Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
A few years ago we went to a site just outside Bournemouth, which was described as a quiet family site. When we arrived the site was pleasant, clean and set amongst trees, exactly as described.

What the owners had 'Forgotten' to mention was that just behind the trees was the main runway for Bournemouth Airport. From 4pm until about 8pm there was a constant stream of aircraft practically clipping the trees as they came in to land. The following day we pointed out to the owner that his description was ever so slightly untrue and he gave us a refund.

Then there was the site not far from Wareham, which again was described as quiet, except for the constant stream of lorries shaking our tent at night, travelling from a nearby site along a road through the forest.

Has anyone else got sites which they remember for the wrong reasons?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
To be honest, I know both sites mentioned pretty well and used to store my van at the one by the airport.

As you litterally drive past a major entrance to the international airport to get to the site, it would be obviously noisy. Add to that the other side of the site is the main A338, and I dont think anyone could be suprised by the Noise all day and night

likewise, the site at wareham is within site of the wytch farm oil field and a mile or so from the train service depot, so again noisy 24hrs is a given

I recomend you do the same as me and many others and view the site using google earth before you book or visit. using this method you can see the layout, size and any local features you would rather avoid. all you need is the address or postcode

like this
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=BH2...a=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CA8Q_AUoAg
zoom in to see the caravans, the dual carriagway and airport:Eeek:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I remember one by the Thames near Taplow.

Just over the hedge was the ............................................................. M4

:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Kingsbury water park (CCC) three years ago first day there bliss, next day was a friday so it filled up with kids and they started to hunt in packs the parents just turned them out and sat about drinking until the early hours, the little darlings just rode around on bikes circleing the vans at one point it was like custers last stand, we left. kids should be left at home under the stairs :thumb:eek:r earning a living cleaning chimneys. ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Kingsbury water park (CCC) three years ago first day there bliss, next day was a friday so it filled up with kids and they started to hunt in packs the [HI]parents just turned them out and sat about drinking until the early hours,[/HI] the little darlings just rode around on bikes circleing the vans at one point it was like custers last stand, we left. kids should be left at home under the stairs :thumb:eek:r earning a living cleaning chimneys. ::bigsmile:

seen this often and it's not the kids to blame..

At a very relaxed farm site in Norfolk we had a weekend ruined by campers partying until the wee small hours around a camp fire .. loud music, shouting and acting like effing idiots ..
I knew there would be trouble when I saw them arrived, about seven or eight camper vans and assorted cars with tents set up camp wagon train style..
That's all very good fun.. but not when it's amongst others who want a peaceful nights sleep ..

give me a site with plenty of rules any day ...

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
From what I have read in a previous post, can I nominate Peterborough show ground.
Am intrigued to know why people choose to spend there holidays in a rainy windswept bog and actually pay for the privilege.:Blush:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Biarritz, Avenue Milady Aire in August. Packed in like sardines, right beneath the flightpath to the airport, and with a beach car park exit sending traffic between the parked vans, so peabrains' car horns and revving engines don't make for a good night's sleep.

First time we stayed there an old VW burst into flames due to a gas fault, fortunately on the end of a row, and les Pompiers attended quickly. No-one was hurt, but the neighbouring MHs had to do a Scooby-Doo exit to avoid getting singed. Being awoken at midnight to cries of 'Coupez votres tetes de gas!" did little for the nerves.

If you're heading down that way, try the aires at Anglet or La Barre instead and make good use of the Navette Plages bus service.

I could also add the NE corner of the forest aire at Biscarrosse-Plage which appears to be a permanent New Age Traveller/Crusty colony in summer. Roaming packs of unleashed hounds all day and trance music pumping all night long. Rest of the aire's fine, and it's big - just stay out of that corner.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back