Site near Newcastle

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by olley, Feb 19, 2010.

1. olley

olley Funster

Hi guys off for a few days in Newcastle near the end of March, any recommends? Preferably close to town, can be all singing and dancing or bare bit of grass.

Olley

2. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Olley - is that Newcastle Upon Tyne or that other one in Staffs ?:Smile:

3. olley

olley Funster

Hi dellwood Newcastle upon Tyne, sorry should have said.

Olley

4. dellwood33

There are not a lot of sites close to Newcastle. The easiest & closest would be the Drift Inn at Seaton Burn, north of Newcastle. They allows overnight stopovers in there very large carpark . There is good food served and a friendly atmosphere .

Directions :- just north of newcastle upon tyne . heading north , take the a19 turnoff , then turn right at the roundabout towards seaton burn . we are located 500yds from the roundabout . caravans , motorhomes and american rv are welcome . we can provide water and some sanitation . emergence hook up only . heading south , take the crammlington turn off (a19) . turn right at the roundabout and take the seaton burn turnoff . easy access ..

[​IMG]

The Drift Inn
    Front Street
    Seaton Burn
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Tyne and Wear
    NE13 6BW

Tel: 0191 236 6780

5. olley

olley Funster

Hi Dellwood sounds good for an overnight, but we will be staying a few days.

Found Derwent Park on Ukcampsite which sounds ok, and you can use the local CIU which is within staggering distance. :BigGrin: I will ring them tomorrow.

Thanks

Olley

6. dellwood33

Quite handy for the Metro centre and from there you can get a train into Newcastle.
    Derwent Park is on the Red Kite Trail - was along there today with the dog. Don't forget to look up :BigGrin:

7. olley

olley Funster

Hi dellwood, the metro centre is the main reason for going, girls got to shop :BigGrin: I don't mind as she's a window shopper, very rarely buys anything, I usually spend more on a book and coffee. :BigGrin:

Anything historical see around Newcastle, apart from the wall? Any mines to go down?

Olley

8. dellwood33

There is a place called the Beamish Museum. Very large open air affair that will take you all day to get around. It has a mine that you can take tours down :Smile:

http://www.beamish.org.uk/Home.aspx

Are you taking a toad with you ? because parking in Newcastle is a mare.
    Historical in Newcastle itself ? - the whole place with the Castle, the Keep, the Bridges, not to mention the rejuvenated Quayside. Have a trip along the quayside & Dene Street on an evening & have your eyes opened to the Newcastle Party life :Eeek:

9. olley

olley Funster

Hi Dick yes we will have the toad, I would imagine parking at the Metrocentre will be ok, apart from that we "Do buses" so if you think that's the best option. Quayside sounds good, although at 60 I am not really a party animal anymore. :BigGrin:

Olley

10. dellwood33

The parking at the Metro Centre is free & there would be room for your RV in the coach park. You could park at the metro Centre & get a train from the Metro Centre train station, into Newcastle. Saves the pricey parking charges in Newcastle.:Wink:
    The tourist information office in Newcastle is at the Central Arcade, in the shadow of Greys Monument.

The Quayside at night is more of a spectator sport when you get to our ages, but as I said an eye openner :Smile:

11. mulaz

mulaz Read Only Funster

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  12. olley

olley Funster

Hi Mulaz if you look back a few posts you will see thats where I hope to stay. :BigGrin:

Olley

13. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

14. olley

olley Funster

Hi guys thanks for all the advice, just booked in to Derwent park, £70 for 4 nights. Thanks for the advice about parking behind the Baltic Centre Ralph, anybody know what's the area like late at night? Safe? or a no go area?

Olley

15. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

The other many car parks in that area are used for the Sage venue so are well lit and well used

16. dellwood33

The Gateshead side is on the opposite side of the Millenium Bridge from the lively quayside. As Ralph said, the sage carpark is well lit, but can get crowded if there is anything on at the Sage. Some smashing places for photography, especially floodlit if you are interested.
    When are you planning the trip ? - I could make myself available as a guide to Newcastle if you want, as I understand the locals & can communicate with them :BigGrin: - cost you a cup of coffee though :Wink:

17. wanttobeaway

wanttobeaway Read Only Funster

Once you are on the site I would just get the bus as it goes to Newcastle Via the metro center and they run every half hour till 11pm . It is not a very big site and only has a few places for large MH so once you are settled best to leave it, social club at the top of the road next door to a fish shop there is also a chinese and italian restaurant within walking distance. If you are taking the rv to the metro center best to park at the bus carpark as it has got places for mh next to the cars there and its closer to the train station also easier to get out when the traffic starts

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl...d=111678809681780160423.000480067db711fcd0394

18. olley

olley Funster

Hi wanttobeaway, we will be in a little old Nissan Micra, (and it is old) which we drag around on a trailer, so as long as there's a spot she will fit in. :BigGrin: Thanks for the map, really helpfull. :thumb:

We prefer to use the car if we can park ok. got caught out a couple of years back in Manchester with a late bus that didn't turn up, then the one that did, didn't go all the way, so we finished up walking a couple miles back to site in the rain. :Doh:

Thanks for the offer Dick, but do you speak suffuk? :BigGrin:

Just booked Thorntons Holt near Nottingham, to start off with, so that will be a nice 11 days away, finishing up with the Newark show on the Sat/Sun. Can't wait.!!

Olley

19. dellwood33

I spent a week in Suffolk last summer and could make myself understood :BigGrin:

PM sent

20. wanttobeaway

wanttobeaway Read Only Funster

If you are in Newcastle you should have a look at the discovery museum its quite good and its free and your lass could do a bit of window shopping in eldon square.