Sites in europe - just a walk to town!! (1 Viewer)

Cannons

Free Member
Jun 22, 2009
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Hi All
We are just back from a 5 week - 3,500 mile journey through France, Spain & Portugal. It was out first big trip and we loved every second of it. We havn't got around to fitting a motorcycle carrier to our Motorhome yet, we both ride, so there could be some words if we take only one bike!! Joke. We don't have a problem with uping sticks and driving to the nearest Town/place of interest, it's just that sometime, being incredibly lazy, we can't be bothered.
I thought I would start a thread about Campsites that are within a short walk to a small village/Town. So I would love to hear from those of you who have stayed on campsites where you can access town on foot.
We stayed at Pont d'larch in France and this site is right on the edge of a pretty little medieval town and is also right on the banks of the river Seine. It only cost E9.95 inlcuding dog and elec for the night and was probably the best value site we stayed on. Sadly we were on the return leg of out journey and could only stay one night.
Over to you folks and look forward to reading your comments.
Oh almost forgot, thanks to the member who posted the details of the excellent English speaking Vet in Adres. Having heard stories of charges of anything up to E100 to get your dog cleared to travel, we were charged a very reasonable E47 and the vet spent 20 mins checking over our dog.

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As an alternative to two bikes, I have seen (Not sure where) a trike with the front wheel of the ground and fixed/strapped to a substantial frame on the back of a small M.H.

It looked a good set up and would solve your problem, and because of the weight should not have to be braked..

Think "Forest Boy" (Ror) club member would be able to point you in the right direction think he is well switched on regarding bikes and trailers.. :thumb:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Cannons

Great idea:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suntorfan

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Compass 2 berth
Exp
since March 09
Sites in Europe - walk to town

Hi guys, so pleased you started this thread - we are constantly looking for places we can walk to and pleased to hear of suggestions......looking for stopovers which are safe with like-minded people and allow us to pop into a town for the necessities and to absorb the local culture.

if this helps, we are first-timers starting out in March this year - had a brilliant time and hope this might help some people.........

Try....

Epernay.....Camping Municipal = champagne houses - 10 mins on bikes - 15 mins on foot

Baccarat ....Aire in the town square - not to be recommended though if a wedding party on a Sat night in the town hall - jewellrey shops open Sun morning

Saumur = Camping Isle d'Offard Kawan village - lovely town - one of our absolute favourites - 5 mins cycle ride across the bridge

Angers - Camping Lac du Maine - 15 mins from Angers - bus stop outside the campsite

Dinant - Ardennes - can't remember the site name but it is the only one

Bayeux - Camping Municipal - 5 mins from interesting town

Loches - medieval town - Kawan villages site

all I can think of for now.......................your trip sounded great - hard to come to down to earth after something like that,

Suntorfan.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As an alternative to two bikes, I have seen (Not sure where) a trike with the front wheel of the ground and fixed/strapped to a substantial frame on the back of a small M.H.

It looked a good set up and would solve your problem, and because of the weight should not have to be braked..

Think "Forest Boy" (Ror) club member would be able to point you in the right direction think he is well switched on regarding bikes and trailers.. :thumb:

sorry Mo.....because the trike has brakes they must, by law, work regardless of weight.
and it must have a 'handbrake'.

trying to find the relevent law 'cos someone is bound to query it but its taking time.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
To attempt to put this thread back on track, although we have never used it, from previous holidays near Chinon. Indre et Loire, I recall Link Removed, just 5-600 metres from the town centre.

Steve

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
There are 2 sites in Oliva that are ok and you can walk into town very big market on Fridays :thumb:

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Camping Mont-Saint-Michel HALIOTIS, modern conveniences

Stayed on the above a couple of weeks ago, excellent, in the center of the village, there is a gate at the rear of the site leading onto a cycle path that runs alongside a river about 5Km to Mont saint Michel

Also 5mins walk to vet, we provided the Advantix charged e30

mattb

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Funster No
This ones good in the Alps, lovely place, open all year and a short walk to town. The best thing was the Tour De France passed the entrance to the site, didn't even need to move for that ::bigsmile:

Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
French Aires

Don't forget there are over 3,000 French aires which are nearly always close to a town or village and many (towns) also have municipal sites , I just wish we had such fantastic facilities in the UK :Sad:

My favorite site for aires ..
CAMPINGCAR-INFOS

jim

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
A couple of good stops in northern France

Stenay, canal side close to centre of small town shops, restaurants, very good beer museum. Adjacent aires :thumb:

Charleville Mezieres Riverside site bridge across to pretty french town. Also adjacent aires. :thumb:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Honda Elemax SH1000DX Generator

Hi
Just bought a Honda Elemax generator model SH1000DX, has anybody got one and are they any good, bought it for new year meet as no electric??
Thanks
Val
:Eeek:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Generators are great for the user but hell for everybody else unless of course the user is parked in a remote place out of earshot. Sorry! I'm in a grumpy mood this morning.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
sorry if your feeling grumpy today, we don't usually use one but for new year we are on site with MH fun and there is no electricity, so though it would help out with the lighting and tele.
:RollEyes::RollEyes:

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Carcasonne. My favourite of all. In the main car park, right in front of the entrance into the walled town, with fabulous views of the illuminated town in the evenings. Free if you arrive after 8pm, and leave before 8am. Full facilities.

Bergerac. Right next to the river Loire on road into town from the Autoroute. Beautiful views of the river and medieval bridge. About 200 yards from the Vieux Port and medieval town centre. Full facilities. Though spaces for only 8 vans, about 10 others parked overnight, and weren't bothered. Free.

Honfleur. Space for around 200 vans on the River Seine side of the town, and adjacent to the marina extension. 5 minutes walk from the town centre. Full facilities, including electrics if you get there early. 8 Euros per night.

Calais. Space for around 50 vans right opposite the ferry terminal - turn right out of the terminal, then right at the next traffic lights, and follow the road to the seafront. Aire is on right. Full facilities. 10 minutes, perhaps 1km walk to town centre. 10 euros per night.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings All,

Bonterra Park in Benicassim on the Costa Alhazar 50kms north of Valencia.

350mts to the beach, opposite a Mercadona Supermarket, 200mts from Lidl and 500mts from a Spanish town that is 365 a year.
Roll on February!!!:thumb:

koffee

Free Member
Mar 22, 2008
Funster No
First one I can think of is Fecamp, Normandie, up on the cliffs with great views, wifi and only 5 mins walk down into town but 15 walk back up!

Also two aires in the town by the port, if you're early enough

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi,

There is a lovely camping site at SAINT FLORENTIN which is on the ROUTE NATIONAL 77 (RN77) about 40k south of TROYES.

We stayed there in 2007, nice and quiet, close to the river which has some very interesting wildlife.

About 8 minutes walk into the town itself which is a lovely old french style town. many shops, a market with plenty of choice, a good hardware shop (great if you need a multi meter because your battery is not charging correctly)

We discovered this site after a friend told us about it. It's a great stopover if travelling South or returning North at the end of a trip.

The site details are as follows:-

CAMPING de l'ARMANCON,
RN77
SAINT FLORENTIN
YONNE

Oldroadies

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Channel Islands
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autocruise
Exp
6 + 20 caravaning
A little town in the Landes region called Hagetmau (not the one in the Alsase), each pitch is self contained with own, shower/toilet/sink etc.. 5 min walk to town, also down that way Espellete in the Basque region, again on the edge of the village.
As a general rule most (but obviously) not all municipal sites are on the outskirts of towns/villages.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Olley,

There's no EDIT button on the map I received on my computer. Perhaps as the originator only you have the ability to edit it?

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike

I just had a look, the map is definitely set up with 'open' collaboration, so any one can edit, but you have to sign into your Google account first, then go to 'my maps'.

hth

Jim

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I know that Europe is more M/H friendly but what about UK sites-and not just the big club sites.:thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I know that Europe is more M/H friendly but what about UK sites-and not just the big club sites.:thumb:

York Caravan Park (YCP) is on the edge of the CITY about 2 miles , It has 22 pitches, all are hardstanding, with water & drainage. Can't remeber if they had TV hook-up. Clean Toilets and Showers in a new facility.

Literally outside the site is a bus stop, you can go into York using your national bus pass. get off at the Railway Station in the CITY centre, the National Rail Museum is very near and is free entrance, Great for a visit on a wet day.

If you fancy it the bus service also goes to WHITBY, SCARBOROUGH and somewhere else which I can't remember.

Spend a few days there and see the sites of North West Yorkshire.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi
Just bought a Honda Elemax generator model SH1000DX, has anybody got one and are they any good, bought it for new year meet as no electric??
Thanks
Val
:Eeek:

In my opinion generators are anti-social and show a lack of consideration for your neighbours

So instead of a generator use solar panel's and make friends of your neighbours instead of something else.

Doug...

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The original poster is going on a new year rally with MHF where there is no electricity. While he will be able to watch TV and enjoy the benefit of electricity his neighbours will have to listen to the generator droning throughout the day and evening. In my view these things should be banned as they are the height of anti social behaviour on any camping ground. Sorry! Still grumpy.:cry:

OP
OP
Cannons

Cannons

Free Member
Jun 22, 2009
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Wow guys & girls

Thank you all so much for the info on all the sites, beside or a short walk to town.
I can now plan our March trip with some of these sites in mind.

We didn't know what an aire was until it was explained to us by some fellow long timers that we met in Portugal.

We didn't use one, but are they safe, do they have proper facilities as we don't like doing number two's in our own lav!! What about elec?

Interestingly the site I started this thread with ie., Pont d'larch has a large carpark outside and we noticed elec hook ups, but no explanations as to who to see and what to do.

Can any of you seasoned lot throw some hints and tips our way.

PS. Generators.....................to watch t.v.................................oh pleeeeeeese !!

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Camping du petit port ....Nantes France

Swiss Farm International...........Henley on Thames UK

Camping Cap Blanc.............Albir/ Altea Spain

Duinrell...............Wassenaar Holland

Soto del Castillo............Aranjuez Spain

Interesting thread.......if it stays on campsites in towns and not generators.............

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
hee hee. Aires with loos? Certainly the one at Le Palmyre (near Royan) - well, it isn't on the aire, it's a public loo about 500m away and it was OK for me in August (on our way walking to 'town' to eat and couldn't be bothered to walk back and back again LOL - so I reckon it's gonna be OK the rest of the year.

The one mentioned at Honfleur also has a loo. Possibly two? One I was going to look at for interest rather than owt else positively stank. Pete said he did look another time, it was so vile as he emptied our cassette he became suspicious then realised it wasn't us!!! - completely bunged, over-bunged and added to .... that was when we were there last week. No way!!! None of the others we've stayed on so far have had loos, although one had elec - Le Treport. Also E7.00 a night, but borne is free and elec included. Dunno what Amp it is, we tripped it though, my fault, turning on too many things at once. Ooops.

Also stayed at Isigny sur Mer, Arromanches, Port en Bessin (they've moved that one off the quayside to the back of the town, it's bigger, it's OK but not wonderful), Le Crotoy (again) the small one behind the dunes at Berck sur Mer, St Valery en Caux, La Mailleraye sur Seine (both of these are totally fab) and must have been others I can't recall off the top of my head but all of those are within easy walk of those towns. Although La Mailleraye is a village. 2 boulangeries though, one open on Sunday arvo! (Borne tokens sold there too!)

Ooh yes - Le Mans - right by the river - cross the nearest bridge, doesn't look too lovely but as soon as you get across you are virtually on the town square! Cross the other one and have a bodge round the medieval 'Tanneries' before you grace the town itself with your presence - lurrrrvely.

Bayeux - part of a car park smack in the middle, can walk to all the attractions inc the cathedral, the tapestry, the WW2 cemetery, the museums, the heart of the city and the outskirts. We didn't overnight there though, just parked up for the day - free.

Also looked at another at an abbey, supposed to be really good Aire but only had two places really at either side of the borne properly surfaced with red asphalt but on a BIG slope and it was dark, dismal and dank, so we didn't even get out, just turned round and drove out. May look better in summer or something but we didn't fancy it at all a week ago. There was a sort of enclosure which appeared to have been surfaced at some time, now full of modern sculpture, overgrown and big gate padlocked with only personnel access. I noted the borne also had a chain and padlock around it. ??????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back