Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On a related note, I'm reminded how at a certain N Devon campsite (when we had the old '75 VW Combi) our neighbours only used to put their windbreak up whenever we returned from the beach.

I think it was to stop us from selling them drugs.

If a man's pitch is his castle, then for sure his windbreak is his castle wall.

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Had it happen to us when a family walked under out wind out awning as a short cut they even squeezed by our table, when I mentioned to them they looked shocked that it bothered me but not as shocked as they where when I sat on their pitch sunbathing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A couple of months ago we were on a pitch that around 8 children of varying ages seemed to think was a shortcut/extension of the play area. At one point they were chasing each other round the MH. Decided enough is enough. I decided to get the wind break out and use part of it to block off the area between the MH and a hedge. One of the fathers then squeezed himself between the MH and the pole. He came gack to do it again and seemed a bit annoyed that I had tied the pole to the cycle rack. Next time I think I will just up chair and go sit on their pitch. Think thats a great idea.:thumb:

Last edited:

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Maybe a coupe of these windbreaks ;-)

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
It is indeed bad form, but we noticed it only seems bad form in the UK, continentals never seem to worry about it..Perhaps it is the 'stiff upper lip and vaguely isolationist' part of our [HI]physici [/HI] make up :Blush: ::bigsmile:

Certainly not Jaws! Those who don't worry about it ... have bad manners just the same ....they probably are the ones who taught not to worry to the next generation !

Each year when my parents were taking my sister and I to a camp site for summer hols , before we had time to get out of the car , we were given the rules; 1) don't forget , walls here are only fabric so you whisper! 2)you don't cross other people pitches and always take the normal path , even if longer way! 3) WE are on hols as well, so you will do the washing up!

LOL .... You could not argue with my mum I'm telling you!

Frankie:Smile:

PS: Oh I do hate when someone comes near to my tent/caravan/ JJ'hymer. Ask JJ ...it drives me mad!!

Last edited:

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
It's been a LONG time since I camped in the UK and have never motorhomed there but have to say I've never noticed this in Germany, France, Italy, Holland, Belgium...

That said I would never walk across someone else's pitch, it would be akin to walking across their front garden, feels like trespass to me!!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
[HI]You ought to be like a southerner (North/south devide) and put loads of wind breaks to the boundary of your pitch[/HI]:Doh:

I'm afraid thats lost on me:Sad:

I happen to be one of them there suvveners who does happen to have a windbreak...........for the purpose its designed for and thats to act as a windbreak, not as a means to mark a boundary and a North/South divide?!!!:Eeek:

I thought it didnt matter where we came from, we're all fellow Funsters and have one thing in common and thats the joy of motorhoming, regardless of where we happen to live, or in my case, wherever Queenie see's fit to post me:Eeek:

I know for a fact that I wouldnt walk through anyones patch, windbreak or no windbreak and it seems the hight of bad manners on a site.......I also know that if I saw you stranded or broken down by the side of a road, I certainly wouldnt ask which side of the North/South divide you came from, I'd simply get the kettle on, my tools out and do what I could to assit you in getting on your way:thumb:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Maybe a coupe of these windbreaks ;-)

Link Removed

Ooooh i like that, where did you get it from/see it:thumb:

I'd have a decent excuse as to why I keep sheep in the motorhome, well one sheep called Dolly and a pair of large green wellies baaaa:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
When we where away last bank holiday with our granddaughter she and I where playing football and when ball rolled down side of someone's caravan I apologised when getting it back
Like previous posters have comment it about its respect for some ones privacy
After all you pay for a pitch not a footpath or football ground

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Wow, ive never seen so many people get bothered by things in one day.

When in the rare occasions that we stayed on campsites with the kids, the moment we pulled up we sent them out with a football over to the next doors caravan/motorhome. When there, they used to use the caravan as a goal and get playing straight away.

Wasn't long before someone came over to moan, at which point I used to burst in to tears and say that I just can't control them anymore.
We used to wake up next morning and bingo, they had all gone,,,

leaving the haganaps to run riot on a nice empty camp-site.

Just the way motorhoming was intended. :Cool::Cool::Cool:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Certainly not Jaws! Those who don't worry about it ... have bad manners just the same ....they probably are the ones who taught not to worry to the next generation !

Oddly.......... I was not thinking of France Frankie :Smile:

More sort of Italy, Hungary, Croatia and now thinking about it, the very southern end of France ( but chances are the people in question were not French ! )

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I am surprised no one has moaned about a funsters meet. All those vans parked close together, i am sure when we are all staggering back in the dark we have walked in front of behind down the side of half a dozen motorhomes before finding the right one.

Andy

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I am surprised no one has moaned about a funsters meet. All those vans parked close together, i am sure when we are all staggering back in the dark we have walked in front of behind down the side of half a dozen motorhomes before finding the right one.

Andy

There's only a problem when you end up trying to get in the wrong van, or worse the wrong bed! :Eeek:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Andy

It's a bit different isn't it Andy? When you want to have everyone at home for a birthday , you never complain having everyone around, do you? We all chose to come to a rally/show and park on a restricted area so that a maximum of us can come along. No one forces us! We want to be together. When you have lots of room on an aire and a van choses to stick to your entrance door I find it a bit weird. If you want a chat you can always walk to another van and give a shout. "hello.... anyone in?... would you fancy a cuppa?...ok .... a drink?":RollEyes: so why park that close to each other... safer? I don't think it is less safe to park 10 metres away:winky:

Shows/Rallies.. you want to have a cuppa with a maximum of people, put names to faces, enjoy the life in group. If you don't like it , then you don't do it again, simples!

Amicalement
Frankie:Smile::Smile:

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Ooooh i like that, where did you get it from/see it:thumb:

I'd have a decent excuse as to why I keep sheep in the motorhome, well one sheep called Dolly and a pair of large green wellies baaaa:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Here you go PP Bear ::bigsmile: someone will need their own Stile to get over this onto the pitch :ROFLMAO:

Link Removed

frost-lee-ladder-stile-over-dry-stone-wall-cumbria-england-united-kingdom.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back