Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Hi we're thinking of taking the motorhome to somewhere in France for a skiing holiday.Any advice would be welcomed as only ever skied once , pre kids and stayed in a chalet. Can anyone recommend a campsite that maybe has drying facilities as I'm not sure I will be able to dry out skiwear for 2 adults and 2 nearly adults!!

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
You can take a look at www.motorhomeski.com
lots of useful info - and you can ask on their forum - sometimes takes a while to get an answer out of season - may help if you can be more specific with your questions?
Grand Bornand is good - also campsite just outside La Clusaz - swimming pool - can ski back (just) to campsite - Samoens is good - can't ski back but gondola right next to site -Pretty much all campites open around ski resorts will have ski lockers/drying rooms
A lot depend on your time available - budget - how good the van might be in cold temps etc
Enjoy - beats package holidays in our opinion

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Camping L'Escale at Le Grand Bornand comes highly recommended by Funsters.
Did I mention this already - that's where we are going in January! Not excited or anything. :clap2:

Site booked, Snow chains bought, new ski jacket on order, just racking up a few more Tesco points before booking the tunnel.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We are doing VT in Feb.......again!!!!!!

The kids love it there and we can just shove 'em out of the van in the morning!
The Xmas trip will be a bit more varied, Led Rousses and La Plagne are on the hit list!

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
How long are you staying out there on the Christmas trip? Le Plagne is't that far from Grand Bornand is it?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We are going to be out in the Alps from Xmas Eve to New years day.
Call us boring, but the New Years Eve party in VT looks good, we might just be tempted to get there for that!!
Le Grande Bornand is not too far from La Plagne or VT, but only if you are a crow or own a helicopter!!!!!!
Its a bit round-a-bout by road!

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
You will be gone by the time we get there then. We are booked in at La
Scala from 30th Dec and then might do a 2nd week over near La Plagne or Les Arcs, depending on the snow.

I Cycled up La Plagne to watch a stage of the TdF in 2002, not sure I could do that these days.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
We will be at Le grand bornand for February half term.

We have skied and camped many areas of France with kids although they are teenagers 18.16 now. .

If you have not skied much before I can thoroughly recommend Pralognan Le vanoise....beautiful town lovely newbie skiing and a very nice campsite to boot.. check out the website for details...

I would recommend keeping it simple for your first time in a van its not as free and easy as you think when starting out

We are taking in our 14th ski trip in 10 years in the van and still learn on every one.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Good advice there from the Hagster!
It is quite astounding how the cold can affect your MH in different ways.
It is very liberating once you have your van sorted though, there are many aires around the ski resorts and you get to stay there at a fraction of the cost of using hotels.
Our first MH trip was all Hagger's fault and we had a week off grid at the highest resort in the Alps, Val Thorens!
Our van was up to it however, due to a little army arctic experience and an unhealthy knowledge of battery care and charging!!!
A site with EHU is a good idea until you find your feet. You can always practice being off grid by unplugging, safe in the knowledge you have a lifeline if the lights go out! You can also experiment with gas consumption on site too!
After that, the world is your oyster!

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Grand Bornand at 1300m today
image.jpg

OP
OP
adriacoral

adriacoral

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Thanks everyone! Have done plenty of wilding but think we need a site with ehu for a first time! I will look at all sites, meanwhile any recommendations to keep the van safe in the cold would be very welcome! We have waste tank heater so hopefully the van is winterised to a degree....

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Do you have an Adria coral? If so I had one as my laSt van so can offer plenty of advice.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks everyone! Have done plenty of wilding but think we need a site with ehu for a first time! I will look at all sites, meanwhile any recommendations to keep the van safe in the cold would be very welcome! We have waste tank heater so hopefully the van is winterised to a degree....
What about your fresh water tank, is that internal or external?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
If it is a coral the fresh will be under the diner seat and internal. The pipework is well lagged but despite a heated waste tank you can come unstuck high up because the tan water won't freeze but the outlet does preventing water from coming out. Far simpler to drain in to a bucket unless your only washing up etc as the waste is big enough for a good few days...then empty....sit back up and then repeat before you leave

OP
OP
adriacoral

adriacoral

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
It is an Adria Coral! Guess my funster name gives it away!
Good advice thanks, just been looking at cost of ski passes etc and not so sure we'll go now , once you add everything up for 4 of us with ski hire etc think I need another mortgage! Lol

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We budget around £1600 per trip for 2 adults and 2 kids.. We do have our own kit though! That sum includes lift passes for all of us for 6 days, tolls, camping and fuel. It doesnt include food, which comes with us! The tunnel is free on Tesco vouchers!
Aldi and Lidl have ski gear promotions before Christmas each year which is ideal for getting kit for growing kids.
Alternatively, TK Maxx have a good stock of ski stuff in from about now. Surfanic have website and you will find some big reductions with their good quality clothing too.
Lessons and lift passes are the biggest cost. With the help of apps and books, it is possible to teach yourself, especially if you have skied before. Sending the kids for lessons would be about 280 euros for 5 mornings for both of them. They can then teach you!
Shell and I had both only had a weeks skiing some 15 years before we started again 4 years ago. Shell is nearly on reds, I chase my nephew down blacks! Neither Shell or I have had lessons this time round, we have used a combination of Ski School App and Ski Tips app!
Choosing a resort with free lifts in the beginners area will save money until your skiing progresses.
In Val Thorens, for instance, you can access up to blue (intermediate) slopes in the town area without a pass. Researching resorts can save cash if you are savvy.

The camping is the cheapest part!

Last edited:

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Site booked, Snow chains bought, new ski jacket on order, just racking up a few more Tesco points before booking the tunnel.[/QUOTE]
Also going for first time in 20 years and very excited. Site booked (les contamines, snow today). Salloppettes bought (old ones don't fit anymore and stolen by daughter as neons back in fashion)
However looking for snow chains. Any recommendations please for 0ver 3.5 ton a class on ducato base and good places to buy them

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I bought the snow chains off ebay, 16mm for commercial vans. Only paid £22 for them. 2nd hand but apparently never used.

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Any resorts with free lifts on nursery slopes?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Pralognan from memory has free lifts in the nursery slopes....

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Anyone going to La Plagne check that the Aire is still open. We were there last year and the guy running it said it was its last year. Apparently building a hotel on the plot, shame as the best located Aire I've ever stayed on. There was talk of a new Aire maybe further up but nothing confirmed. Just started thinking about skiing .

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Anyone going to La Plagne check that the Aire is still open. We were there last year and the guy running it said it was its last year. Apparently building a hotel on the plot, shame as the best located Aire I've ever stayed on. There was talk of a new Aire maybe further up but nothing confirmed. Just started thinking about skiing .

Thanks Rory!

That could make for a less stressful Christmas knowing that!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back