Siting flashing led for alarm (1 Viewer)

Dergrowler

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2013
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class, Hymer B578
Exp
Since 2013
Good morning Berni

I think you have made the right decision not to drill into your light cluster and head light as you have already said it could be an expensive mistake which you would not be happy about on your new van which could also effect any warranty that you might have.

Regards

David

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
So, why not bin the alarm and just have the flashing L E D s:hi5:

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
We have our red led in the autotrail badge on the front grill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
ok time to come clean
The leds i want to fit are to fake an alarm type setup.
I have lots of physical security - dead locks, window locks internal motion sensor. so if someone wanted to get it it would not be too easy and an alarm would wake us.
As an additional deterrence without having to fit an alarm i want some outside flashing leds.
The cheap ones i have work off a couple of aa batteries and you can switch them off. Just in the process of testing to see how long a couple of batteries will last. The light from these leds is remarkably bright in the dark so not now looking at installing in the light cluster in case i forget to switch them off and offend pc plod.
Will have to be a bit more discreet so have decided number plate light area and somewhere in the front grill.
How are you going to turn them on/off?
I was considering this as an option before having my alarm fitted and power/switching was as issue

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
why not bin the alarm and just have the flashing L E D s ?
dont have an alarm which was the point of the fake alarm leds
How are you going to turn them on/off?
battery boxes have switches so just extend the wires to convenient location.

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
quick update.
the leds have been flashing away for 10 days now on 2 AA batteries and still going strong. so cheap enough to run (pound shop alkaline) for a months holiday.
one has gone in the number plate light plastic pointing downwards.
the other is in the foot step hole in the front bumper.
looks like a real alarm as far as i can tell but then i'm not a professional motorhome thief.
hopefully keep the opportunists away.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I have one inside above the window, when the blind is down it illuminates the cavity between the blind and window, its 12v and fed directly from the nearby light
Its very effective as the blind is silvered

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Our Meta alarm comes with a dedicated unit that fits on the dash in the corner of the front screen, it's red and not over bright so not too intrusive when in bed at night.
The problem with it is that on the occasions we put the outer screen cover on it can't be seen from the outside so I've wired a really bright blue one into the front number plate.
I've also now wired one into the dash because I found that on very sunny days the Meta red one is not easily seen.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Following with interest our Cobra alarm led is hidden when blinds drawn more so when Silver screens fitted. No facility on Cobra unit to add an additional led so am contemplating a dummy one switched and fused. My plan is to fit it into the end cap of light above Hab door this on my van takes it into wardrobe now considering where to take the feed. I think an led in this location could be a very visible and effective deterrant.

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
plan is to fit it into the end cap of light above Hab door
why not put it inside the fitting more diffused easier to see?
not sure what type of hab light u have if its got a sensor you might be able to find a live there already.
or use the hab light feed and tee off to a new switch to the hab light.
just a thought.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back