Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Hi,

We are at last able to get a few days away from work and test out our new 5ver. Any suggestions of good sites in the UK? As we are only going to be able to get away for about 4 days we were thinking of somewhere within the South East so we don't use up all the time on the road. (We are based in Kent).

As it will be the first time we are booking both in this country and also with the 5ver can you tell me how you classify it when you book a site - caravan? We are members of C&CC if that helps at all but so far when we were using the van we never went on sites.

Not too worried when we start using it in France as we've always found their Aires to be fantastic and with plenty of room but my guess is you do it differently over here ::bigsmile:

Thanks
Mick & Marion

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Try MoanDix big pitch site guide - look on www.the-big-pitch-guide.com there is a comprehensive list there - works well for us and most of the site not only know what a 5'er is they welcome them and have the facilities necessary - good luck

Deleted User
We have stayed on the C & CC site at Normans Bay with our 8m 5er, very pleasant location and helpful wardens. Also stayed on Caravan club sites at Portsmouth and Durham, when booking explain what you have got and in our experience the wardens have been very helpful but try and get a hardstanding,not sure the wardens would let you on the grass anyway.
Happy Hols.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Many thanks for your replies. I will definitely look on the website and thanks also for the tip about the hardstanding - never thought of that :Doh:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, if you can manage a few days without electric.:Eeek: And you say your in the C and C Club.Why not try the Holiday sites with the C and C Club, always plenty of room and no need to book,::bigsmile: its a shame you never posted last week, as some of us have just been to a rally at Appledoore nr Ashford not far for you,:winky:::bigsmile: And had a nice time as always.:thumb: Bob.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not too worried when we start using it in France as we've always found their Aires to be fantastic and with plenty of room but my guess is you do it differently over here ::bigsmile:

Yes indeed, we love aires and use them almost exclusively .. but maybe time to re think France, 5ers are not permitted on aires .. I have seen one or two try to slip in discretely but they usually get moved on ..

re sites in the UK, have a look my Google Map , RV Suitable sites, link in my signature, you may find it useful ..

good luck

jim

OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Many thanks all,

Jim you have surprised me with regard to Aires in France :whatthe: I would have thought that there would have been plenty of room - even if a 5er parked among the lorries - just for one night. Oh dear will have to re-think that then...

Marion

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is a great Resource for RV Pitches Link Removed

As for the aires, lorrys are not alowed on them don't confuse the motorway aires system with the aires on the maps, they are dedicated to motorhomes. No lorries, or caravans alowed :thumb:

OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Oh good so the motorway aires are still ok then :thumb:

We've generally stayed on them as we only stop overnight and on the whole can't complain about the services offered. I thought for a moment they had banned us from them :thumb:

Thanks,

Marion

OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Hi all,

Just an update to say we've decided on Manston Campsite (near Ramsgate) as our first long weekend away. Booked in for 24th-28th September with no problems and very reasonable price.

Decided on this site after looking it up and reading the reviews plus it is only about an hour and a half from where we live so we can make the most of the time we have off work - oh and also my mum lives at Ramsgate so we can get to see her too :thumb:

If anyone's around pop by and say hi.

Marion and Mick

barbt

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
KENT
Funster No
Exp
two
Hi, we live in Kent, too.
A nice site we go to sometimes is at St Nicholas-at-Wade. Its just past Herne Bay going towards Birchington. Look for the camp site signs on the main road, go over the bridge, turn left and there you are. The entrance is not very visible from that approach so if you get to the church you've gone too far. It's a nice basic site, good loos and showers, lots of hot water, safe if you're taking children / grandchildren. Not expensive - just turn up and find a pitch - the campsite owner collects your money in the morning. if you want to phone ahead the number of 01843 847245.

You can wild camp on Sheppey - along the Shellness Road there are always MH parked up. We like to go to Dungeness, it's lovely there, and you can reach Rye from there too. Another place is Winchelsea beach - lovely walks and views. All these places are for wild camping.
Barbara

OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Thanks Barbara,

Never thought of Sheppey - and I originally came from Gillingham (not too far from there). Loved wild camping in our old MH but I think we will have to have a few more trips before I start wild camping in the 5ver.

For longer trips we love France but for long weekends we've got to explore this country more.

Tenterton, Herne Bay, Whitstable, Margate, Ramsgate etc. - oh they all bring back Sunday trips when I was a child ::bigsmile:

Marion

OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
I always think that to go away you have to go 'a long way' but really the South-East has loads of places to visit. I guess you just take for granted the 'seaside' that is all around you. Sorry, didn't mention Romney - but then the list could go on and on, Rye, Broadstairs, Westgate..........:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back