Sites or Aires? (1 Viewer)

Feb 6, 2011
Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi, I think you are a bit to thin skinned to be a member here, no one was lecturing you, and no one would comment on your grammar or spelling. You have had some excellent answers here, and no one deserved your response. Ah, maybe you are Welsh and a rugby fan which would explain while you are so touchy today::bigsmile:

Formerly Llangatwg.
Sorry, still trying to get the hang of this. I couldn't log on as Llangatwg so re-registered.
I felt I was being lectured. Replies in other Fora have been more helpful, here I feel as if I have entered into a well-rehearsed argument.
Yes, I am Welsh; no, I am not in the least bit interested in Rugby - not all of us are you know [that is a sweeping generalisation] so I fail to see what is meant by the last sentence.
I am 'tetchy', as I admitted, as I felt I was being lectured at.
This being the case, I shall perhaps continue to look for advice elsewhere.
Thank you for all the positive replies. Of which there were many.

Feb 6, 2011
Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi Llangatwg

We go to France and pass through France quite a lot. We often use 'aires' and we also use campsite, ACSI ones only, to relax, catch up with washing etc., On 'aires' you are not allowed to get the camping tables and chairs out, although on many by the beach no-one will say anything. Some are free, some charge only for the services and some charge overnight fees.

Have a look on this website http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm It's in french but that will be no problem for you. Also have a look at my website Link Removed we followed the Canal du Midi to the Med using aires last October, and some of them were in lovely places.

Have a great time wherever you stay.:Smile:

Hi
Thanks
Changed my name, as you might see from up-thread. Haven't got the hang of this yet!
Good to get a helpful repsonse.
I'll check out the websites.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Formerly Llangatwg.
Sorry, still trying to get the hang of this. I couldn't log on as Llangatwg so re-registered.
I felt I was being lectured. Replies in other Fora have been more helpful, here I feel as if I have entered into a well-rehearsed argument.
Yes, I am Welsh; no, I am not in the least bit interested in Rugby - not all of us are you know [that is a sweeping generalisation] so I fail to see what is meant by the last sentence.
I am 'tetchy', as I admitted, as I felt I was being lectured at.
This being the case, I shall perhaps continue to look for advice elsewhere.
Thank you for all the positive replies. Of which there were many.

Sorry you feel that way, best of luck elsewhere, For your info, Wales 19 England 26:winky::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Llangatwg

We go to France and pass through France quite a lot. We often use 'aires' and we also use campsite, ACSI ones only, to relax, catch up with washing etc., On 'aires' you are not allowed to get the camping tables and chairs out, although on many by the beach no-one will say anything. Some are free, some charge only for the services and some charge overnight fees.

Have a look on this website http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm It's in french but that will be no problem for you. Also have a look at my website Link Removed we followed the Canal du Midi to the Med using aires last October, and some of them were in lovely places.

Have a great time wherever you stay.:Smile:

Christine, can you tell me where you acquired this information " On 'Aires' you are not allowed to get the camping tables and chairs out," As I have seen it mentioned on fun before???? is it written down somewhere........now on some Aires the allotted parking place may not be big enough between the two motorhomes to put out a table and four chairs without going into your neighbours allotted spot ........but on all the Aires we go on, and have been on, we use the table and chairs and cook outside as do all the French Motorhomers, the Belgium’s, the Dutch and the Germans, in fact the French much prefer to eat outside....what you will find if there is not enough room between the two vans without you being an obstacle for your neighbours comings and goings ,there's normally room at the front or back of your motorhome for you to put your tables and chairs out to eat or sunbath in your chair.....and this is what the French do....... In fact in France there is pic-nic muti seating tables everywhere I never seen so many eating tables in places you would not believe there would be one!! it is one of the French's favourite pass times eating and taking hours at the table talking, chatting, debating, a glass of wine food in stages ????????????
its like musical chairs come 12.00 mid day everybody is looking for somewhere to sit and eat......come 2.00 pm whoooooosh they are off again
Mel:thumb:

Feb 6, 2011
Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Sorry you feel that way, best of luck elsewhere, For your info, Wales 19 England 26:winky::thumb:

Thanks for the info.

Just had a lovely response from another poster [in addition to earlier, very helpful posts] - perhaps I'll hang around for a bit. I seem to have touched on a subject which polarizes attitudes.
In my innocence, I just asked advice about Aires..... not advice on saving the planet and 'ententes cordial'!!!

AND>>> just as an addition???? Is there a definitive guide to Municipal sites? Never come across one [a guide I mean] and the sites we have happened upon, by chance, have been good.

Should also say that we have a very small 'campervan', so perhaps are in need of sites????

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Christine, can you tell me where you acquired this information " On 'Aires' you are not allowed to get the camping tables and chairs out," As I have seen it mentioned on fun before???? is it written down somewhere........now on some Aires the allotted parking place may not be big enough between the two motorhomes to put out a table and four chairs without going into your neighbours allotted spot ........but on all the Aires we go on, and have been on, we use the table and chairs and cook outside as do all the French Motorhomers, the Belgium’s, the Dutch and the Germans, in fact the French much prefer to eat outside....what you will find if there is not enough room between the two vans without you being an obstacle for your neighbours comings and goings ,there's normally room at the font or back of your motorhome for you to put your tables and chairs out to eat or sunbath in your chair.....and this is what the French do....... In fact in France there is pic-nic muti seating tables everywhere I never seen so many eating tables in places you would not believe there would be one!! it is one of the French's favourite pass times eating and taking hours at the table talking, chatting, debating, a glass of wine food in stages ????????????
its like musical chairs come 12.00 mid day everybody is looking for somewhere to sit and eat......come 2.00 pm whoooooosh they are off again

Ok Ill deal with this one first...

Mel, I have heard this said before and been informed it by the gendarmary. My understanding was it was just a law/rule that was rarely inforced or bothered with.

I have used it before to get a few of our continental cousins to put there table away when we are pushed for parking space. However they generally move when you just start reversing in to the tables, especially good when you get the L plates out and put them on where your seen.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Hermia,
That's nice to know, please do stay around. But do settle on a persona, you have three accounts now, you seem you rejoin when your complimentary posts run out; Gwendolyn, Llangatwg and Hermia, please choose one and then stay with it, thanks::bigsmile::thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Ok Ill deal with this one first...

Mel, I have heard this said before and been informed it by the gendarmary. My understanding was it was just a law/rule that was rarely inforced or bothered with.

I have used it before to get a few of our continental cousins to put there table away when we are pushed for parking space. However they generally move when you just start reversing in to the tables, especially good when you get the L plates out and put them on where your seen.

Like I have said, I have seen it mentioned on fun before!..........But I have been on hundreds of Aires and never come across this before......and it certainly does not seem to bother the French motorhomers or any of the other countries....I take your point that there is or may be a rule or law that could be used..........Mmmmmm.... but as with many others laws in France that are never acted on....live and let live.... so the mention of the NO use of tables and chairs would put most people off using Aires..... when 99.9% are doing it??????:Doh:

Mel

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Thanks for the info.

Just had a lovely response from another poster [in addition to earlier, very helpful posts] - perhaps I'll hang around for a bit. I seem to have touched on a subject which polarizes attitudes.
In my innocence, I just asked advice about Aires..... not advice on saving the planet and 'ententes cordial'!!!

AND>>> just as an addition???? Is there a definitive guide to Municipal sites? Never come across one [a guide I mean] and the sites we have happened upon, by chance, have been good.

Should also say that we have a very small 'campervan', so perhaps are in need of sites????

Now hernia, or what ever your changing your name too next :winky: (that's a joke hence the word fun)
In response to your first question. We have children, some times we will stop a week on an aire, sometimes a day. They are all very different in location, how busy they are etc. We have stayed on some beachside locations and spent days surfing without seeing another soul. Othertimes (especially when skiing) I have had to get out the passenger door and ask the chap next door to move so I can get out the habitation door.:Cool: (thats like an emoticon for like not really cool its a joke)

If you have a small camper is it without facilities? if so then yes sites would be best, however, please, dont discount municiples, normally found in many books, in many places, and normally signed. They are super value especially out of season. :thumb: (thats an emoticon for there great)

Try and do a little internet search before you go and secondly, if Like me you speak great French ( I sing well aswell) get a couple of camping books from a french book shop.
So, I for one am pleased that you are still here, us funsters really really do love a subject put our way. However, one rule is never be critical of someone's spelling, many of us just got rich by winning the lottery or stealing cars so are void of a proper education. In fact, suffice to say that other than one or two, we are actually a thick bunch, but as I hope you have gleaned, give a lot of information. so sit back, relax, and just enjoy the scenery.

Please ignore Jim, he can't help himself, he thinks a load of men chasing an egg around the city of Cardiff is sport, he knows that the only real sport is that where men are paid humongous amounts of money to fall over and hold there knees.

Bring on Wales V England in March, :Smile: (thats a smile, shows im chilled)

oh and welcome to the fun,

Please Stay I already love your comments:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for the info.

Is there a definitive guide to Municipal sites? Never come across one [a guide I mean] and the sites we have happened upon, by chance, have been good.

Sadly no, at least I have never found one, either in paper or on-line..

If your camper doesn't have a shower etc. and you feel the need, then a municipal site would be a good choice..
In my experience, most small towns have one.. and if you cannot find, just ask at the local Tourist Office, they are very helpful.

Feb 6, 2011
Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi Hermia,
That's nice to know, please do stay around. But do settle on a persona, you have three accounts now, you seem you rejoin when your complimentary posts run out; Gwendolyn, Llangatwg and Hermia, please choose one and then stay with it, thanks::bigsmile::thumb:

EH???
I re-register after my computer crashes and will not allow me to log on again. When I try, it says access not allowed, so I re-register and sometimes use a different email addresses.
Sorry... make that when the internet crashes, since my computer is fairly new.
Confused? You bet I am. Blooming internet connection here.....

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Like I have said, I have seen it mentioned on fun before!..........But I have been on hundreds of Aires and never come across this before......and it certainly does not seem to bother the French motorhomers or any of the other countries....I take your point that there is or may be a rule or law that could be used..........Mmmmmm.... but as with many others laws in France that are never acted on....live and let live.... so the mention of the NO use of tables and chairs would put most people off using Aires..... when 99.9% are doing it??????:Doh:

Mel

Hi mel, perhaps its in some areas? some busy ones? I don't know and have only seen the Gendarms use it once in my favour. Perhaps you could make some enquiries for us? :thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Christine, can you tell me where you acquired this information " On 'Aires' you are not allowed to get the camping tables and chairs out," As I have seen it mentioned on fun before???? is it written downMel:thumb:

I've only actually seen it written in the Vicarious Books' 'Quite a few of the Aires' (my name for it)
But it would seem that French law differentiates between Camping and Parking. Otherwise,surely,they would allow caravans and tents-which they don't.
Maybe we shouldn't look too deeply into this one ::bigsmile:

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It appears to be the nature of the beast....

Everyone shoves their two penn'orth in, whether its actually relevant or not and its very easy to find a thread going off at a tangent.

Simple enough to ignore the posts which arent relevant to the question. :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I've only actually seen it written in the Vicarious Books' 'Quite a few of the Aires' (my name for it)
But it would seem that French law differentiates between Camping and Parking. Otherwise,surely,they would allow caravans and tents-which they don't.
Maybe we shouldn't look too deeply into this one ::bigsmile:

Mike

That's a rubbish post Mike, We all know it should read , some of the aires, or Ok here's a few aires in France make the rest up your self.:whatthe:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
It appears to be the nature of the beast....

Everyone shoves their two penn'orth in, whether its actually relevant or not.

Simple enough to ignore the posts which arent relevant to the question. :thumb:

Sorry papajohn, what did you say :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi mel, perhaps its in some areas? some busy ones? I don't know and have only seen the Gendarms use it once in my favour.

Have to agree with Mel, I have never come across this, even on packed aires people sit out behind or in front of their vans relaxing and eating ..

I have even shared my awning with a Frenchman. He drew up close, then when he settled I suggested pulling out my 20ft awing to give us some shade between the vans.. This we did, my awning resting on his roof !
We then shared a BBQ and had a very pleasant evening .. :thumb:

The French absolutely hate rules.. so it's no surprise that they do as they see fit on an aire .. but are always very polite and will move if taking up too much space.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi mel, perhaps its in some areas? some busy ones? I don't know and have only seen the Gendarms use it once in my favour. Perhaps you could make some enquiries for us? :thumb:

I will mention it on my travels .....but don't hold your breath if the French are not interested in the issue they would not even know the answer its like hitting your head against a brick wall....some of the advice we have had from our neighbours, is off the top of there heads made up, out of the sky or from another planet.....they are NOT bothered...give them wine, bread, good food, chat with them all day and leisure time, they are happy thats life,the rest world some times does not exist.......not one knows who is the English Prime Minster they still think it is Maggie Thatcher***** I give up telling them....because the next time they have forgotten:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Maybe our Prime ministers are best forgotten Mmmmm:winky::Doh:

Mel

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Have to agree with Mel, I have never come across this, even on packed aires people sit out behind or in front of their vans relaxing and eating ..

so it doesn't exist then and the Gendarm made it up and its written in the book for another reason?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
sorry Jim, didn't mean to sound harsh :Sad::Blush:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
so it doesn't exist then and the Gendarm made it up and its written in the book for another reason?

I don't know - you could well be right - it may exist.............is it enforced.... I have never seen it......there would be a lot of very unhappy motorhomers....... and were am I going to do my cooking:Doh::ROFLMAO:

Mel:winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I have just looked in the All the Aires in france.....and
Christine & Mikeandcaroline and Haganap are correct.....it says the french law does not allow for camping for example...winding out awnings, putting out tables and chairs......and IT FORBIDS CARAVANS AND TENTS USING THESE AIRES.....:Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have just looked in the All the Aires in france.....and
Christine & Mikeandcaroline and Haganap are correct.....it says the french law does not allow for camping for example...winding out awnings, putting out tables and chairs......and IT FORBIDS CARAVANS AND TENTS USING THESE AIRES.....:Doh:

well,
I guess Vicarious books haven't got round to a French edition yet to inform the French ! :roflmto:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
The camping car info website mentioned earlier is excellent. If you do your homework you can stay on a superb Aire with space to put out tables etc every night. I love Aires and its not just the cost. Its the convenience of just turning up and parking and coming and going as you please. The costs of campsites however are quite a lot for us as we never use their facilities.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
We buy the Aire de Services usually at the Eclerc that sets us up for where we want to go thay are fairly good and list nearly all the aires, it gives info on parking, electric and dump points and, cost we use aires all the time when we go:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back