LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I agree, radio based is the better (best) option..

On our present site we have pre pay meters, you buy a 1, 5 or 10 pound card.. it certainly focuses your mind on how much your using.. or wasting..
jim

Sounds excellent. As long as the card can't be stolen and similar issues.

Even a fully linked system costs time, you've got to have some deposit system or people can drive off so you double the office staff time for a visit.

There's no easy answer - yet. That advert for Barclay's non contact CC might point to a future solution, but so would an open CC and wired system if the punter would trust it.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
I agree, radio based is the better (best) option..

On our present site we have pre pay meters, you buy a 1, 5 or 10 pound card.. it certainly focuses your mind on how much your using.. or wasting..

If there is any unused credit when you leave it is refunded and the meter is zeroed, works fine on a small CL but would be labour intensive on a large site..

Since it was introduced many have commented that it's a fairer system, a small minority have had a moan.. but once explained they tend to agree.. albeit reluctantly. :Smile:

jim

That sounds like a good and fair system, one which I would be happy with. I don't like being charged for electric when I don't need it like in the bundles you see on some sites, in fact, I cant remember the last time I used a hook up.

steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sounds excellent. As long as the card can't be stolen and similar issues.

Even a fully linked system costs time, you've got to have some deposit system or people can drive off so you double the office staff time for a visit.

There's no easy answer - yet. That advert for Barclay's non contact CC might point to a future solution, but so would an open CC and wired system if the punter would trust it.

Hi

When you insert the card it 'charges' the meter to whatever value on the card, it is then removed and discarded.. so no theft issues unless someone un-hooks your lead and nicks your leccy :roflmto:

Recently we had a Itinerant stay for a few days without paying fees, but soon left as there was no free leccy .. if the old EHU system had been in place I'm sure he would have stayed until thrown off..

Most if not all decent sized sites have full time warden cover, so I think a wireless system with guests leaving a deposit and settling their account when leaving is fully workable, just as they take deposits for barrier or toilet keys.. I believe some Park home and static caravan sites use this system.

The most basic of systems suitable for small sites would be meters that are read manually by the warden.. but that is open to theft and possible dispute by the guest who may not realise how much they have used..

Another system utilises the mains cables to transmit data back to a computer. This system is used by the utility companies in many commercial premisses and no doubt in private homes too. The days of the meter reader are numbered.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well I only hooked on to this post because Nikki told me it was interesting :winky:

You whiners ought to chill out,

£12 per night? that is good value, in fact excellent value whether you have a car or not.

Some of us with kids see extras pile on at every opotunity and we do what the OP done. If we dont like it we dont go, simple as really.

rip of britain? no its called inflation and can be seen right accross europe,, we have just looked at our French site £60 per night, all bells and whistles and if we didn't like we wouldn't go, but we do like it so off we go in 3 days time. We pay it because we want to because of what is there.

Enjoy everybody and dont forget to wave!!:thumb:

whining about people whining? I like that :ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
we have just looked at our French site £60 per night, all bells and whistles and if we didn't like we wouldn't go, but we do like it so off we go in 3 days time. We pay it because we want to because of what is there.

£60 per night :whatthe::whatthe:... does that include room service and a valet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

that's eye wattering to say the least :Eeek: .. but it's your choice how you burn your dosh.. have a great time.. and stop winging about the wingers.. when you get to a certain age it's your birthright to be a winging grumpy .. :winky:

jim

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
£60 per night :whatthe::whatthe:... does that include room service and a valet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

that's eye wattering to say the least :Eeek: .. but it's your choice how you burn your dosh.. have a great time..
Seconded :Smile: The other day we booked 3 nights at CC Cherry Hinton for the last week of this month - just over £53 total I think

and stop winging about the wingers.. when you get to a certain age it's your birthright to be a winging grumpy .. :winky:

I decided last year that if I got any older I might have to start behaving responsibly - so next Saturday I shall celebrate my 10th birthday :Smile: Still reserve the right to grump a bit though :roflmto:

Graham

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Had this very conversation with a cornish campsite, and asked about theyre pricing structure, told him about the issue with paying for a car while in the motorhome and guess what, he said if i didnt have an awning i could take the car for FREE ::bigsmile: Saving 2.50 a night.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi We was at bonterra Park in Benicassim earlier this year with a MH Trailer & Smart Car & a awning, was told by the site we could have all but it had to be able to fit on the pitch which was ample size for all to fit easily. BUT on talking to an other couple on site who had come from La Manga to Bonterra and had booked with the C & C club carefree insurance rally booking system they tried to charge them extra car parking on both sites which was around £700 quite rightly he told them to stu** it as any body else heard of this ??? Pete:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
In July we stayed on a little stellplatz in small village of Moosbach just before the Czech border.

It was 5 euro (£4.13) a night, and included electric, water, chemical and waste water disposal, and free toilets.

No meters, just a notice board, a telephone number, and instructions to pay at the cafe backery in the village which opens at 06:30am each morning.

Such a pleasant change to be trusted to pay and totally different from rip off Britain.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
I have been spending the last 10 winters in southern Portugal and Spain and I'm telling you that what I have said is true.

I am not responding to your posts any more, it would seem that you don't want to know.

Doug...

Fantastic post Doug. :winky::winky::winky:

For goodness sake I only disagree with you !!!:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back