Siting flashing led for alarm (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Advice please
I need to position a flashing led at the front and back of my van.
I am considering drilling a 3mm hole into the rear light cluster probably into the reversing light area and a similar hole into the headlight.
Alternatively positioning them in the front of the dash if I can find a way in and putting the rear one next to the numberplate bulb.
Any ideas.
Thx
Bern

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just a thought, if you do fit one internally (by dash) make sure you cannot see it, or its reflection, when you're in bed - could drive you nuts.
Guess how I know?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Just a thought, if you do fit one internally (by dash) make sure you cannot see it, or its reflection, when you're in bed - could drive you nuts.
Guess how I know?

I close my eyes when I sleep so no problem for me :rolleyes::giggler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Mine is in the top of the speedo cowl.

Mine too - it was the reflection in the blinds doing it - a bit of insulating tape solved it.
Useless place really when you've got the blinds shut!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have 6 flashing LED's on our MH

In the center of the back bumper, just above the number plate
In the skirting, near the hab door
In the skirting, hear the passengers door
In the front bumper below both light clusters
On the dash board, just above the radio (which we cover with the lid from an aerosol container at night) as its behind the blind

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

On the dash board, just above the radio (which we cover with the lid from an aerosol container at night) as its behind the blind

Please excuse my newbie ignorance, but I'm intrigued as to what purpose these LED's serve ?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Please excuse my newbie ignorance, but I'm intrigued as to what purpose these LED's serve ?
They flash when the alarm is armed, either when the vehicle is unattended, or at night when you're in bed
They act as a visual deterrent to potential thieves

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Blue flashing lights have a certain meaning to the burgling scrotes and they don't tend to like them.
It's a good reminder to them that they might be better off going elsewhere as this van is well protected.

Ours are always set at night now, whether we are on an aire or a very secure site.

Richard.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008

That's 5 Robert, where have you hidden no. 6? ;)

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Thx for the comments so far.
Anyone got any experience of actually drilling into the headlight unit? Or the rear light cluster?
Could be a very expensive mistake for a very small hole.
Bern

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
@eddievanbitz lads drilled our rear light cluster so he might be the one to ask about the best way to do it. (y)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now

That's 5 Robert, where have you hidden no. 6? ;)

I make that SIX (in the front bumper below BOTH light clusters = TWO)

Dave

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We had ours fitted by Suffolk Alarms, a mobile service - did a decent job. We only have one flashing led and thats in the dashboard just forward of the steering wheel. The chap said he sited leds there so that potential thieves would see it but, as its in front of the cab blinds, it would not disturb us.

Paul

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
4 for the Growler. - Speedo cowl, Centre of front grill, side skirt beside back door and just to the side of the rear number plate.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Please also consider the more LED's you fit the more battery drain there is.
Folk tend to discount a couple of LED's as being a serious drain but here is a spec sheet for an average flashing LED

PARAMETER

MAXIMUM RATING

UNITS

DC Forward Current 30 mA

Peak Pulse Forward Current (1) 100mA

Avg. Forward Current (Pulse Operation) 30mA

Operating Temperature -30 to +85 0C

Storage Temperature -40 to +100 0C

Lead Soldering Temperature

So looking at just the average of 30mA, a single LED will draw a little over .5 of an amp a week
Sounds not a lot.. Now times that by the amount of LED's you fit ..
If you are someone who tends to park up from say, November to April then if you have two LED's fitted your battery will have had about 24 Amps drawn from it just on LED's alone.. That is without the actual alarm its self and various other tiny leaks that are the norm

All I am saying is be aware !!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
When at home I put ours on EHU with a seven day timer and power it up for eight hours once a week. (y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
To be fair, my solar panels take care of the batteries when the van is not in use but still....

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I was thinking of extending my single LED by siting extra ones just in front of the door mirrors. There is a small triangular piece of plastic just forward of the hinge line which I was going to fit the LED into. The rear of this should be accessible from the outer edge of the dashboard. I was also going to make it daylight sensitive so it would dim down the LEDs slightly at night. The single flashing LED fitted at present is sited at the base of the windscreen pillar and points across the dsahboard. At night I can see the flashes on my bedroom ceiling. If I can't, I know there is either a frost or someone has pinched the MH!

Jaws, don't forget that the LED will only be on for a fraction of the time (maybe 10%?) So the 20mA typical drawn current will average at 2mA (first blue LED I found at Farnell!). But the principle is sound. Without something to top up the battery it will be flat in a fortnight (it happened to me on my first MH) because of the drawn current of the alarm, radio etc, irrespective of the LEDs.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That figure I gave takes in to account exactly that Steve.. The AVERAGE forward current is 30mA, the peak is 100mA

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
The AVERAGE forward current is 30mA, the peak is 100mA
That sounds a bit high. Normally I reckon on providing about 20mA for a normal 5mm LED, but it all depends on the individual LED. I was working on the first data sheet I pulled up on Farnell. But 20mA is typical, lower for more modern technoligies. But lets not nit pick!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I just took the data from RS Components data sheet dated Nov 2015..
It does depend on the type of LED used but ones bright enough to be seen in even half decent light ( ie those with between 3500 and 5700 lumens ) are more power hungry than those that can only be seen at night !

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It's acedemic, most modern Motorhomes batteries will be flat after about four weeks left unattended with no external charge as the quiescent drain is so high(y)

Let's not lose sight of the fact that all motorcaravans are converted delivery vans designed to be thrashed Monday to Friday by Bridget the builder or Fred the florist stop start several times a day

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
ok time to come clean
The leds i want to fit are to fake an alarm type setup.
I have lots of physical security - dead locks, window locks internal motion sensor. so if someone wanted to get it it would not be too easy and an alarm would wake us.
As an additional deterrence without having to fit an alarm i want some outside flashing leds.
The cheap ones i have work off a couple of aa batteries and you can switch them off. Just in the process of testing to see how long a couple of batteries will last. The light from these leds is remarkably bright in the dark so not now looking at installing in the light cluster in case i forget to switch them off and offend pc plod.
Will have to be a bit more discreet so have decided number plate light area and somewhere in the front grill.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back