Site in/around Norrf Landan / Hendon- recommendations. (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
;)Hi All,
anyone recommend a site in a short train, tube or bus journey's distance from Hendon RAF Museum, London?
As a lad I used to go to RAF at home day in St Athans, South Wales and had the 'privilege' of sitting in the pilot seat of both the display Heinkel HE111 and Stuka dive bomber, I have the photos still. Anyway, found out that both of these display aircraft (after disappearing off my radar) are in the RAF museum in Hendon. To relive my past youth I wish to go up to the area for a few days and take in the museum, but have drawn a blank of places to call home in the MoHo. Anybody done the area and found a good site? I understand it may have to be outside the M25 ring of steel to avoid all sorts of charges for MoHo.

As always, all recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Trikeman.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
A propos of nothing,and totally 'off topic' I lived in Hendon-my dad served with a spitfire Sqdn there when he came back from Burma.
He also served at St Athan and so did Carolyn's father who was Canadian-they may have been there at same time,but we can't be sure.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
There is a site just off the M1 at Hemel Hempstead CC ? If you go there,READ the instructions,coming off the M1,you go past it on the other side of the dual carr. and have to go around the island and back to it,go slow when you get to the garage,as the turning is left ,right after the boundary,there is another CC site as you come of the M25 and head in towaeds London,however,when i was there a few years ago,i had to let the wife drive in as i held branches back and it was a tight 90Degs turn between sheds. Both surprisingly quiet,given their location.
I will have to look that one up.The H/H one,bus to station,station to Hendon...... "Chocks Away !!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
CC club site "Breakspear Way Hemel Hempstead " I think the other one off the M25 was Iver/Ivor Bucks ? Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Thanks for the recommendations/links.

What's the score with taking the MoHo within the M25? I have heard some horror stories about charges for MoHo's, does anyone know what these charges are for/how/where and costs if this is true.

Don't like the M25 at the best of times but venturing off it and being charged for it may sway me to just take the train.:LOL:

Regards,

Trikeman. ;)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
You could have a look at Lee Valley, though it may be a bit far over? www.visitleevalley.org.uk It's a large municipal site and outdoor pursuits area in Enfield, North London. I think the MH area is in a part called Dobbs Weir. Lots to see there apart from just a stopover.

Transport links to Hendon are good, but you'd need to look up the Transport for London website (www.tfl.gov.uk) Remember that buses in London are now 'cashless'! You can buy an Oyster card or pay with plastic.

Not sure what van you have, but check also on the tfl site that you comply with the LEZ (London Emissions Zone).

Hope this helps?

James

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi James, thanks for the pointers and good advice.
Indeed my Van and the locations suggested fall into the Low Emissions Zone (ref the TFL site)(y) including the museum itself - seems a costly thing to take a MoHo anywhere near London. I understood that that area of the country will squeeze any money they can out of you and this seems to be the case here, hate going into London at the best of times and to pay for the 'privilege' would hurt,,,,,,,, I may research outside of the M25 sites and go from there.:)

Regards,

Trikeman. ;)

elfish

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
london
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
If you google "lez compliance checker", one of the first on the list will be a tfl page where you can whack in your reg and it'll tell you if you can safetly come within the m25 without a fine or not.

There's also a telephone number on there for you to double check.

Edit: whoops! Apologies. Must read threads more closely before typing... Sorry trikeman.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hendon is on the Edgware branch of the Northern Line, but you have to get off at Colindale. Unfortunately this line doesn't go anywhere near far enough from central London so I fear you won't get there by a short train journey. Might be wiser to stay near a mainline station well outside London then hop onto the tube.

elfish

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
london
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
Can get train from st albans station to mill hill broadway station. RAF museum's 15 mins walk.

I'm sure that one of the sites mentioned earlier on this thread showed a site in st albans.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You could try ringing the museum, I bet they have been asked this question before.

But seeing as you live Somerset why not leave the MH at home and do it all by train? If you book ahead you may be able to get a cheapish ticket or go by coach from Bristol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back