Site Fees (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
This topic may have been covered before but being new to this website I apologise in advance if it has. Anyway, here goes:-
we have noticed an increasing trend among site owners to charge extra for a car which is either towed or driven separately behind a m'home. This seems blatently unfair when you consider that once on site the m'home uses the same facilities as a caravan. Indeed there are benefits from our set-up as we are driving around their site in a small, greener car than the ones usually used to tow caravans. So why are we charged more? If we are aware of a sites double standards regarding fees, then we won't go. This is not penny pinching but a matter of principle!
:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
This is what you get in ripoff UK and it will continue in all its forms so long as there are suckers who are prepared to be victims.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
and the fee for a dog, even if there is no dogwalk facility.

and the fee for an awning, even though the pitch may well be big enough for one anyway.

but the 'extra' car fee is the biggest rip off...

a tugger will pull onsite with a 25ft caravan, unhitch and use his/her car as transport......no charge.

we pull onsite with a 25ft motorhome pulling a car.....just the opposite of a tugger.....unhitch and use the car as transport.......extra fee for the car.

wheres the difference please.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No

""This is what you get in ripoff UK........................."

and............France Belgiun Germany Italy Spain Austria Portugal etc etc etc etc

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Has anyone ever asked them why?

Boo

Yeah I've asked a site owner why he charged more for a motor home than a caravan. He said "motor homes take up more room", but when I said "how do you work that one out then" he sort of mumbled then said "look, I am not going to argue with you" and put the phone down on me. Big mistake, I phoned him back and told him what I thought of him with language that made even me blush.:whatthe:

The site is.. Mill House caravan park in Chelmsford Essex if you want to avoid it. I wonder why he called it "caravan park":RollEyes:

steve

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
I wouldnt pay it, on the way out i would drive over all his nice new grass edges, to p..s him of completley.

its descimination...isnt it?

do the site commandants pocket this extra cash then???

I won't let anyone bend me over and drop my pants...especially a jumped up parking attendant.

Well it is called the caravan club...not the motor home club

gad, i am on a soap box tonight!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The site is.. Mill House caravan park in Chelmsford Essex if you want to avoid it. I wonder why he called it "caravan park":RollEyes:

steve

I have used this site and wasn't charged extra for a car, it used to be a CCC site .. maybe things have changed.

Site charges as advertised

Pitch Fees from 1st April 2008 to 30th September 2009.

From ÂŁ10.00 per night per pitch which includes electric hook-up and up to 4 people.

ÂŁ1.00 per night per extra person.

ÂŁ1.00 per night extra for awnings.

That sounds pretty reasonable to me but have emailed for clarification re towed car .. will post when they reply.

jim

Last edited:
N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Definitely a rip off culture on some sites...

they're happy to charge around ÂŁ5 for an extra person but they won't reduce the fee by that amount if you're on your own:Doh: (and the bloodsuckers want to charge extra for me hound:Angry:)

ÂŁ1 + per night to wind out the awning.... whilst the tuggers add an awning bigger than their van for the same price..:Angry:

Best move on to that place they mentioned in one of the carry on films, I think it was Fircombe......

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

""This is what you get in ripoff UK........................."

and............France Belgiun Germany Italy Spain Austria Portugal etc etc etc etc

Is that a question or a statement??

Doug...

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Quote - Vote with your feet ! Don't use these sites - easy :thumb:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Most sites state the cost of a pitch is for a car and caravan and two adults ,or motorhome and two adults, that seems clear enough, if you bring extra gear such as an awning, extra car ,dog, children over 16, extra adults etc,or want electricity, surely you expect to pay for this don't you? If not don't use that site, join the CCC where on Rallies and THS all is included except extra adults in excess of two.:thumb::thumb:

Big Brian 56

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Morley
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not long enough
I too think its scandalous, though we don,t tow a car. Methinks one cheeky B****r has chanced his arm, got away with it, then thought, mmmmm nice earner here.What difference does it make to to a pitch , ITS THE BLOOMING SAME, car/caravan , motorhome/car, in fact some setups are somewhat bigger than the mh/car especially when the obligatory awning is put up . :Angry::Angry:

M

Mill House

Deleted User
Some Perspective

Yeah I've asked a site owner why he charged more for a motor home than a caravan. He said "motor homes take up more room", but when I said "how do you work that one out then" he sort of mumbled then said "look, I am not going to argue with you" and put the phone down on me. Big mistake, I phoned him back and told him what I thought of him with language that made even me blush.:whatthe:

steve

As the owner and operator of Mill House Caravan Park I thought it would be helpful to clarify the situation described by Chigman, our pitch fees for a motorhomes 8 metres long or less are ÂŁ10 per night including electric hook-up, 2 adults and 2 children and we charge ÂŁ12 for motorhomes over 8 metres long. We also charge an extra fee of ÂŁ1 per night for awnings whether on a motorhome or caravan, we do not charge for a pull out sun shade or for a towed car.
The reason that we charge a supplement for larger motorhomes is that in our experience the bigger units use more of everything, water, electricity, space and as we only have a limited number of hard standings can cause considerable damage to the grass.
Is it really fair for a 4m single axle basic caravan to pay the same as a fully loaded 10 metre American RV with expandable sides, air-con, washing machine dishwasher etc.
I am sorry if this seems unreasonable to you all put I would point out that even at ÂŁ12 per night we are a very competitively priced site that many of your fellow motorhomers enjoy and regularly visit.
It is a shame that Chigman has got so upset over the additional ÂŁ2 per night which is probably less than the cost of driving his motorhome 10 miles.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As the owner and operator of Mill House Caravan Park I thought it would be helpful to clarify the situation described by Chigman, our pitch fees for a motorhomes 8 metres long or less are ÂŁ10 per night including electric hook-up, 2 adults and 2 children and we charge ÂŁ12 for motorhomes over 8 metres long. We also charge an extra fee of ÂŁ1 per night for awnings whether on a motorhome or caravan, we do not charge for a pull out sun shade or for a towed car.
The reason that we charge a supplement for larger motorhomes is that in our experience the bigger units use more of everything, water, electricity, space and as we only have a limited number of hard standings can cause considerable damage to the grass.
Is it really fair for a 4m single axle basic caravan to pay the same as a fully loaded 10 metre American RV with expandable sides, air-con, washing machine dishwasher etc.
I am sorry if this seems unreasonable to you all put I would point out that even at ÂŁ12 per night we are a very competitively priced site that many of your fellow motorhomers enjoy and regularly visit.
It is a shame that Chigman has got so upset over the additional ÂŁ2 per night which is probably less than the cost of driving his motorhome 10 miles.

Thank you for your post and for replying to my email confirming the charges .. personally, I think they are very reasonable,.

jim

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007

I asked you a question at the end of the day which you answered by " I am not going to argue with you" and you promptly put the phone down on me. Maybe you were having a bad day but that's no way to treat a potential customer is it.
It's not about two quid either, it's about principle and I haven't got a big American RV with slide out's ect. Still, I had a great weekend not to far from you for four quid a night so happy days.::bigsmile:

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you for your post and for replying to my email confirming the charges .. personally, I think they are very reasonable,.

jim

Hi Jim

I never said the price was unreasonable, I just wanted a straight forward answer of my question to him thats all. On many sites motorhomes are charged more than tuggers and I think it's so unfair. At the end of the day a tugger potentially has a much bigger footprint than a motorhome has with the van, awning & tow vehicle, and they tend to drive in and out of the site more with the car so causing more wear and tear than a motorhome would. I know it's knit picking but I hate being charged more for the same or less. Rant over.

steve

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Thanks for coming on and fighting your corner:Smile: I think your prices are reasonable. However, I feel that on the same hardstanding pitch, with a fuse that trips at the same amperage, then motorhomes should pay the same as a caravan. Your reasons are in the extreme and just do not stand up. Its rare (very) to use an aircon in the UK. I don't know of many, if any, 10m motorhomes that have a washing machine, (and they would need a permanent hose connection to be viable anyway) I have never seen a dishwasher in an RV in this country, and what do slide outs have to do with anything. You could safely up your length to 34/36ft at the same charge as a caravan and not incur any additional costs. Once vans are over 36ft then your arguments become more valid, as most of those have a washing machine. Whatever your argument, charging more for a European van at 8.1m is IMO ripping them off, (they cost you no more than a 6m van) even if it is only an additional ÂŁ2::bigsmile:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

I still can see why the extra charge.

Surely there are other site users that have an older caravan/tent that use little on no electricity which are the swings to the RV's roundabouts.

Its really about maximising the take on someone who appears affluent enough to soak up the extra charges without really noticing.

Anyway I think the extra charge for a towed car is in fact a fine for motorhomers who are secret tuggers, serves 'em right for not being fully committed! :ROFLMAO:

G

Guy

Deleted User
I bought my motorhome because it was what I always wanted to do, not because others have them. I do not wave to others in motorhomes, for which I make no apology, however if I see someone in difficulties I will go out of my way to assist. This item on fees justifies why I take this approach. Some people are just born to winge!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The debate about about site charges and why site owners charge for extras will go on and on until the day comes when all sites have a fixed price for a pitch irrespective of size of van, awning, car, trailer or whatever the guest brings and install leccy meters ..

This is what it is all about, I believe sites are trying to recover the high cost of leccy by adding in extras, as by law cannot charge it as a separate item unless it is metered ..

So, you pay for a pitch and if you need leccy you pay for it, but if you don't need or want it you aren't subsidising the ones who do.. this would be fair and equitable to all.. including the site owner.

jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I do not wave to others in motorhomes, for which I make no apology,

Some people are just born to winge!

Hi Guy
faces_135.gif
are you whinging about people whinging? Surely not :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Is that a question or a statement??

Doug...

OK I will do it in joined up writing. Similar charges are made on many sites throughout
Europe. Whether or not it is a rip off is open to debate but it is certainly not unique to
" rip off Britain "

G

Guy

Deleted User
Apparently I am!! :cry:What a shock!!:Doh: Its great to have some fun and happy times which I do frequently.:Smile: This web site gives me endless fun and laughter at how seriously some people take life - its only a game! Thanks for the wave and putting back on the right track. But thoughts about the start of this thread remain the same.

PS Its not that I cannot find a wave, its just that I don't wave back!!

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I don't think the Caravan Club has extra charges for towed cars does it?

Graham

Stroud Hill does, which is one of the sites I was thinking of when I first posted. We went there for a New Year break, had a wonderful meal and spent an awful lot of money with them, BUT they tried to charge for our small Yaris and when we queried the charge we were told " because that's how it is". No rational thinking. You just have to surmise it's because they can. They did however say that we could leave the car in the car park and then there would be no fee! Please someone explain the joined up thinking there.
Guy, you may think it's whingeing, but I see it as someone just taking the ****.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back