LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Probably an old thread being resurrected but just an update on silver screens.

We’re booked in to have air suspension fitted in Warrington this week and while we're here thought I’d check out screens as we’re not too far from Cleckheaton, the nights are getting colder, our screen’s getting wetter and we could collect on our way home.

For a 2007 onwards Peugeot Boxer I’ve been quoted:

Taylormade £117.50
Link Removed
Link Removed
Minster Products in Sheffield £110 +VAT (will send a pro-forma invoice as they don’t do cards)
http://www.minsterproducts.co.uk/wizmailer.cgi

Silver Screens £139 (less £20 for collection with cash or cheque as they don’t do cards). :thumb:

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

Had a long conversation with SS and I mentioned his son who operates as Silver Products and turns out screens a lot cheaper. I’m told that said son uses material that Dad wouldn’t use, i.e. the middle of rolls that can be creased etc. etc. Whether that means inferior quality I don’t know but I have decided where I’m buying from.

Silver Products £95 inc pp
Link Removed

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Hi

We bought the silver products screens, never had any problems with them and when we ordered them it was for the non daylight ones but they sent us the ones with day light so we got a bargain.

Dale

www.waveneyrivercentre.co.uk - Norfolk Meet this weekend 5th-7th, or longer if you wish. If you miss this meet there is always Waldegraves at the end of the month

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Likewise, we've a Silver Products screen on our Ducato. Great fit, good and thick, rolls up ,folds up, no creasing at all. And the waterproof bag provided is big enough to get the screen into easily, not like shoving a tent into that stupid little zip up bag thing! Buy one!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. as a philistine who has a full set of screens but never used them. what am I missing out on ?
We have a C class with draw curtains that isolate the cab ( albeit they are only thin )

Do the silver screens REALLY make a difference ?

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
As the going says "if you've never had them, you'll never miss them" . As we've only ever used silver screens I can say that they do make a big difference as they keep the heat in, the differnence being felt when the time comes to take them off and you can feel the cold. The internal screens that came with the motor just cause lots of condensation.

Dale

www.waveneyrivercentre.co.uk - Norfolk Meet this weekend 5th-7th, or longer if you wish

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ahh.. now that is interesting as we do get condensation even without the screens

Now you have me wondering if I should invest in a set of out door ones

Or not as I never used the ones I have

Or..

orrrrr

ohhh fer gawd sake

Now I am in even MORE of a bloody quandary !!

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Blatant hyjack:ROFLMAO::Blush:

Anybody recommend any of the previously mentioned or any other to have a set made?

We use the van, Winne A class alot in winter and needless to say two bloomin great windscreen are fun to keep the condensation under any kind of control:Eeek:

What we fancy is the type that the middle can be dropped down during the day to let light in then velcroed back up in the evening.

.....and yes, I'm planning on being sat down when the price comes in:Doh:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Ahh.. now that is interesting as we do get condensation even without the screens

Or not as I never used the ones I have

Or..

orrrrr

ohhh fer gawd sake

Now I am in even MORE of a bloody quandary !!

Yup, we got them and immediately noticed the lack of condensation when we started using them. A good buy.

One problem for wildcampers on public roads - it brings you into contact with regulation enforcers - failing to display your VEL :Doh:
One advantage of living in a field Jaws. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Do the silver screens REALLY make a difference ?

YES
We have a set from Cleckheaton. Silver screens. The one with the drop down front with the mesh insert . These are good as we can have the front flap down , see out through the day. Flap up at night , keeps the heat in and the cold out. There are 5 in our MH and 2 dogs . Even in - temps theres no condensation on the cab glass , when the screen is on. If we just pull on the curtains its running , streaming down the glass.
They also keep the MH cool in the summer too. Ours is fully winterised so with the blinds down and the screen on it doesn't get hot inside in the summer. Brilliant for the dogs , and us for that matter:winky:
The place in Cleckheaton does PX screens cheaper too. They will take your old silver screen , if its in good condition towards a new one for your new MH, then sell the other one cheap to someone. We have some inner ones, which came with the MH. These take longer to put up , and dont stop the condensation at all. They are probably better at keeping out the heat then keeping in the warmth.
Bev

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We had external screens supplied with the van (A-Class). Not a particularly good fit and not all that effective at stopping condensation. Also when it's been raining they are wet when you put them away. Bought some internal ones from Vancomfort, made to measure. They are easy to fit and much more effective. They remain dry regardless of the conditions outside. Another plus is that you don't have to go outside to take them down, either to admit more light or to drive off in an emergency.
The downside is that they won't stop the outside of the screen from frosting up.

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
YES
We have a set from Cleckheaton. Silver screens. The one with the drop down front with the mesh insert . These are good as we can have the front flap down , see out through the day. Flap up at night , keeps the heat in and the cold out. There are 5 in our MH and 2 dogs . Even in - temps theres no condensation on the cab glass , when the screen is on. If we just pull on the curtains its running , streaming down the glass.
They also keep the MH cool in the summer too. Ours is fully winterised so with the blinds down and the screen on it doesn't get hot inside in the summer. Brilliant for the dogs , and us for that matter:winky:
The place in Cleckheaton does PX screens cheaper too. They will take your old silver screen , if its in good condition towards a new one for your new MH, then sell the other one cheap to someone. We have some inner ones, which came with the MH. These take longer to put up , and dont stop the condensation at all. They are probably better at keeping out the heat then keeping in the warmth.
Bev

As I said in the original post our screen has been running with condensation in the morning over this last month, short of asking SWMBO to cut down on the cooking, heating and breathing I can't see any solution short of screens. We're going for external with the fold down flap and mesh which they call a solar panel. Wonder if it'll top up the batteries? :winky:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have the silver products bought from ebay new as every now and again he sells off at about half price his ex display and show stock etc. I have a gold coloured van and mine is a set he made as a one off to show what gold edging looked like at the shows::bigsmile:.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've got an old AClass one of the first Pilote made, phoned Siver Screens and was basically told to go jump by the female answering the phone! SO! went to CAK Tanks and ordered the kit I wanted and Mrs R knocked them up for UNDER half the price Iexpected (and was willing) to pay. My advice, and this works with a thingee running on this site about how do we as a group save a few quid, D I Y

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Forgot to say Mrs R knocked 'em up on a normal sewing machine, nothing special, all the kit you need is available from C A K Tanks (page 41 in their catalogue) 0844 414 2324.

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months

Get spending ::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Forgot to say Mrs R knocked 'em up on a normal sewing machine, nothing special, all the kit you need is available from C A K Tanks (page 41 in their catalogue) 0844 414 2324.

So how did you do it and what material did you need? Could you give us a little more info as I need to knock up a bonnet set for the winter in the alps.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Condensation this last week really bad in mornings, considering the Silver Products screens (Ducato 2010) could anyone provide me with the weight and size when packed in bag, cannot seem to find this on website.

I can see despite my initial objections OH is correct and for winter trips they will be necessary.

Thanks in anticipation

Stewart

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Condensation this last week really bad in mornings, considering the Silver Products screens (Ducato 2010) could anyone provide me with the weight and size when packed in bag, cannot seem to find this on website.

You wont regret getting one. If you use the MH through the winter , it will make the cab area much warmer.
The silver screen ones come with a flap that covers the engine vents too, stopping drafts.

Our silver screen ( Cleckheaton ) ways only 5.5lb and rolls into a bag which is 40 inch long and 38 inch diameter.
We just happen to have it in the dining room , a friend wanted to try it on theres, and ive jumped on the digital scales with it for you.:winky:

You could actually fold it up smaller if you didn't have the bag to go with it though. It fixes on and removes in no time. If it gets wet its only surface wet not soaked through. Just wipe it down or stand it in the shower whilst moving to your next spot.

Bev

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi,
I bought a set of covers from taylormade whilst at the cheshire show in July, they have the long front that covers the bonnet grillles on the peugeot boxer/fiat ducato, although my van has the modifications to stop the engine bay flooding it is still nice to see a clean dry bay. I was in York last weekend and had the windscreen cover peeled down, about 5pm it was raining outside and the screen started to mist, I went outside and closed the screen via the velcro strips and almost immediately the screen cleared up on the inside. The positives I find:-
I dont need to close the interior curtains, (gives a more spacious feeling in a sub 6mtr MH).
Covers bonnet grilles
Definately feels more snug and secure.
No condensation on the screen and side windows during the night.
Ability to leave screens on whilst pitched and peel down the front for daylight.
Magnets fitted to side screens to hold to securely to doors
Stops black streak syndrome forming on windscreen from water running from roof.
Negatives:-
Screens absorb rainwater through the stitching, takes ages to dry out / drip dry. (I stash them in the shower cubicle till home and then refit them to dry)
Sod to fold up and put into (generous) sized bag, roll them flat but as soon as you try to push then into the bag, they re-inflate.
Dont fit too well round door mirrors.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thanks for the prompt reply Bev, 38 inches diameter could prove a major storage problem though?

Stewart

You wont regret getting one. If you use the MH through the winter , it will make the cab area much warmer.
The silver screen ones come with a flap that covers the engine vents too, stopping drafts.

Our silver screen ( Cleckheaton ) ways only 5.5lb and rolls into a bag which is 40 inch long and 38 inch diameter.
We just happen to have it in the dining room , a friend wanted to try it on theres, and ive jumped on the digital scales with it for you.:winky:

You could actually fold it up smaller if you didn't have the bag to go with it though. It fixes on and removes in no time. If it gets wet its only surface wet not soaked through. Just wipe it down or stand it in the shower whilst moving to your next spot.

Bev

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks for the prompt reply Bev, 38 inches diameter could prove a major storage problem though?

Stewart

It shouldn't do.
Remember its not a hard solid mass. Its mostly air, so it squashes flat. There are 2 adults , 3 kids , 2 dogs in our MH and we find room for it. Our eldest is 6 foot 2 now as well:winky:
We take it all year round. Wouldn't be without it.
We keep it under the smaller front bench . Though it could be stored in the garage , shower cubicle , wardrobe , top bunk , luton. You could even fold it up and put it in one of the cupboards in the bathroom, but we like to keep it in its proper draw string top bag . That way once its wiped after use , its clean, and definitely couldnt soil anything else.
All of our MH bedding is cream BTW , so i certainly wouldn't even think about putting it up on a bed if it was grubby:winky:
Bev
P.S we dont have any problems folding them up too, like Gooney. They also dont get soaking( through ) wet. If its throwing it down outside and we want to go, Ralph takes them off. Quickly rolls them and stands them in the shower. We dont keep them on in storage. We just pull the cab curtains on and close the blinds. They are dry by the time we get back. They also fit perfectly round the cab mirrors . They are also only about 5 mm thick , if that .
Made of a layered thermal fabric .

Last edited:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Has anyone bought from silver products and can recommend?

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Ordered last Sunday they arrived Tuesday morning, OH who was a seamstress has passed them for quality and manufacture. Will test the fitting this morning.

Stewart :thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have ordered several sets over the years for different vans and have always received good attention and a rapid turn-round.

If I needed another set would not hesitate to use again.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Hmmm I'm now seriously thinking about getting the exterior screens when I get back to the UK. I have the inside ones but my cab is still draughty and cold. I've seen exterior screens on a lot of German and Italian owned vans out here where the bit at the side covers the entire door and not just the window. Has anyone seen those available in the UK?

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We bought internal screens when we got the van last Oct-the condensation was horrendous,so I sold them at the Bring and Buy and bought a set of Nova screens.They did a good job,but the fit was very good and after a year they are showing distinct signs of wear-to be exact they are falling apart along the seams!!
We have looked at Relis internal blinds,they seem good for privacy,but thats about all.So,now we are looking for external screens and this thread has come along at just the right time::bigsmile:

Mike

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Mike

Silver Screens to me seem the way to go, not the cheapest but they do last and fit well.

Longest set I have had in use was for about 5/6 years, let them go with the van as new base vehicle was different to my old one, but at that time seemed as though they would still be good for at least another season or two, at the very least.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

pelliott1954

Free Member
Sep 16, 2010
Funster No
Ordered last Sunday they arrived Tuesday morning, OH who was a seamstress has passed them for quality and manufacture. Will test the fitting this morning.

Stewart :thumb:

Come on Stewart, put me out of my misery, Did they Fit OK????

Paul

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Perfectly Paul, easy to fit even in strong wind, very snug so am well chuffed. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Come on Stewart, put me out of my misery, Did they Fit OK????

Paul

Attachments

• screens01.jpg
    screens01.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 22
  • screen02.jpg
    screen02.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 22

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun