Site Fees

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by TheTwoOfUs, Aug 4, 2009.

1. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

This topic may have been covered before but being new to this website I apologise in advance if it has. Anyway, here goes:-
    we have noticed an increasing trend among site owners to charge extra for a car which is either towed or driven separately behind a m'home. This seems blatently unfair when you consider that once on site the m'home uses the same facilities as a caravan. Indeed there are benefits from our set-up as we are driving around their site in a small, greener car than the ones usually used to tow caravans. So why are we charged more? If we are aware of a sites double standards regarding fees, then we won't go. This is not penny pinching but a matter of principle!
    :Angry::Angry::Angry:

2. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

i think its called greed

3. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

This is what you get in ripoff UK and it will continue in all its forms so long as there are suckers who are prepared to be victims.

Doug...

4. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

Has anyone ever asked them why?

Boo

5. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

no seems like a job foure you ahahah

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

and the fee for a dog, even if there is no dogwalk facility.

and the fee for an awning, even though the pitch may well be big enough for one anyway.

but the 'extra' car fee is the biggest rip off...

a tugger will pull onsite with a 25ft caravan, unhitch and use his/her car as transport......no charge.

we pull onsite with a 25ft motorhome pulling a car.....just the opposite of a tugger.....unhitch and use the car as transport.......extra fee for the car.

wheres the difference please.

7. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

why should they? you vote with your feet:BigGrin:

regards

8. billym

billym Read Only Funster

""This is what you get in ripoff UK........................."

and............France Belgiun Germany Italy Spain Austria Portugal etc etc etc etc

9. chigman

chigman Read Only Funster

Yeah I've asked a site owner why he charged more for a motor home than a caravan. He said "motor homes take up more room", but when I said "how do you work that one out then" he sort of mumbled then said "look, I am not going to argue with you" and put the phone down on me. Big mistake, I phoned him back and told him what I thought of him with language that made even me blush.:Eek!:

The site is.. Mill House caravan park in Chelmsford Essex if you want to avoid it. I wonder why he called it "caravan park":RollEyes:

steve

10. Patrick

Patrick Read Only Funster

I wouldnt pay it, on the way out i would drive over all his nice new grass edges, to p..s him of completley.

its descimination...isnt it?

do the site commandants pocket this extra cash then???

I won't let anyone bend me over and drop my pants...especially a jumped up parking attendant.

Well it is called the caravan club...not the motor home club

gad, i am on a soap box tonight!

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I have used this site and wasn't charged extra for a car, it used to be a CCC site .. maybe things have changed.

Site charges as advertised

Pitch Fees from 1st April 2008 to 30th September 2009.

From £10.00 per night per pitch which includes electric hook-up and up to 4 people.

£1.00 per night per extra person.

£1.00 per night extra for awnings.

That sounds pretty reasonable to me but have emailed for clarification re towed car .. will post when they reply.

jim

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  12. N Luyetund

N Luyetund Deleted User

Definitely a rip off culture on some sites...

they're happy to charge around £5 for an extra person but they won't reduce the fee by that amount if you're on your own:Doh: (and the bloodsuckers want to charge extra for me hound:Angry:)

£1 + per night to wind out the awning.... whilst the tuggers add an awning bigger than their van for the same price..:Angry:

Best move on to that place they mentioned in one of the carry on films, I think it was Fircombe......

13. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Is that a question or a statement??

Doug...

14. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Quote - Vote with your feet ! Don't use these sites - easy :thumb:

15. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

Most sites state the cost of a pitch is for a car and caravan and two adults ,or motorhome and two adults, that seems clear enough, if you bring extra gear such as an awning, extra car ,dog, children over 16, extra adults etc,or want electricity, surely you expect to pay for this don't you? If not don't use that site, join the CCC where on Rallies and THS all is included except extra adults in excess of two.:thumb::thumb:

16. Big Brian 56

Big Brian 56 Read Only Funster

I too think its scandalous, though we don,t tow a car. Methinks one cheeky B****r has chanced his arm, got away with it, then thought, mmmmm nice earner here.What difference does it make to to a pitch , ITS THE BLOOMING SAME, car/caravan , motorhome/car, in fact some setups are somewhat bigger than the mh/car especially when the obligatory awning is put up . :Angry::Angry:

17. Big Brian 56

Big Brian 56 Read Only Funster

Name and Shame the tight *******

18. Mill House

Mill House Deleted User

Some Perspective

As the owner and operator of Mill House Caravan Park I thought it would be helpful to clarify the situation described by Chigman, our pitch fees for a motorhomes 8 metres long or less are £10 per night including electric hook-up, 2 adults and 2 children and we charge £12 for motorhomes over 8 metres long. We also charge an extra fee of £1 per night for awnings whether on a motorhome or caravan, we do not charge for a pull out sun shade or for a towed car.
    The reason that we charge a supplement for larger motorhomes is that in our experience the bigger units use more of everything, water, electricity, space and as we only have a limited number of hard standings can cause considerable damage to the grass.
    Is it really fair for a 4m single axle basic caravan to pay the same as a fully loaded 10 metre American RV with expandable sides, air-con, washing machine dishwasher etc.
    I am sorry if this seems unreasonable to you all put I would point out that even at £12 per night we are a very competitively priced site that many of your fellow motorhomers enjoy and regularly visit.
    It is a shame that Chigman has got so upset over the additional £2 per night which is probably less than the cost of driving his motorhome 10 miles.

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Thank you for your post and for replying to my email confirming the charges .. personally, I think they are very reasonable,.

jim

20. chigman

chigman Read Only Funster

I asked you a question at the end of the day which you answered by " I am not going to argue with you" and you promptly put the phone down on me. Maybe you were having a bad day but that's no way to treat a potential customer is it.
    It's not about two quid either, it's about principle and I haven't got a big American RV with slide out's ect. Still, I had a great weekend not to far from you for four quid a night so happy days.:BigGrin: