Size matters? (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
We spent the day at the Manchester show yesterday,lots to see but very busy.

The visit did highlight a couple of things regarding length of Motorhome and size of garage.The Motorhomes we have been looking at are approx 7.5m

We have a decent size drive at home so no probs there,but what difference does the length make when it comes to booking ferries and pitches?

Also size of garage,they did vary quite a lot ,is it a case of the bigger,the better?

Lesley

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Hi Lesley
I would ask yourselves what are your needs? Bicycles, motorcycles, kayaks, safari rooms?
The bigger it is the more you will want to take with you - much of which you probably don't need.
Then there is the payload issue. I reckon most motorhomers are travelling with more than they should.
Eurotunnel doesn't charge by length, just a premium for high vehicles.
Most campsites can accommodate large vans but you might ask yourself if you want to drive into towns in which case there are often restrictions in France and also a larger van is harder to find parking for.
Mike:)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I agree with above, we have 6 mtrs which is ideal tootling around in France and perfect for the Aires.
It would be nice to have a garage, but the extra length?
If we had a garage I know we would be carrying 'stuff' we don't neccesarily use and the weight issue has to be taken into account. You will find that-it seems-the bigger the van the less payload you get! So a garage seems a bit of a waste!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I talked to a guy a couple of years ago who was having trouble with the fitting of his garage door (unfortunately I can't remember the model of van). Eventually the makers stated that it wasn't a "garage" but a "large storage area" and despite having space for bikes etc, the approved load rating was much too low for such items.

Sorry that I can't provide more info: just BUYER BEWARE - Gordon

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Building on Gordon's post above our Autotrail Savannah has a half garage which is limited to 125kg payload.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our Garage is a cupboard about a metre long, high and half that across. Every cupboard we have is full, but we want for nothing to suit us two. We didn't want a bed you have to climb steps to get too. We didn't want a fixed bed because of wasted space vertically. We decided on a 7mtr van that uses all the internal space to a maximum rather that having cavernous spaces we personally don't need but every one to their own. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
what difference does the length make when it comes to booking ferries and pitches?
There is no simple answer. As far as pitch size goes, there will be very few places where you would have a problem under 8m & it's only when you get above 10m when you might expect a problem rather than not.

Ferries & toll bridges vary. Some charge more above 6m, others above 7m. The Denmark - Sweden bridges double above 6m. We are 6.4, so that's a very expensive 400mm. But that's where my head goes when I'm in bed, so I suppose it's worth it .....

In the end, it is of secondary importance. You need to get the right layout that suits the way you want to use the van & put up with any inconveniences that follow. It's no good having a van that's cheap to take on the ferry & then not go because the layout means you don't enjoy the trip. We are planning a Swedish later this year & I think the +6m length will cost us around €200 extra in bridge & ferry charges. But as we couldn't find a sub-6m layout that suited us, we wouldn't be going at all if we hadn't got the van that we have.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, We've got a 6.7mtr moho, reasonable garage it would take 2 pushbikes etc, we only use it for all the outside stuff , chairs, table, barbecue, tool box,electric lead, hoses/ water bottles, wedges & various other odds n sods, also toilet fluid etc.
We hate having to have these bits in the van & have move these bits out of the way while on our travels, to cook or eat our meals or relax or to go to bed.
As to ferry / tunnel costs very minimal difference ( on IoW ferry about extra £10 each way for over 6mtr) Tunnel same price any size, running costs no change & we've never had a problem on any sites or aires.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back