Size Matters (1 Viewer)

G

Green Bee

Deleted User
:thumb:Howdy Doody y'all,
Green bees here, Thanks for your welcome messages. We are currently running a bed and breakfast establishment on the South East Coast and plan doing this for the next 5 - 6 years. Once we've "done our time" we are going to give it all up, buy a motor home and disappear off into the big blue younder see the sights we spend time abroad. Our plan is to do it for at least 10 years, possibly longer if everythings stays in the pink. (You know, health, money, motorhome etc. I'm 47 and my partner is 50)

Ive been a member of the National Street Van Association and have had various custom vans for a number of years, which is where I got the travelling around the country meeting great people and generally having a good time. After roughing it, and playing rubix cushion cubes with various forms of put you up and down beds, our first priority is a fixed bed!
next is a large enough living area, for us not to have to keep sqeezing round things or bumping into each other and asking "excuse me" all the time. ( Don't get me wrong, we love each other dearly) but we both feel that space is not a luxury but a commodity.
For a couple of years now we have been looking at various motorhomes/RVs and we have narrowed our search down to a Winniebago. Aspect.
Now the big question is, what size do we go for?
28 foot or 30 foot? We are planning on doing Europe first, and not returning to the UK on a regular basis. (I know, this raises other questions, but I will tackle them next.)
We have been on other motorhome forums, and nearly all said do not go for a big motorhome/RV. but to stick to smaller motorhomes not longer than 9metres (27 feet)
We really have set our hearts on a larger vehicle because it will be our home for the next 10 years and from past experience, I think a larger vehicle is preferable but Im trying to find out what the pit falls are and how much extra will it cost us.
All advice, information and comments gratefully recieved. Thanks

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hello ,welcome to the fun. size does matter ,ask any woman. need big space for shoes etc. dont go too big as it does make travel abit difficult in small villages. also most with an rv end up towing a toad. i recomend getting a 5er .but some are not so keen. its all down to personal choice,make the right decision n its ok make the wrong one and you wont enjoy it. keep looking n ask to see in ever camper you can. see you on the road somewhere. alan. ps. i used to be a member of surf coast cruisers here in cornwall.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi the only thing that put me off most of the "C" class was lack of exterior storage, where for instance in most of them do you put your sun loungers? ::bigsmile:

The length you chose is dependant on how you intend to travel, their are plenty of sites abroad which will take a 40' but if you want the largest choice of campsites then smaller is better.

Its all about compromise, for us 30' gives the greatest interior space with the shortest length, and we wouldn't want to go bigger or much smaller. I think slides are vital, stopping overnight at aires etc. we still have space to move about without using them, but once on site its like undoing your belt. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
I agree with Olley & vwalan --either a 5er or "A" class but not bigger than 30ft, this size gives you enough space inside but is not excessive outside, a lot of the big RV owners would be happy to swap for one a bit shorter. You normally lose something if you go much shorter, a slide does make a big difference with space but they do add weight and can go wrong, it's all a compromise. remember service busses and delivery trucks go to even out of the way places.
Nigel & Pamala

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Smile: We have been Full-timing in an RV since September 2000. Our first I thought was 30ft (no slides), it wasn't, it was 32ft. Our second was 30ft (no slides), that's when we found the first was 32ft, and therefore too small. After throwing lot's of things away and still not fitting everything in, we bought our current RV which is 38ft with 1 full slide. During our UK visits we live in our commuter. Started off with 18ft, progressed to 21ft and now a 23ft. They are NOT suitable for long term living. The BIGGER the better. However, we now have a toad to use along with our bikes which we have ALWAYS used to get around and visit friends, do shopping etc. Happy searching and pondering. :winky:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Green Bee, we have had our current Hurricane A class RV 32ft for a couple of years , no slides as the floorplan arrangement is quite spacious. There is a fair bit of storage in lockers and outside belly lockers . The large rear thru locker gives space to carry two folding bikes as well as other lumber.
We love the space of the A class but now want a 27/28 ft on diesel for hopefully better economy ,fuel access ( we burn LPG at present) , and a touch more accessibility with the smaller size. We are looking at Gulfstream BT Cruiser or Four Winds Dorado or similar.

Larry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
One thing I forgot--------the size in the model No. is usually the internal floor length, not actual length. This could make 2ft difference !! To compare like for like be sure what the length really is.
Nigel & Pamala

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back