other place we were surprised at was Granada in March. There was no snow at all in the city but people were staying at the campsite and hiring cars to go about an hour away to ski in the sierra nevadas.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
The other place we were surprised at was Granada in March. There was no snow at all in the city but people were staying at the campsite and hiring cars to go about an hour away to ski in the sierra nevadas.
Yes we skied in Sierra Nevada March of this year. Stayed on the car park at the top right next to the ski lift for €10 a day. No water but there was waste emptying and discreet cassette emptying was done in the evening using the public loo next to the lift.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Booked for pre Easter in Soelden - tried getting in last year but fully booked. Should not be a problem with snow with 3 glaciers to choose from as bare minimum, March is always good there
Toying with Christmas to new year either Val Thorens or champ du moulin at Les 2 alpes. May just book tunnel follow the snow
Already bought new saloppettes in tk maxx!

The VT new years eve bash last year was quite lively!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back